• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tuesday's 19:05 Manchester Picc to Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone had any more information in regards to what delayed this train between Birmingham and Cheltenham on Tuesday evening?

A person on the Cross Country Facebook page alleges that a Voyager originally forming a Plymouth to Leeds service was coupled to the rear of the Bristol train at Birmingham and left with the passengers originally on the Leeds train still onboard.

Sometime after leaving Birmingham, someone pulled the pass com, as the service was in the Bromsgrove area and supposedly only then, did the driver only know about the rear set/passengers thinking it was still going towards Leeds.

I believe the Leeds train was being sent towards Bristol to ensure Cross Country had a sufficient number of Voyagers overnight at Barton Hill after an earlier person hit by a train incident.

I'm lead to believe it's possible the driver may not have known about the extra Voyager being attached if they hadn't turned up before the attachment took place/possibly faulty TMS only showing the driver details of the front set.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I'd be even more amazed if a driver didn't know the front set was attached!

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone had any more information in regards to what delayed this train between Birmingham and Cheltenham on Tuesday evening?

A person on the Cross Country Facebook page alleges that a Voyager originally forming a Plymouth to Leeds service was coupled to the rear of the Bristol train at Birmingham and left with the passengers originally on the Leeds train still onboard.

Sometime after leaving Birmingham, someone pulled the pass com, as the service was in the Bromsgrove area and supposedly only then, did the driver only know about the rear set/passengers thinking it was still going towards Leeds.

I believe the Leeds train was being sent towards Bristol to ensure Cross Country had a sufficient number of Voyagers overnight at Barton Hill after an earlier person hit by a train incident.

I'm lead to believe it's possible the driver may not have known about the extra Voyager being attached if they hadn't turned up before the attachment took place/possibly faulty TMS only showing the driver details of the front set.
The 1903 and 2003 ex Birmingham to Leeds was restarted with the 2003 using the HST off the 1903. The attachment does look like a balancing move as one of the ECS to the depot at Bristol was canceled which was off the Voyager from Cardiff. The voyager from Cardiff service formed the 1903 restart to Leeds.

I'm not sure about the pass com but it 1M86 (1952 Exeter to Birmingham) picked up the passengers at Bromsgrove to take them back to Birmingham.

train_lover

Two passengers had boarded the incorrect train. Once they realised their mistake they pulled the passcom. Nothing more to it than that.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Two passengers had boarded the incorrect train. Once they realised their mistake they pulled the passcom. Nothing more to it than that.

The post I've seen on Facebook gives the impression that a train load of passengers wanting stations between Birmingham and Leeds were unintentionally left on the coupled Voyagers, leaving Birmingham towards Bristol.

I'm assuming this isn't the case and only a far smaller number were on the wrong train.

If this is the case, I question why the Bristol train was at a stand for almost an hour and also why XC organised the SSO at Bromsgrove for the Exeter to Birmingham train, with it simply being passenger error.

train_lover

The post I've seen on Facebook gives the impression that a train load of passengers wanting stations between Birmingham and Leeds were unintentionally left on the coupled Voyagers, leaving Birmingham towards Bristol.

I'm assuming this isn't the case and only a far smaller number were on the wrong train.

If this is the case, I question why the Bristol train was at a stand for almost an hour and also why XC organised the SSO at Bromsgrove for the Exeter to Birmingham train, with it simply being passenger error.

The internal email I read stated two female passengers but of course it could of been more than that.

Saperstein

I too would be surprised if it was just two passengers who had made an error, it happens daily when passengers make a mistake and there is hardly ever an SSO unless the railway have made a mistake.

For that matter why was the Bristol train held for an hour following a passcom activation? It’s just reset locally with a T key isn’t it on Voyagers?

Established Member
If the TMS threw a wobbly over it then it could quite easily be sat there for ages. Also if there was no TM in the front set then the driver would have to walk back and find the pulled chord to reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.