• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube numbers up to highest on record in 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simple simon

it would have been even higher if the Northern line "Northern Heights" electrification and new line project had been completed - instead of the lines being closed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
it would have been even higher if the Northern line "Northern Heights" electrification and new line project had been completed - instead of the lines being closed.

And the capacity challenge on the tube would be even greater than it already is....

AM9

Veteran Member
And the capacity challenge on the tube would be even greater than it already is....
Ironically, if we are speculating with tube 'what ifs?' if the Epping-Ongar stretch was still open, we might now have through trains that have encouraged development along the A122, (now mostly A414). That would have demanded reinforcement of the traction supply there and some platform lengthening.
If the Northern Line extension to Bushey Heath was completed, that would have spurred development of Elstree and lower Bushey Heath around the A41. LT would have needed to find another site to locate the RT maintenance though.
Extensions to Tube lines have played a major part in the growth of outer London suburbs, - just as Crossrail has.

Mikey C

Established Member
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-statement-of-accounts-2018-19.pdf

page 12

Numbers were in millions for

• 2016/17 1,378
  • 2017/18 1,357
  • 2018/19 1,384 (highest on record)

Any thoughts?

Looking at the headlines in the report

Tube passengers 2% up on the previous year
Bus passengers 1.2% down on the previous year

Reflecting the rather unenthusiastic attitude to buses at the moment, with cuts in the network and many routes adversely affected by street changes (or at least the roadworks while they are being done) designed to make streets more friendly to cyclists and pedestrians...

trebor79

Established Member
I never use the bus in London. I wouldn't even know where to begin to find out which bus went to my destination, which stop it departs from and at what frequency. I imagine journey times are both long and very variable due to traffic congestion. And I would recognise the stop I needed to get off at, certainly not until it was too late and possibly not at all.
The tube is very friendly for those of us from out of town. The hardest part is working out which exit to use at stations like Piccadilly Circus (and that's only difficult when thousands of printing fingers have rubbed all the detail of the diagram!).

PeterC

Established Member
Looking at the headlines in the report

Tube passengers 2% up on the previous year
Bus passengers 1.2% down on the previous year

Reflecting the rather unenthusiastic attitude to buses at the moment, with cuts in the network and many routes adversely affected by street changes (or at least the roadworks while they are being done) designed to make streets more friendly to cyclists and pedestrians...
Quite right about buses, they only enourage the elderly and disabled to get in the way of the lycra brigade.

bionic

The tube fulfils a purpose, however unpleasant it may be at times. Buses though are something else altogether. Horrible and slaves to traffic congestion. I get free tube and bus due to my partner working for TFL, but I still walk most places less than 3 or 4 miles apart because I find it far more preferable and enjoyable. I have no idea why anyone would choose to pay to travel short distances in London when they could easily walk or cycle.

I guess as the population increases the passenger numbers will increase. I know that doesn't reflect the bus score but maybe over time that will also balance out. Sadly, I fear the more buses they cut, the more they will use it as justification to make further cuts. But then I've already pretty much said I hate buses and don't use them... so what do I know?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess as the population increases the passenger numbers will increase. I know that doesn't reflect the bus score but maybe over time that will also balance out. Sadly, I fear the more buses they cut, the more they will use it as justification to make further cuts. But then I've already pretty much said I hate buses and don't use them... so what do I know?
Don’t forget though they are still increasing buses in outer London, there are a good few new routes and other improvements due to commence between now and December. This is really where TfL should be focussing on its improvements. The majority of the cuts are in the central zones or on corridors where there are multiple routes. Aside from a few short hops such as Holborn to Aldwych most central London buses seem to be carrying fresh air.

Mikey C

Established Member
Don’t forget though they are still increasing buses in outer London, there are a good few new routes and other improvements due to commence between now and December. This is really where TfL should be focussing on its improvements. The majority of the cuts are in the central zones or on corridors where there are multiple routes. Aside from a few short hops such as Holborn to Aldwych most central London buses seem to be carrying fresh air.

The select increases in outer London are far smaller than the cuts further in. I live in Zone 3 for example, and have been affected by frequency reductions. The buses I take while not full certainly aren't transporting fresh air, and if they do that's usually because of horrible bunching.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The select increases in outer London are far smaller than the cuts further in. I live in Zone 3 for example, and have been affected by frequency reductions. The buses I take while not full certainly aren't transporting fresh air, and if they do that's usually because of horrible bunching.
That isn't really the area I was talking about though; buses in the Congestion Charge zone for example are largely empty, because they seem to spend most of the time stationary. This is the area that really has had much larger cuts, and quite rightly so.

sprunt

I never use the bus in London. I wouldn't even know where to begin to find out which bus went to my destination, which stop it departs from and at what frequency.

This seems a little hyperbolic - you're posting on here, so you're clearly someone familiar with the internet - I'm sure you could have a guess that the TfL website would be a good place to start looking.

And I would recognise the stop I needed to get off at, certainly not until it was too late and possibly not at all.[/QUOTE]

This is a more reasonable concern. For information, London buses all have PIS displays and announcements of the next stop name these days, and it certainly makes it much easier to use routes/visit areas one is unfamiliar with.

The congestion thing is true, especially in central London - a bus from one bit of the West End to another can take a ridiculous amount of time.

Meerkat

Established Member
All the media implying that London is a big stabfest can’t be helping bus numbers.
Don’t know the stats but scuttling into a tube station through barriers feels much safer than being stood out on the street at a bus stop.
Could Über be hitting bus numbers? Won’t touch commuters but must hit out of towners- they now have an easier way of getting a known cost cab than finding out what bus to catch.

moogal

All the media implying that London is a big stabfest can’t be helping bus numbers.
Don’t know the stats but scuttling into a tube station through barriers feels much safer than being stood out on the street at a bus stop.

I can't imagine any but the most gullible buy into those sort of scare stories. Especially not regular commuters.

Meerkat

Established Member
I can't imagine any but the most gullible buy into those sort of scare stories. Especially not regular commuters.

Are you saying that there hasn’t been an increase in violence in London and the disturbing tales of stabbings are made up scare stories?
Commuters almost have to travel, but there must be a lot of discretionary journeys on buses that could be made other ways or not made at all.

Mikey C

Established Member
Are you saying that there hasn’t been an increase in violence in London and the disturbing tales of stabbings are made up scare stories?
Commuters almost have to travel, but there must be a lot of discretionary journeys on buses that could be made other ways or not made at all.

The stabbings have nothing to do with regular bus users though, it's not random strangers who are being attacked across London

Meerkat

Established Member
The stabbings have nothing to do with regular bus users though, it's not random strangers who are being attacked across London

Even if you aren’t a victim being in the area of violence, or the threat of violence, isn’t appealing

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It just was in the Arndale, Manchester, though and there certainly are examples in London, as the Met Policing TV programme is showing.

Mikey C

Established Member
It just was in the Arndale, Manchester, though and there certainly are examples in London, as the Met Policing TV programme is showing.

But again I don't see why this would have an material impact on bus passenger numbers

From a London point of view why would buses be seen as dangerous, but not tube or NR stations?

Meerkat

Established Member
But again I don't see why this would have an material impact on bus passenger numbers

From a London point of view why would buses be seen as dangerous, but not tube or NR stations?

Tube stations are gated, bus stops are out in the open.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tube stations are gated, bus stops are out in the open.
To be honest given the amount of fare evasion and vagrancy on the Underground I think I feel happier on the bus.

Fare evasion on the outer stations is so prolific and blatant now, they don’t even bother to seem to wait to double up behind a paying customer anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.