• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV Alert:-The trouble with our trains (29/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
To be fair, they seem to be giving a fairly balanced assessment of things. Quite enjoying it so far.

Not entirely convinced about Virgin's explanations for the very high walk on fares though :lol:

Splitting trains ! The Southern got there first.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
To be fair, they seem to be giving a fairly balanced assessment of things. Quite enjoying it so far.

Not entirely convinced about Virgin's explanations for the very high walk on fares though :lol:

The explanations are right though. If the anytime fares were cheap as chips, there would be bunching.

Crossover

Established Member
"And it took you two years to be able to do that?" as he watches the Voyagers split

Now onto Toddy Curve...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The explanations are right though. If the anytime fares were cheap as chips, there would be bunching.

Might be right but is it proportionate. There's a large territory between "cheap as chips" and the £200+ fare Nick Hewer paid ! And we've all heard about the crush on the first off-peak trains out of Euston.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, it has to be said.

Hope they don't drag the 144's into it though.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I could name another stopgap train that is still in use over 30 years later.

Bucket loads of public money used to build new railways.

Remind me how new roads are funded
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aaaagggghhhhh! The McNulty report

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They could do with pointing out what a comparatively tiny slither of public funding the railways actually represent compared to other UK services.

Don't get me wrong, I know the NHS, Social Security and the rest of them are vital, but so is the railway.

NSEFAN

Established Member
"To all intents and purposes, the railways are already renationalised." I'm glad they said that, or words to that effect.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Regardless of any opinion re privatisation, I think this shows that an industry such as the UK Railways was just unsuitable for breaking up. There is much additional expense in joining up the links between all the players, but this takes time so delaying projects. There was no mention of money paid out to lawyers and Consultants for their part in this "co-ordination" process and aware of their fees.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They gave a fairly positive outlook in the end. Not the hatchet job some were expecting.

It was alright - but told us anoraks nothing we did not already know - and was probably watched by very few punters for whom it may have been illuminating.

BR PLC (minus the freight companies) - PLEASE :| ?

Simon11

Established Member
The whole eposide lack analysis and wasn't perfect but has been more balanced than other comparator shows.

I thought that the reason given as to why it took so long for virgin to reach Shrewsbury completely missed the reason for the delay- it certainly wasn't due to the issuing of Coupling. I did enjoy nicks journey travelling from Euston, taking a few selfies at Shrewsbury, then back to Birmingham and finally arriving at Shrewsbury!

The reference that Ireland railway was well managed and efficient was biased and shows a complete lack of research. my view is completely different of Ireland's railways and lack of investment with little support from government aLong with line closures.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The whole eposide lack analysis and wasn't perfect but has been more balanced than other comparator shows.

I thought that the reason given as to why it took so long for virgin to reach Shrewsbury completely missed the reason for the delay- it certainly wasn't due to the issuing of Coupling.

The reference that Ireland railway was well managed and efficient was biased and shows a complete lack of research. my view is completely different of Ireland's railways and lack of investment with little support from government aLong with line closures.

It was after VT persisted and persisted after Network Rail turned it down claiming no paths available.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

They were very specifically referring to Northern Ireland Railways which hasn't had any closures as far as I'm aware.

Dave1987

On Moderation
One thing that really really annoyed me was that they didn't explain why it takes so long to implement changes due to the path requirements. Its definitely not as easy as just saying we want to split at Birmingham, one bit go that way and the other bit go that way.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Expecting the usual bunch of "I have no choice but to travel with X or Y toc and pay Z amount which is extortionate" etc etc and "My train is always delayed and crowded".

I know what you mean about the crudeness of TV and all - but do you not think that those statements are accurate?

cjmillsnun

Established Member
It was alright - but told us anoraks nothing we did not already know - and was probably watched by very few punters for whom it may have been illuminating.

BR PLC (minus the freight companies) - PLEASE :| ?

I doubt you'd get that. However you may see more TOCs going down the alliance route with Network rail.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One thing that really really annoyed me was that they didn't explain why it takes so long to implement changes due to the path requirements. Its definitely not as easy as just saying we want to split at Birmingham, one bit go that way and the other bit go that way.

The problem is that the programme wasn't aimed at enthusiasts or insiders. It was completely for the layperson.

Morgsie

As a general viewer I thought it explained the current system quite well. Where does that other half of the Shrewsbury train go to?

As someone who did a policy analysis on rail franchising in wake of the ICWC fiasco as part of my degree then it was fair and balanced. My conclusion from that piece of work was that rail system will not fundamentally change but will be tweaked. They are right to point out that the elephant in the room is Network Rail and its debt but they should have discussed the reclassification. They alluded to certain processes but did not actually explain them, a couple of examples: timetables/ pathing etc and planning. I am appalled that DfT or as some of you on here call it DaFT only released a statement which produced the usual rhetoric. Speaking of Whitehall or Great Minster House, why is rail policy divided between Ministers?

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
As a general viewer I thought it explained the current system quite well. Where does that other half of the Shrewsbury train go to?

A search of RTT shows the Shrewsbury service going of P6 at 11:53 as 9J14, and then a service to Euston departing P6A at 12:30 as 1B44.

Aldaniti

The best bit was the piece that highlighted Northern Ireland Railways and the fact that it is entirely possible to run a satisfactory rail service in public hands. We only continue with the current failed model because of political ideology and ineptitude. The piece on Virgin Trains and their Shrewsbury service was pretty poor and without context (more of a free advert really) but for those without much railway knowledge the remainder was probably OK.

Last edited:

neilmc

I loved the bit where there is a committee sitting to apportion blame for delays and, for birds, this varies by size! A train strike involving peacocks was deemed to be Network Rail's fault. Where do you, er, draw the line then - Swans? Geese? Buzzards? Lapwings? By wing span or beak-to-tail length? Only in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.