• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube to change 'ladies and gentlemen' announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Come on London Underground, it's not rocket science is it?!:lol:

No, you're right, it's not. But the current systems were not designed with this in mind, so it means the software at every single station will need modifying, and bear in mind there is no one standard system used at every station. We're now into the cost of designing new software, integrating that will all the various systems at every station, and having people go round doing all of this.

It may well also be necessary to record new announcement fragments if the relevant introductions don't already exist.

Sorry but I can't see taxpayers and farepayers seeing this as money well spent.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
If your a transperson then won't this diminish their right to be identified as a man or woman if they've gone through the operation?

There are trans men who are male, there are trans women who are female, and then there are non binary people who are neither/both. This change relates to the latter group and has nothing to do with those trans people who are male or female (incidentally, those people are male/female regardless of whether they've had surgery/are waiting for it/want it).

sk688

When I first read this I thought it must be April fools day...

They are cutting costs everywhere. At the last engineering work where the Hammersmith branch was closed on the Met there was no replacement bus, there is ALWAYS a RRBS when that branch is closed. Reason for not having one: CUTBACKS

Absolute idiots !!!!!!

Sorry don't understand this but

Did you mean Hammersmith-Paddington branch,cause that's H+C and Circle

As for the changes, Don't really mind them.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In the short-term at least, the current software makes no provision for this. So automated announcements would have to be re-programmed three times per day.

(This would then no doubt lead to the wrong greeting getting played somewhere along the line, which doubtless someone would find offensive).
How many pre-recorded announcements actually require such a greeting though?

Service updates are supposed to start "Customer service update."
The security announcement is supposed to start "Welcome to ____ station."
Weekend engineering notifications are supposed to start "This weekend there are planned track closures..."

TUC

Established Member
Even most of those who say they want to be the opposite sex want to be a lady rather than a gentleman or vice-versa, so the traditional greeting would still be appropriate. Making this change seems to be to address the issues of a minority of a minority. I agree with those who say that 'ladies and gentlemen simply sounds more polite than 'hello everyone'.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, you're right, it's not. But the current systems were not designed with this in mind, so it means the software at every single station will need modifying, and bear in mind there is no one standard system used at every station. We're now into the cost of designing new software, integrating that will all the various systems at every station, and having people go round doing all of this.

It may well also be necessary to record new announcement fragments if the relevant introductions don't already exist.

It was so much cheaper, better and easier when all that had to happen was the person at the station picks up a microphone... Although I can well imagine that person getting bored out of their skull with having to make the repetitive announcements we have to suffer these days...

Via Bank

*sigh* really? We're now saying that it's going to be some massive, supremely complex technical undertaking and so we shouldn't do it?

The software will simply need to be reconfigured, as it will surely have been designed for (and if it's not, LUL should consider moving to a different supplier anyway.) Once it's done at one using that particular software package, it simply requires a copy-paste to do it at other stations. LUL does use different software packages, but it is nonsense to suggest (as you do) that it is a different system at every station. There is a limited set of software packages in use.

If it is to replace 'ladies and gentlemen' with a chime, the job is literally to substitute references to LadiesAndGentlemen.wav with BingBong.wav. If it is to replace it with newly recorded 'good morning' fragments or similar, which could be added for a fee to the next set of recordings acquired from the voice artists, it looks something like this:

Code:
if hour >= 5 && hour <= 11 {
    play("goodMorning.wav")
} else if hour >= 12 && hour <= 16 {
    play("goodAfternoon.wav")
} else {
    play("goodEvening.wav")
}

That's it. If LUL's suppliers for public address systems are anything approaching competent, this will be quick, cheap, and painless.

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
*sigh* really? We're now saying that it's going to be some massive, supremely complex technical undertaking and so we shouldn't do it?

The software will simply need to be reconfigured, as it will surely have been designed for (and if it's not, LUL should consider moving to a different supplier anyway.) Once it's done at one using that particular software package, it simply requires a copy-paste to do it at other stations. LUL does use different software packages, but it is nonsense to suggest (as you do) that it is a different system at every station. There is a limited set of software packages in use.

If it is to replace 'ladies and gentlemen' with a chime, the job is literally to substitute references to LadiesAndGentlemen.wav with BingBong.wav. If it is to replace it with newly recorded 'good morning' fragments or similar, which could be added for a fee to the next set of recordings acquired from the voice artists, it looks something like this:

Code:
    play("goodMorning.wav")
} else {
    play("goodEvening.wav")
}

That's it. If LUL's suppliers for public address systems are anything approaching competent, this will be quick, cheap, and painless.
And if the software is some horrible impenetrable thing written by a third-party, write a cronjob to replace the ladiesandgentlemen.wav with goodmorning.wav, goodafternoon.wav and goodevening.wav at each relevant point of the day :D

theshillito

I heartily encourage gender-neutral language across all public-facing/speaking roles. It's not a case of being offended, it's a case of just being nice to everyone and being inclusive. It makes no difference to the majority of you, but it can mean the world to those it does. Heck, I prefer neutral pronouns myself, so this news pleases me a lot.

