• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube to change 'ladies and gentlemen' announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks for the explanation, it must be terrible for someone who has issues of that kind, is it biological or a mental condition?

Being trans is currently felt by WPATH etc to be a condition with a likely physical cause or causes.

Gender Dysphoria is specifically NOT a Mental Illness , although due to societal attitudes many trans peopel do struggle with psychological / psychiatric co-morbidity

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Being trans is currently felt by WPATH etc to be a condition with a likely physical cause or causes.

Gender Dysphoria is specifically NOT a Mental Illness , although due to societal attitudes many trans peopel do struggle with psychological / psychiatric co-morbidity

Thank you, a great shame for those people, its obviously not fully understood, makes you realise how lucky you are.

rebmcr

Established Member

Thank you, a great shame for those people, its obviously not fully understood, makes you realise how lucky you are.

Indeed, and the whole point of these announcement changes is an attempt to make them feel a little less excluded.

Josie

I'm not against changing how we say things but I've no idea why it's happening, I know it's to do with the whole gender fluid/neutral thing but I don't know what that means and no one has explained to us what it means or why we're doing it.

Post 111 in this very thread, written by yours truly:

I'm a woman, and so "ladies and gentlemen" includes me - if the announcement was just "good morning gentlemen," it wouldn't (...) Some other trans people - my spouse, for one, and a fair few of our close friends - are neither male nor female. "Ladies and gentlemen" doesn't include them in the same way that "gentlemen" doesn't include me. Nobody finds that phrase offensive. But why specify two groups of people exclusively, when you can address your message to everybody in the station whether or not they fit into those categories? Using 'everyone,' or 'passengers,' or just not addressing the audience of the message directly at all doesn't somehow stop anybody from accessing the information, it just takes a step back from the idea that everyone hearing it is male or female.

(there's more context in the full post 111, and many other places throughout this thread, if anybody else hasn't read it and doesn't know why some people would prefer something other than "ladies and gentlemen".)

Lrd

Established Member
Post 111 in this very thread, written by yours truly:

(there's more context in the full post 111, and many other places throughout this thread, if anybody else hasn't read it and doesn't know why some people would prefer something other than "ladies and gentlemen".)
I missed that, it certainly helps, thank you.

Josie

I missed that, it certainly helps, thank you.
You're very welcome :) I'm usually happy to answer any genuine questions about this sort of thing if I'm able to, and I gather there are at least a few other trans people on this thread and on the wider forum who I hope would say similar. The main thing is about making the world more accessible and friendly to more people, not witch-hunts or change for the sake of change. Tiny change, tiny or no difference to most people, big positive difference to a small number of people.

dcsprior

Who would be excluded from ladies and gentlemen?

Excuse my ignorance, or maybe I`m missing something here, but surely we are either male or female ???

Many thanks for the explanation, it must be terrible for someone who has issues of that kind, is it biological or a mental condition?

Indeed, and the whole point of these announcement changes is an attempt to make them feel a little less excluded.

Thats nice, I fully support it then, thanks.

We could probably all learn from the above.

As I've said upthread, I really don't understand the issues here, but whatever we all understand about gender etc, there are real people who feel excluded by the phrase "ladies and gentleman". If this feeling of exclusion can be removed with no detriment to others, why wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.