• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube stock modernisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
The TfL Board Papers for next Programmes and Investment Committee have details of the £528 capital upgrades to rolling stock (this doesn’t include cost of routine maintenance)

What is happening pages 50-59
Key deliverables and how many trains in each fleet at this stage page 60
Amounts per line page 61

There also appears to be first part of a new non line specific risk

Also appears first Metropolitan train gets lift in October (are they already that old that capital upgrades start)

As the info is in tables, or long, not going to quote it all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
The TfL Board Papers for next Programmes and Investment Committee have details of the £528 capital upgrades to rolling stock (this doesn’t include cost of routine maintenance)
How on earth does this get categorised as Capital Expenditure, when even the document states it is a scheduled routine heavy overhaul during the life of an asset? Does TfL not have any accountants/auditors to explain to them the difference?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How on earth does this get categorised as Capital Expenditure, when even the document states it is a scheduled routine heavy overhaul during the life of an asset? Does TfL not have any accountants/auditors to explain to them the difference?

I'm not an accountant but as I understand it you can capitalise expenditure if it prolongs the life of an asset.

Taunton

Established Member
I'm not an accountant but as I understand it you can capitalise expenditure if it prolongs the life of an asset.
It's well defined, the cost of a capital rebuild has to be a defined percentage of the original price, adjusted for inflation, and it has to enhance the capability. Replacing the air con doesn't count; fitting air con where there was none before does. Otherwise it goes in Repairs & Renewals as running costs.

I know TfL doesn't do tax but a taxman's definition here is a good example https://www.rfm-more.co.uk/2015/04/repairs-and-renewals-capital-or-revenue-expenditure/

Status
Not open for further replies.