As far as formality goes, TfL are honestly behind the times on this. A significant number of companies are using more informal language when talking to users and customers. I personally quite like "hello everyone" as a way to start announcements. It's friendly, it's long enough to get attention and, as mentioned, it's inclusive. "Good morning", etc is still rather formal, so it depends on what exactly TfL wanted to achieve.

I suppose the question is, when this was brought up in a business meeting, did someone say "we need to be more inclusive" or did someone say "we need to be more chummy with our customers to give people a more positive experience"? "Hello everyone" covers both, so it's a win-win in my book.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Code:
    play("goodMorning.wav")
} else {
    play("goodEvening.wav")
}

I hesitate to be controversial, bit 1600 and onwards is evening?!

Surely evening is 1800 and onwards?

Lets not short change Afternoons!

LiftFan

Sorry don't understand this but

Did you mean Hammersmith-Paddington branch,cause that's H+C and Circle

As for the changes, Don't really mind them.

The Hammersmith & City line did used to be a branch of the Met, but I'm guessing for ease TfL gave the service from Hammersmith to Barking its own separate line with timetable.

Via Bank

As far as formality goes, TfL are honestly behind the times on this. A significant number of companies are using more informal language when talking to users and customers. I personally quite like "hello everyone" as a way to start announcements. It's friendly, it's long enough to get attention and, as mentioned, it's inclusive. "Good morning", etc is still rather formal, so it depends on what exactly TfL wanted to achieve.

When I was routinely travelling from Waterloo Jubilee line, there was one platform PSA whose announcements always began with "good evening, and welcome to Waterloo." Earlier versions of the KeTech Ditra system in use at some mainline stations were configured to say the same thing (initially followed by a "thank you for travelling with Inter-City.") Simple, not overly formal but not too stuffy, no implicit assumptions about the passenger's gender or anything else. And it even gives you a rough indicator as to the current time. I'm all for it.

Maybe having a longer lead-in will encourage people to think a bit more before programming pointless announcements about contactless (often after the gatelije when it's too late), the Dangleway, this weekend's planned track closures, air pollution*, etc.

* off topic I know, but really. I heard this o a Saturday at Waterloo recently: "air pollution is forecast to be high in London today. Walk, cycle, or use public transport." I heard this as I was walking away from the concourse, having alighted from public transport, with my bicycle, which I then mounted to complete my journey. Maybe those announcements would be better targeted at the motorists I saw idling outside on Waterloo Road, who had presumably driven into London for a day out?

bramling

Veteran Member

Code:
    play("goodMorning.wav")
} else {
    play("goodEvening.wav")
}

Magic money tree strikes again?

I never said it was a massively complex process, but by the same token making the change (apart from doing it as and when systems become due for updating) is still a job that will require time spent and thus money. I think people underestimate just how much financial pressure LU is working under at present. We have trains being cancelled due to not enough drivers and stations closing due to not enough staff, management posts being culled and change programmes being axed or deferred. I just can't see users being overly happy when their train is cancelled or their station is closed then finding money is being spent on making a political change to how announcements are constructed.

As an aside, as someone who prefers minimal announcements, it feels like revolving doors to have had nearly a decade of hearing how wonderful it is to have announcements start with "ladies and gentlemen", yet now all of a sudden it is so terribly wrong. No wonder many staff, especially train staff who in practice can more or less say what they want within the realms of decency, just say what they personally feel most comfortable with, or in some cases just don't bother at all.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why not just say "Good morning/afternoon/evening..." followed by whatever the announcement is about. It should be obvious who is being addressed without people getting their knickers in a twist.

One wonders why they didn't just do it instead of sending out a virtue signalling press release to accompany this complete non event.

bramling

Veteran Member
One wonders why they didn't just do it instead of sending out a virtue signalling press release to accompany this complete non event.

I've noticed various posters on TfL which prominently feature the wording "The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has"... Am I alone in feeling rather uncomfortable with this? I can't help but think TfL has become too politicised. Yes it happened with Ken and Boris, but things seem to have gone further and uglier since Khan arrived on the scene.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've noticed various posters on TfL which prominently feature the wording "The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has..."

