• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turn Back Time on BBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
" All participants must obey the social conventions of the time appropriate to their class"

Has anyone seen this programme supposed to be a historical throwback to show how people lived in Edwardian Times. Three families replicate the lives of different classes.

Not an ashtray or cigarette in sight either in the workplaces or homes <D

Must have found three Edwardian families where none of the members or servants smoked......hmmmmmmmmm:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well spotted. Not even the strictest adherence to historical accuracy can be allowed to over-ride the dictates of the Nanny state, see.

It's highly likely that non of the participants are smokers. Non of my family are smokers, my neighbours for four doors either way and across the road aren't smokers either. You can't very well make people take up the weed just for historical accuracy.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Butts complaining about the lack of smoking in something - who would have thought it?

Lampshade

Established Member
Well spotted. Not even the strictest adherence to historical accuracy can be allowed to over-ride the dictates of the Nanny state, see.

They managed with Life On Mars (the second series of which was after the smoking ban was introduced).

Butts

Veteran Member
It's highly likely that non of the participants are smokers. Non of my family are smokers, my neighbours for four doors either way and across the road aren't smokers either. You can't very well make people take up the weed just for historical accuracy.

True but you could select at least some participants who smoked to add a level of authenticity, rather than pretending something never existed. I call it a "smokescreen":oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Butts complaining about the lack of smoking in something - who would have thought it?

Yes Ralph I'm aware it is a rarity, but how many days of the week have a "Y" in them :lol:

Wyvern

Established Member
Smoking was not as common in Edwardian times and people would probably not smoke in their houses,, particularly not in the Middle and Upper Class houses? In the latter if father smoked he would do so in his study?

Next week the period is the 'twenties, when more people smoked particularly women, as mechanised cigatrette production brought doewn the prcice and after the war.

Butts

Veteran Member
Smoking was not as common in Edwardian times and people would probably not smoke in their houses,, particularly not in the Middle and Upper Class houses? In the latter if father smoked he would do so in his study?

Next week the period is the 'twenties, when more people smoked particularly women, as mechanised cigatrette production brought doewn the prcice and after the war.

First World War springs to mind ........:idea:

Look forward to the twenties episode and a cavalcade of smoking :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well here we are in the Twenties and "The Clean Air Act" has come in thirty years early and been extended to include Cigarettes :oops:

Scenes of smoking were prevalent but only in the (authentic <D -unlike the programme) film clips shown from the era :lol:

Whats next "Jack the Ripper" with no murders :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.