• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tunnel Boring Machines and Tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
As the crossrail TBM is being disassembled today, I wondered about the following questions, can anybody help?

1. Is a TBM reusable on a different project, is it designed for one type of ground condition or is it totally knackered after one project?

2. Can a TBM of say UIC gauge be used to bore out say a W6 gauge tunnel or are there better techniques?

3, Can the cutting head be changed to suit different ground conditions? eg could the crossrail TBM be used to drive a new tunnel through the pennines?

4. Does the design of a TBM vary according to the ground conditions? eg crossrail goes through London clay, pennines are hard rock.

5. how does time taken to tunnel vary according to how hard the strata is? eg london clay soft (when wet anyway), pennines hard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Yes, but I couldn't find the thread when I looked again several times.

Apologies for the duplicate post.

If you ever ewant to see a pots or a thread click on your user name in the top corner then statistics and it will let you look at your previous posts or threads

Status
Not open for further replies.