If an organisation is being told to do something they either don't want to do or they expect some PR fall out from it - or both - then this is exactly what I would expect them to do so that they don't pick up the blame when it all goes wrong in PR terms.

However, I do agree that they should not personalise it with the name of the office holder.

bramling

Veteran Member
If an organisation is being told to do something they either don't want to do or they expect some PR fall out from it - or both - then this is exactly what I would expect them to do so that they don't pick up the blame when it all goes wrong in PR terms.

However, I do agree that they should not personalise it with the name of the office holder.

Depends on how one sees things I suppose. The fares freeze, for example, may be seen as a good thing if it means someone pays less for his travel, but not good as it has further shafted TfL's finances. Needless to say the publicity fails to mention the latter.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Depends on how one sees things I suppose. The fares freeze, for example, may be seen as a good thing if it means someone pays less for his travel, but not good as it has further shafted TfL's finances. Needless to say the publicity fails to mention the latter.

My point exactly; it's the Underground's way of saying they wouldn't have done *whatever* if it was up to them.

Josie

This might sound harsh but, aren't there bigger issues at hand? How is ladies and gentlemen offensive? I'm more concerned with the lack of step free access in some stations than whether you identify as man, woman, non binary etc, will this change make services run on time? Will our fares get cheaper? No, I know we have to be inclusive and I completely understand that, but isn't this just PC gone too far?? If your a transperson then won't this diminish their right to be identified as a man or woman if they've gone through the operation?
Hello! Binary trans person here - that is to say, my gender is one of the two traditional western ones which most of the UK recognises. I'm a woman, and so "ladies and gentlemen" includes me - if the announcement was just "good morning gentlemen," it wouldn't. It's not a question of finding the word 'gentlemen' offensive, it just doesn't include me, and if that were an announcement aimed at all passengers it would just sound like they can't possibly imagine anybody other than men using the station.

Some other trans people - my spouse, for one, and a fair few of our close friends - are neither male nor female. "Ladies and gentlemen" doesn't include them in the same way that "gentlemen" doesn't include me. Nobody finds that phrase offensive. But why specify two groups of people exclusively, when you can address your message to everybody in the station whether or not they fit into those categories? Using 'everyone,' or 'passengers,' or just not addressing the audience of the message directly at all doesn't somehow stop anybody from accessing the information, it just takes a step back from the idea that everyone hearing it is male or female.

Bear in mind that gender is a social construct. Our Western/British society is historically based around a binary gender system of men and women. Other societies and cultures vary, some have three or more discrete genders, or people with no gender, or people whose gender is a mixture. We have that too - it's not very common and most people don't recognise it exists, but small things like this are the small steps that are leading towards more people understanding gender variance, and towards non-binary and gender variant people feeling less excluded by society. No of course it won't remove steps or make trains run on time. But neither did renaming Shepherd's Bush Market, introducing contactless card payments or opening the Night Tube. TfL can do more than one thing at once!

"PC gone too far" usually means "I want some people to have an equal status to the rest of us, but not *that* equal" or "but not *those* people." Have a think about why you want to draw a line somewhere.

As a final aside - "the operation" is a fallacy. There is no single operation that makes somebody trans or changes their sex/gender, and even if there were, whether or not a particular person has had it is none of anybody's business except (in certain cases) their doctors and healthcare professionals.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hello! Binary trans person here - that is to say, my gender is one of the two traditional western ones which most of the UK recognises. I'm a woman, and so "ladies and gentlemen" includes me - if the announcement was just "good morning gentlemen," it wouldn't. It's not a question of finding the word 'gentlemen' offensive, it just doesn't include me, and if that were an announcement aimed at all passengers it would just sound like they can't possibly imagine anybody other than men using the station.

Some other trans people - my spouse, for one, and a fair few of our close friends - are neither male nor female. "Ladies and gentlemen" doesn't include them in the same way that "gentlemen" doesn't include me. Nobody finds that phrase offensive. But why specify two groups of people exclusively, when you can address your message to everybody in the station whether or not they fit into those categories? Using 'everyone,' or 'passengers,' or just not addressing the audience of the message directly at all doesn't somehow stop anybody from accessing the information, it just takes a step back from the idea that everyone hearing it is male or female.

Bear in mind that gender is a social construct. Our Western/British society is historically based around a binary gender system of men and women. Other societies and cultures vary, some have three or more discrete genders, or people with no gender, or people whose gender is a mixture. We have that too - it's not very common and most people don't recognise it exists, but small things like this are the small steps that are leading towards more people understanding gender variance, and towards non-binary and gender variant people feeling less excluded by society. No of course it won't remove steps or make trains run on time. But neither did renaming Shepherd's Bush Market, introducing contactless card payments or opening the Night Tube. TfL can do more than one thing at once!

