• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Tunnel Of Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Theres some pretty smart smashes in that, some of them remind me of the Daytona 500, 1 guy gets loose, gets into a spin and then collides with the pack
Where is this tunnel, Kazakhstan :?:

Ben

Dartford Crossing! :tongue1:

For the Pedantic lil' Buggers out there, The above comment is meant as a Joke.

David

Established Member
And what did every single accident in that clip have in common?

Yep, you guessed it, excessive speed....

TheSlash

Established Member
And what did every single accident in that clip have in common?

Yep, you guessed it, excessive speed....

Nothing wrong with excessive speed, just if you are going to do it in that tunnel, get a proper racing car and make it even better

David

Established Member
Nothing wrong with excessive speed,

There is plnty wrong with excessive speed. I see prats every day who have near misses because they are concentrating on going as fast as possible, but not concentrating on what's in front of them. And because of these pillocks, I've had several very near misses including 1 where I only just avoided putting my van on it's side while taking avoiding action.

If anyone wants to see for themselves what it's like on the roads during the day, just PM me, and I'll happily take you out for a day and show you....

Coxster

Established Member
There is plnty wrong with excessive speed. I see prats every day who have near misses because they are concentrating on going as fast as possible, but not concentrating on what's in front of them. And because of these pillocks, I've had several very near misses including 1 where I only just avoided putting my van on it's side while taking avoiding action.

If anyone wants to see for themselves what it's like on the roads during the day, just PM me, and I'll happily take you out for a day and show you....
Why can't your Flying Banana just fly over everything? ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
I drive a commercial vehicle too, i've had it wound upto 95mph with the turbo screaming, it was quite possibly vehicle sex 8-)

Excessive speed is acceptable as long as you do it in the appropriate place and also in a safe manner. If you are swerving and taking risks then no, it is not acceptable but if you are on a motorway with hardly any traffic in the inside lane then I think it's acceptable. Shame people don't give a toss about tired driving tbh

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where is this tunnel, Kazakhstan :?:

A few other duplicates of this video claim it's in Russia.

if you are on a motorway with hardly any traffic in the inside lane then I think it's acceptable.

It might be ok because there's less people about, but at higher speeds the chance for error is reduced, meaning the chance of something minor causing you to lose control of a vehicle is greater - meaning the driver could be KSI, and also let's not forget the cost of the aftermath of an accident (Police, Ambulance, Congestion, Cleaning Up, etc.)

Nick W

Established Member
The tunnel is lefortovo tunnel in Moscow.

From wikipedia:

Lefortovo tunnel is a recently completed tunnel in Moscow, Russia. It is located on the third circular highway in Moscow. It has been nicknamed "The Tunnel of Death" due to its high accident rate and a famous video compilation circling around the Internet containing various accidents recorded by monitoring cameras.
At 3.2 km long it is the longest in-city tunnel of Europe. The Yauza River runs over it and water leaks in at some points. When the temperature reaches -38 degrees like it did in the winter of 2005, it causes the road to freeze.
>>> Users please note the authenticity of this "video compilation" is not guaranteed, and there are indications the widely circulated media clip may be a hoax. At least two parts of the clip suggest that it is a hoax: at 00'49" a car comes "flying" over another one, which is not possible on such a flat road. Moreover, at 00'57" a truck hits the right wall of the tunnel and when it bounces off there seems to be a second truck coming out of the wall.
According to the hoax, all accidents on the video took place on the same day. There is no way that so many serious accidents would take place in one day and the tunnel would still remain open for that day. If anyone can verify any further information about the tunnel and/or the video, please post to this site.

The lorry was suppose to travel on the other side but it lost control and crashed through the wall. You can see concrete dust as it came through the wall.

Tom B

Established Member
If excessive speed was "OK", the speed limits would be higher...

Several idiots around here use excessive speed, and prat around whilst driving. I have to say the one who ended up in a ditch and seriously injured deserved all she got.

