• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tuesday - worst day of the week mentally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
As the title suggests. Don't know if it's currently because we're seeing the grimmest death stats on Tuesdays (albeit the most realistic ones) or maybe if you like your job especially, you don't actually mind going into the office on a Monday morning and saying hello to your colleagues, most of whom you probably won't have seen over the weekend barring the weekend of the works' Xmas do or possibly a summer party.

Plus there always seemed to be much more traffic on the roads, and while Thursday had similarities, at least as a Monday to Friday worker you could console yourself in the fact that there's only one more day until the weekend.

Even as a shift worker, when Monday wasn't always "Monday", Tuesday was still pretty grim!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’d agree. I find I think by the end of a Monday “well done - that’s the first day done”, Wednesday “that’s me got to the hump of the week - downhill to the weekend from here”, Thursday “woohoo - one more day until the weekend”, and then Friday “get in - it’s the weekend”.
As you can see, Tuesday is missing - it has nothing going for it.

Crossover

Established Member
I suppose at the moment it is a bit - I am generally working Monday in the office and the rest from home at the moment, so only seeing my colleagues one day each week. I have to say that generally I don’t have better or worse days - I largely enjoy my work and the days can sometimes all merge into one mass!

D365

Veteran Member
I’m glad to know that others share my thoughts about 9-5 Tuesdays!

PG

Established Member
Even as a shift worker, when Monday wasn't always "Monday", Tuesday was still pretty grim!
I used to find the second night shift of the week was often better than the first (irrespective of what day it was) simply because I'd normally have had a decent sleep prior to commencing as opposed to an intermittent sleep before my first night.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
To be honest, my mood doesn't tend to lift until Thursday at the earliest.

Working from home has merely strengthened my opinion that we should be rebalancing our time towards more leisure. A four day working week would be a good move towards this.

PG

Established Member
Working from home has merely strengthened my opinion that we should be rebalancing our time towards more leisure. A four day working week would be a good move towards this.
Being north of the border where our schools are not yet open but plans are being made it seems that some may only be open (to pupils) for four days each week with Wednesday being for cleaning between two sets of pupils attending Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday.

Anyway this gets me thinking about the idea of a four day working week -
Should it be four consecutive days or (as above) two times two days with a day off in between?​

nlogax

Established Member
Should it be four consecutive days or (as above) two times two days with a day off in between?

Depends on the business you're in and what the expectations of your end customers are - but it's a fine idea in theory. Hopefully many companies are now in a decent position to provide flexible working arrangements because of *gestures wildly*.. all this!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Being north of the border where our schools are not yet open but plans are being made it seems that some may only be open (to pupils) for four days each week with Wednesday being for cleaning between two sets of pupils attending Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday.

Should it be four consecutive days or (as above) two times two days with a day off in between?​

Personally, rather than having a longer weekend, I think there should be an element of employees being able to choose which of the five weekdays they have off. I think it would make it easier for companies to cover and allow employees to choose if they want a long weekend, or a broken working week.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Depends on the business you're in and what the expectations of your end customers are - but it's a fine idea in theory. Hopefully many companies are now in a decent position to provide flexible working arrangements because of *gestures wildly*.. all this!

For me, it's not just about flexibility - it's about more time out of work altogether.

Iskra

Established Member
I work shifts across the full 7 days of the week. I find this means I don't dislike any day as Monday/Tuesday are just another day. Yet I still get a Friday feeling regardless of whether I'm off on Saturday or not and when I get a weekend day off I tend to enjoy it more and use it more productively. Normally my shift patterns mean I get 2.5 days off a week too which is nice.

I think the main thing is to just try view things positively and make the best of whatever your working week is. It probably helps that I decide when I work each week though.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Plus trying to find a last-minute hotel for somebody in London and the bigger cities on a Tuesday night used to be an absolute nightmare and often, what was available was at a rate significantly above company budget! The next worst night was Wednesday but that was like a Sunday night in comparison. Obviously most hotels are almost empty or closed right now.