"PC gone too far" usually means "I want some people to have an equal status to the rest of us, but not *that* equal" or "but not *those* people." Have a think about why you want to draw a line somewhere.

As a final aside - "the operation" is a fallacy. There is no single operation that makes somebody trans or changes their sex/gender, and even if there were, whether or not a particular person has had it is none of anybody's business except (in certain cases) their doctors and healthcare professionals.

I hope a few people on this thread take note (instead of taking offence).

Thank you for contributing.

rebmcr

Established Member

Great piece of clarification, really well-written!

Via Bank

Hear hear. Very, very well put. Thank you for writing this.

Josie

Thanks! Got a bit carried away and went on for longer than I intended, but this sort of objection to inclusivity comes up a lot - it becomes a bit of a pet peeve.

TheNewNo2

I must say that I am a little dubious about the whole non binary thing, it smacks a bit of telling young boys and girls that they are not properly male or female if they don't conform to traditional gender stereotypes.

I understand the thought here, but while sex is biological, gender is an entirely mental construct. You're in a way right, that non-binary people are frequently about gender nonconformity, but it's not the same thing. One can be stereotypically female while not considering yourself female. Non-binary people (and I should point out that some people are sexually non-binary, in that they have chromosomes neither XX nor XY) do not see themselves as either male or female, and frankly I don't think any of us have the right to say that someone's internal identity is incorrect.

If a trans person identifies as a male or female then what is the problem with being called a lady or gentleman?

Trans people generally identify as a particular gender. This is about people who don't.

When I first read it I thought it was some kind of joke. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Speaking to a few staff just now, they have no intention of implementing this stupid change -- in fact one of them who currently doesn't use any specific introduction will now make very sure he uses "Ladies & gentlemen".

Congratulations on your coworker's pettiness. I'm sure that makes them feel a much better person.

I mildly dislike the "hello everyone" informality, however nowadays I don't think that's significant. I use "morning all" or "afternoon everyone" in emails which go out to LU higher-ups, despite their being on probably 10-100 times my salary.

Moving from the gendered "Ladies and gentlemen" to a more gender-neutral language hurts no one. It does however have significant mental benefit to a small number of people. Take a step back and imagine that instead of people being grouped by male/female, they are instead grouped as to whether they like Coke or Pepsi (Tea or Coffee, McDonalds or Burger King, take your pick of two arbitrary but substantially similar items). Suppose that you do not like Coke or Pepsi. Now, it may not seem like much, but imagine when every form you fill out demands you choose Coke or Pepsi. That people look at you strangely in the Coke drinkers bathroom. That every announcement refers to Coke drinkers and Pepsi drinkers. Individually these things aren't much, but they're all minor indignities which add up and make you feel excluded, an outcast. And every day it beats on you like you're out in the rain without an umbrella. You don't have to be non-binary to understand that that can be an added stress which is entirely unnecessary.

AM9

Veteran Member
... Take a step back and imagine that instead of people being grouped by male/female, they are instead grouped as to whether they like Coke or Pepsi (Tea or Coffee, McDonalds or Burger King, take your pick of two arbitrary but substantially similar items). Suppose that you do not like Coke or Pepsi. Now, it may not seem like much, but imagine when every form you fill out demands you choose Coke or Pepsi. That people look at you strangely in the Coke drinkers bathroom. That every announcement refers to Coke drinkers and Pepsi drinkers. Individually these things aren't much, but they're all minor indignities which add up and make you feel excluded, an outcast. And every day it beats on you like you're out in the rain without an umbrella. You don't have to be non-binary to understand that that can be an added stress which is entirely unnecessary.

Maybe a better example would be that which I have seen at Watford General Hospital. On more than one occasion, I have as a visiting outpationt needed to check in via a screen. About two years ago, the system insisted that a religion was selected. Pretty-well all proper religions were represented (i.e. no mention of Jedis) but there was no option for 'none'. If none was selected, you couldn't complete the check-in process! To the many who have no need for a religion, that is an effrontery, - similar to how a masculine/feminie binary only selection option must be to some.

Josie

Maybe a better example would be that which I have seen at Watford General Hospital. On more than one occasion, I have as a visiting outpationt needed to check in via a screen. About two years ago, the system insisted that a religion was selected. Pretty-well all proper religions were represented (i.e. no mention of Jedis) but there was no option for 'none'. If none was selected, you couldn't complete the check-in process! To the many who have no need for a religion, that is an effrontery, - similar to how a masculine/feminie binary only selection option must be to some.
This is a really good analogy, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.