• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turkey Street to Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Someone on twitter complaining that the ticket machine at Turkey Street couldn't sell him a ticket to Paddington on Sunday.

They said Paddington didn't appear as a destination.

What should they have pressed? Some sort of Zonal affair?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In this case though, London Paddington would have printed as London Terminals I think, so yes, they would need to specify Zone 1 or London Zone 1 or whatever it's called on the TVM to get the correct ticket

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
In this case though, London Paddington would have printed as London Terminals I think, so yes, they would need to specify Zone 1 or London Zone 1 or whatever it's called on the TVM to get the correct ticket

Would that not mean they would be paying for any journey in zone 1 or even multiple journeys in zone 1 rather than a single journey directly to Paddington frame either Seven Sisters or Liverpool St?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I can't recall whether GA use Shere or Scheidt & Bachmann TVMs off the top of my head. If it's the former, you need to type something horrendously long like "London Underground Zone 1" to get the desired ticket if it's not one of the "popular" destinations, if memory serves.

telstarbox

Established Member
It's reasonable to expect to be able to buy a ticket from one station in London to another without being a ticket expert.

Even if the underlying ticket is something like Turkey Street - London U1, why can't the A-Z stations list just include all London stations as both "LONDON PADDINGTON" and "PADDINGTON (LONDON)" which then 'redirect' to the appropriate fare?

Be3G

Established Member
I haven't tried to buy a ticket including a tube journey from Turkey Street's ticket machine for some years, but when I last had to, I had to actually specify the destination that'd be printed on the ticket – i.e. ZONE U1256 LONDN. Very user-friendly indeed.

johnnychips

Established Member
Totally irrelevant, but isn't Turkey St a lovely name for a station? Wonder if it's named after the bird or the country.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's reasonable to expect to be able to buy a ticket from one station in London to another without being a ticket expert.

Absolutely. The whole situation is a mess.

A ticket machine within London should be able to figure out when to charge a "tube-train" fare.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Even worse, imagine the journey was the other way round.

You're at Paddington and buy a ticket to Turkey Street from the TVM. Chances are it would print as London Terminals to Turkey Street. Even worse, you set the origin to Zone U1, so you have to go to the FGW ticket office, or buy from LU where you may not be offered the full range.

Be3G

Established Member
Hah, that's what I thought when I saw johnnychips' comment. Let's just say that when I disembark there from the final train of the night at 00:17, I keep my wits very much about me whilst walking home.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Hah, that's what I thought when I saw johnnychips' comment. Let's just say that when I disembark there from the final train of the night at 00:17, I keep my wits very much about me whilst walking home.

I should try to remember that everybody lives somewhere when I comment!

However sometimes you can not defend the indefensible!.....Silver Street sounds nice too...

Be3G

Established Member
I should try to remember that everybody lives somewhere when I comment!

Oh no offence taken! I can't wait to move out of this area. The one good thing I will say about Turkey Street is that the guy who can often be found doing the weekday shift in the ticket office is the best ticket clerk I've encountered at a GA station.

However sometimes you can not defend the indefensible!.....Silver Street sounds nice too...

Surely Angel Road could trump that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.