• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube passengers trapped for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H

HR2

Don't think LUL are ever gonna learn to get people out rapidly. You'd think that after 30 minutes they'd use their common. Apparently not. Still I suppose it's the old 'money matters' syndrome again

Dave A

I wish I was there, would've given me an excuse to finish reading The DA Vinci Code! :( :p

Surely there must of been many safety procedures or loads of other useless antics they have to go through before they get onto the track, let alone get the passengers out?

Tom B

Established Member
Hmm - isn't the procedure that after x minutes, they debunk? Having discharged the current of course.

H

HR2

There is a procedure for tunnel detrainments yes. But probably it takes second place to the need to save costs in further disrupting the service. Remember that HSE insist on a track walk after the public have been so detrained. Also there could be insurance claims if a member of the public has an accident during the procedure. Sad world we live in.

Sturdjos

How have detrainment procedures changed from your day, DistrictLine? (If they have at all!)

H

HR2

Sturdjos said:
How have detrainment procedures changed from your day, DistrictLine? (If they have at all!)

Very little if at all. In my time they were still sluggish to instigate 'on track' detrainments but once the decision was made as many staff as possible were drafted in to ensure that the public were safe. They never waited more that an hour to start the procdeure though and each station had 'cluster lights' on hand for extra illumination while the operation took place.

I suspect that it takes so long now as there are hardly sufficient staff around to ensure safety in the event of such tasks being needed. There's only a crew of one on a train now as well. Wait until there is a major incident and the on board folk panic and something disastrous occurs. The 'bean counters' will then realise that you don't really save money or lives by cost cutting

TomCrame

Cockfosters said:
Hmm - isn't the procedure that after x minutes, they debunk? Having discharged the current of course.

Not any more, and it hasn't been like that for a good seven years or so.

The reason the trains were detained so long was that after current was taken off around the normal time, a member of staff started to work on the track nearby and couldn't be contacted for his 'Special Line Clear Message' in order for current to be recharged.

Status
Not open for further replies.