• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turbo history

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I've been reading a lot about the Turbo cascade and its got me thinking about their history I understand when they were first introduced to the GWR they did a lot gauge clearance test and one made it all the way to Plymouth Laira depot back in 1992 could somebody clarify.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coppercapped

Established Member
The August 1993 edition of Modern Railways included a photo-feature on pages 478 and 479 of the expanding areas of service of the Networker Turbos, as they were then called. One caption states
The summer timetable also saw turbos extended from Banbury to Birmingham Snow Hill and a daily through Turbo-operated Paddington-Stratford on Avon (via Oxford) service introduced.
About this time MR also published a photograph of, IIRC, a Class 165 at Darlington while on a promotional tour. I can't lay my hands on the copy at the moment but I think it was sometime in 1992.

Added in edit: I've just noticed there is a photo of the first Class 166 on test at Cossington on the Midland main line in the March 1993 edition of MR.

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’ve seen reports that a 165 reached Edinburgh when they were new but never seen a photo of it, of it did happen.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I’ve seen reports that a 165 reached Edinburgh when they were new but never seen a photo of it, of it did happen.

It was Glasgow; it was being demonstrated to the Stathclyde PTE people, who reportedly complained when they saw it that nobody had told them sooner about the design because it was so much better than what they'd just ordered a load of...

Highlandspring

Established Member
Sorry I just realised that my post above, which was typed in a hurry on a phone, made next to no grammatical sense whatsoever. Thinking on it now, you’re right it was Glasgow not Edinburgh!

Status
Not open for further replies.