TV Alert: Monday 1 June 20:00 Dispatches 'Trains: Are You Paying Too Much?'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yorkie, 28 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This programme will be on Channel 4 next Monday at 20:00
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/d...-are-you-paying-too-much-channel-4-dispatches

2. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

No doubt discovers that behind passengers' backs the staff consider the passengers generally contemptible. Like most customer service industries in fact.

3. Envoy

Envoy Member

Channel 4's Dispatches series will be investigating train fares on Monday June 1 2015 at 8pm.

Also on the same day, BBC 4's Timeshift has 'The Golden Age of British Rail' (at 10pm) - though I think this might be a repeat. Anyway, the same programme will be repeated on BBC 4 at 10.35pm on Wednesday 3 June 2015.

4. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

It is a repeat - worth catching if you haven't seen it before.

5. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

How long before Mr Wolmer makes an appearance?

And how many times will split ticketing be mentioned

6. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Well I know that I am not paying too much ;)

But I damn well know that many many (maybe 'most other') people out there are!

Perhaps it will interest new people in 'railforums' Fares Workshops?

Last edited: 31 May 2015
  7. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Reminder that this is on tonight (and no doubt 4OD shortly afterwards if you miss it live).

Before the first ad break? :lol:

8. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

And it wouldn't be a moment too soon either !

I enjoyed the visual reference to the BR Mother's Pride cheese sandwich, as seen in the other documentary mentioned in this thread :lol:

9. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Who called 6 minutes on split tickets?

And C4 need to be careful what they wish for on split tickets, and get some basics right before putting a programme together.

10. Searle

Searle Established Member

You heard it here first, the WTT is simply made by adding on 3 minutes to the PTT! :lol:

11. bb21

That planner needs sacking tbh.

They have also completely missed the point about WTT and PTT.

I was hoping they would cover issues surrounding incorrect ticket information at Paddington gates.

12. mafeu

mafeu Member

There seems to be too much focus on staff knowledge of split ticketing. I'd argue that the reporter should focus his attention on creating a 'simple' system that eliminates the need/requirement for split tickets, without the myriad of options currently.

My point is that staff members cannot be expected to know on the fly every cheaper possibility. The reporter's demands are somewhat unfair. If I ask for X to Y, I should be offered the cheapest routed ticket for X to Y. It's my responsibility to search for cheaper opportunities/combinations...no different to when I look for a better/cheaper offer or product at the supermarket.

13. Smudger105e

Smudger105e Established Member

So C4 arranged for someone to take a job, preventing someone who really needed a job from getting one. Rather selfish IMHO.

14. ainsworth74

I thought we might get there when the planner mentioned PPM but seemingly not.

15. SWTH

SWTH Member

Good effort, a total hatchet job.

16. bb21

What a pile of rubbish, mentioning all sorts of non-issues and completely missing the point on virtually all fronts. That's 30 minutes of my time I will never get back. I guess it's only to be expected that journos don't do much research these days.

17. Starmill

What a disappointment! Ugh. FGW have so many dirty tricks up their sleeve and the programme didn't mention a one of them, just criticised them implicitly for doing exactly what they are supposed to.

18. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

What do you expect from today's C4 - C4 used to do good documentaries, not any more though.

19. ainsworth74

Pretty disappointing on the whole. I thought it was a bit better than the more usual 'evil greedy train companies' that these programs tend to be but on the whole I still think it missed the point. About the only thing I think they did do quite well was the TVM issue (even then I think Kings Cross was a better example).

20. PeterY

PeterY Member

FGW didn't come out looking too well but I expect all TOC's are as bad as each other.

For me, it just confirmed what a mess ticketing is.

21. bb21

They picked possibly the only issue worth covering amongst all those they put in the programme and gave it one of the briefest mentions possible, then left it as an unanswered open question, so how anyone is supposed to learn anything by their mention of lack of impartial retailing from TVMs is anyone's guess.

A First Class walk-on return?! How is anyone supposed to relate to that?

22. ainsworth74

Aye, the Kings Cross GroupSave issue would have been much more relateable. Hence why I would have chosen that one.

23. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Split ticketing wasn't explained in any great detail - lacking enough that I can see some people now thinking one can split anywhere on the way, rather than just at stations that are called at

24. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

What are those then?

It raised some reasonable points (ticket machines selling different tickets for example) but if they were trying to suggest that there's some big ticketing scam going on then that would have made a programme in itself - in the end it was more of a series of unrelated issues.

As posters have pointed out before, finding the minimum price with splits for a journey via multiple stopping points would take a lot of time for both the clerk and the passenger!
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    FGW have released a statement - https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/dispatches

25. Starmill

Changing the fares structure in order to rip people off through several means, like deleting day-returns, raising the price of and increasing restrictions on Off-Peak fares and making it difficult or impossible to find out what the restrictions are and having staff who deny tickets are valid at certain times of day.

26. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Problem is it's not just a case of saying the train needs to call; that's just one of three ways you can "split".

Many regular passengers are Season ticket holders, and they wouldn't need to call at any station (providing the Season covered part of their journey)

So if it's not going to be explained in detail it's probably best left for people to find out themselves.

27. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

How does this work, does someone within the company know that it's a reporter and make sure that they get the job, or do channel 4 keep sending applicants each time the job is open and wait until one is hired?

28. bb21

Probably the latter.

29. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Nothing less than FGW middle and higher management deserve.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I wasn't asked to appear. :lol:

It did confirm my suspicion that the training given to gateline staff is at best woeful.

30. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yet again the TV producers have compiled a completely irrelevant programme that supposedly misses the point. For a programme entitled "are you paying too much" - why did they spend half the programme talking about delays and overcrowding?

They had the potential with the thing on different TVMs charging different rates; but chose an example that most people probably can't relate to, and when the Toc was asked to give a statement, they just read it out without actually challenging it.

It sounds like Great Western in this case had done pretty much everything by the book. It's a shame that they couldn't have gone after the Tocs that have staff who routinely give out incorrect information; or point out the cases where customers have been mislead about their ticket validities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.