LondonBVE

Mass Media here reported saying that Russia Car Accidents rates stands the most. For once they even said that Russia Drivers are not properly trained to drive. Sorry for the ppl in this forum who is a russian and drives, but this is a reported one.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I suppose speeding is OK, just like trespassing on railways is Ok, afterall, if the road/line is quiet, there isn't much risk, and you're not likely to get caught, and of cource if you are sensible about it your pretty safe. I mean lots of people do it, and they are alright, so whats wrong with it. Anyway, if you don't go onto the track, just staying on the embankment or going a bit off the platform end, what's the problem?
P.S, I'm joking here, and I think both tresspass and speeding are bad, and wish people who did both were more likely to get caught, and when they did the punishments were harsher. I'm just trying to make a point that we can't condemn things like railway tresspass yet condone speeding. Of cource, it's important to remember that (AFAIK) tresspass has never been responsible for the death of an innocent person (I'm talking about pure tresspass, not tresspass and vandalism or anything like that, and that includes vandalising fences to get access to the line), yet many have died or been seriously injured due to speeding drivers, on all types of roads and under all conditions. Of cource, some people speed all the time and never have accidents, yet some people regularly tresspass on railways and are never killed or even have near misses, yet that doesn't make it fine to do either.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It would be interesting to know if drivers in Russia have to take any form of Driving Test? If anybody has the answer, post here....

Mushroom

The tunnel is lefortovo tunnel in Moscow.
at 00'57" a truck hits the right wall of the tunnel and when it bounces off there seems to be a second truck coming out of the wall.

Is it just me or is there an entrance to the tunnel where this crash happens. It may be a sore room for maintenance etc. or similar (seen celarly at 00:56s). Looking at angles, the second truck may have come out of this possible entrance, the first swerved to avoid but collided. The truck is not replicated to apear it was a crash theyre both different (look at the sides)

Death

Established Member
[quote="Coxster and Boxcars]Lots of clips from the same tunnel here however one shows the dangers of bendy-buses!

I'll never go for the back seat again! :shock:[/quote]
Oh dear Gods!... :eek:
Looks like someone caught the rather poor performance of me on my PSV (D+E) test then! <D

Just gotta pray that video doesn't make it onto You've Been Framed otherwise the £250,- that I slipped the examiner to keep quiet about it will have been all for nothing! :|:lol:

Farewell...No wonder TfL's bus operators won't take me on! <D
>> Death <<

Death

Established Member
Try for a job on the railway. ;)
Y'know...I've always thought that train drivers should have a huge pay-rise. After all, how they manage to steer those trains around long corners and still manage to keep the wheels on the rails is beyond me! :tongue3:
And London Underground drivers deserve even more...They have to do it in the dark! :lol:

On a serious note though...I would go in for train driving like a shot (As it's one of a few jobs that I know I could do without problems.) but I sent letters of application to practically every TOC that I could think of (Except Arriva NW as I couldn't find their address.) back around about April time and received a sizable pile of polite rejection letters for my efforts. Thanks to some strange pay thing, it would appear that train driving pays just as well as something like high-rate stock trading, and it's attracting far too many greedy bar-stewards who have no interest in the railway whatsoever! <(

Although if anyone can rustle me up a driving/shunting position at their local TOC, (The faster the trains, the better...But I'm not choosy!) then I would be extremely greatful! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Death

Established Member
:idea1: I understand they're wanting drivers over on the Union Pacific :idea1:
Aye? <D
Only problem is: By the time I'd have got hold of a multi-entry working visa, the position would have been filled by someone else. That, and the American west coast is a bit of a fair commute from Farnborough if I remember rightly! :lol:

On top of that...American wages aren't really sufficient to pay the installments on a British mortgage plus the rental costs for whatever flat or B&B I would end up living in. Also, I'm not 100% sure if I'd even be allowed to live in the USA - Considering how openly against the Bush administration I happen to be! :)

On the subject of international working though: I certainly wouldn't mind driving Eurostar, TGV, Thalys, ICE and Transrapid trains for a living...If anyone has any contacts in those industries... ;)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Status
Not open for further replies.