CC 72100

Established Member
I have to agree with not liking Tuesdays. I have however found that the key period in making a week go quickly is the 36 hours from Tuesday evening to Thursday morning.

That makes Tuesday evenings and Wednesday evenings as important to help in passing the week so a good choice for a weeknight activity that is very 'different' to what you normally do. Pre-COVID I played football on a Wednesday night and found it helped with the middle section of the week.

If you do something on Tuesday night - your Monday night is standard, then the next time you have a 'standard' night - aha, you're 3 days of the week done and over the hill now.

If you so something Wednesday night - well when you're there at the start of the 36-hour period contemplating that it's still only Tuesday night and how rubbish Tuesday is, just think, the next standard evening you get will be Thursday night and you're practically at the weekend then.

My 36 hour and different evening theory could be a load of rubbish, but I've found its helped me get through less-than-enjoyable weeks and the grimness of Tuesday on occasions.

Altrincham

Working a standard full-time Monday to Friday, I have to agree that Tuesday can be a bit of a struggle. Prior to enforced working from home, being in the office on a Tuesday meant that more meetings were planned in because there were usually more people physically present on a Tuesday in my office than any other day of the week. Generally, the most demanding days at work are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Which is fine but the issue that I have with a Tuesday is that it is also the worst night of the week on television (in my opinion). So the day can’t even be rounded off with any decent TV.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The one thing I'll say in Tuesday's defence is, one year of one job, it was my late start and a slightly shorter shift than some other days. then my company streamlined the working hours and any redeeming features quickly disappeared!

robbeech

Established Member
In "normal" times, whatever they are, at least over the summer months (Generally May through September) Tuesday is generally my "own" day. Festival prep tends to be based around Wednesday and Thursday, with perhaps rigging on site on the Thursday. They run through to Sunday evening and Monday is spent de-rigging and travelling home. Tuesday is the day where the least amount of stuff work wise happens for me. That said, it's usually the only day i have to do the washing, deal with any mail, and other admin work, mow the lawn, make sure the right bin is by the gate for the neighbour to put out on Thursday morning as i'll likely not be there, deal with any vehicular maintenance that needs doing. So whilst its my day OFF, it tends to be every bit as busy if not busier than the rest. So from a "Worst day of the week mentally" point of view, i'd say in my job, i don't get the time to think about it. Monday on the (often) long drive home after very little sleep, covered in mud and dust is probably the time to reflect at the very least.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’d agree. I find I think by the end of a Monday “well done - that’s the first day done”, Wednesday “that’s me got to the hump of the week - downhill to the weekend from here”, Thursday “woohoo - one more day until the weekend”, and then Friday “get in - it’s the weekend”.
As you can see, Tuesday is missing - it has nothing going for it.

100%! I’ve always thought this. Glad ots not just me.

Tuesday, if it were a food, would definitely be celery.

I love celery. Hate Tuesdays. Do I need help?

xotGD

Established Member
Tuesday has become 'ONS Data Day' in my mind. The only thing that differentiates it from the rest of the week at the moment.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think having regular events early in the week are important. It could be participating in a sport, hobby or other activity.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I think having regular events early in the week are important. It could be participating in a sport, hobby or other activity.

Think it'll be eating out Tuesdays during August with the Government incentive.

Then sport the Wednesday evening to burn off what you consumed Tuesday :D

nlogax

Established Member
Tuesdays are fine. Fridays - when frantically following up on stuff that your colleagues have only just returned to you before they close their laptops for the week..yeah, Fridays are the worst.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Tuesdays are fine. Fridays - when frantically following up on stuff that your colleagues have only just returned to you before they close their laptops for the week..yeah, Fridays are the worst.

But you expect frantic Fridays now and then, and at least once the work is done you can usually shut off for two days. Tuesday is a day between two other working days.

Status
Not open for further replies.