• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV presenter critical after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
That's bad news. I hope he gets better soon - he has young children I believe. I don't suppose he'll be featuing in the new series next month as presenter?

CallySleeper

Established Member
Richard Hammond is in Critical Condition after a car crash at Evington Air Field this afternoon, trying to break the Land Speed record in the Vampire Jet Engined car (a Jet from the Red Arrows, 500bhp) for an episode of Top Gear.

The car crashed on the final run of the day - got up to 280mph and something went wrong after the parachute deployed, veered right and went onto the grass, overturning.

His head upside down with his head dug into the soil, still breathing at that point. He did regain conciousness when he was being extracted from the car, and explain where any pain was.

He is currently at Leeds General Hospital.

Dennis

Established Member
As long as his teeth are intact :toothy7:

Hope it's not too serious and gets well soon; he is the perfect foil for Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.

Coxster

Established Member
According to BBC News it is believed that a tyre had punctured whilst moving at 280mph although the Health and Safety investigation is still ongoing. Here's two quotes from the TG website today:

Jeremy arrives at Leeds
Jeremy and James have arrived at Leeds General Infirmary to visit Richard and his family.

Jeremy told TopGear.com: "Richard remains in intensive care. Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have. It must be devastating for his wife Mindy and his two utterly adorable children.

"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James and I are looking forward to getting our Hamster back."

In addition, we've already received a number of emails at TopGear.com wishing Richard well. If you'd like to add your thoughts, please email us.

We'll post some of your messages on the website and do our best to make sure Richard receives them all.

Richard is 'improving'
Richard Hammond is 'improving' but remains seriously ill in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car.

The accident happened during filming for the new series of Top Gear at the former RAF airfield in Elvington, near York.

Richard was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary's neurological unit. A hospital spokesman said this morning: "He has seen some improvement overnight, but remains in a serious but stable condition."

Richard's wife Mindy and their daughters Willow and Isabella are at his bedside. We'll update you on his condition as we find out more, but for now our thoughts are with his family.

We've spoken to Jeremy this morning - he's visited Richard and Mindy in Leeds and you can read his statement here.

Obviously the crash will be fully investigated by the Health and Safety Executive and the BBC.

The BBC said in a statement: "We are looking into all the factors of this accident and it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage until we know the full situation."

Established Member
i hope they still show the show in october as there suposed to be showing the 31 crash!! wiv the car!!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh dear this is awful! He is a great presenter and he seems like a really nice guy too. Hope he gets well soon :(

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i've seen the guy in the flesh a while back..... seems such a nice guy and his kids are adorable.... hope he has a speedy recovery!

Coxster

Established Member
Top Gear Website said:
Richard: doctors 'optimistic' of good recovery

Doctors at Leeds General Infirmary said they are 'reasonably optimistic' that Richard Hammond will make a good recovery after his crash in a jet-powered car.

News continues to emerge from the hospital where Richard's wife Mindy and their daughters Willow and Isabella are at his bedside.

We have received well over 4,000 emails today from Top Gear readers wishing Richard well - and the inbox is growing as each second ticks by.

The accident happened during filming for the new series of Top Gear at the former RAF airfield in Elvington, near York.

Richard was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary's neurological unit. A hospital spokesman said this morning: "He has seen some improvement overnight, but remains in a serious but stable condition."

We spoke to Jeremy earlier today - he visited Richard and Mindy in Leeds and you can read his statement here. Like us, his thoughts are with Mindy and the family.

Obviously we expect the crash will be fully investigated by the Health and Safety Executive and the BBC.

The BBC said in a statement: "We are pleased to hear that Richard has improved slightly overnight, but we continue to be concerned about his condition and we are keeping in touch with his family.

"The circumstances of this accident will be fully investigated by the BBC, and this process began last night.

"We will, of course, be fully co-operating with any investigation by the police and the Health and Safety Executive. Until the BBC's investigation is complete, it would be inappropriate to comment on the details of what happened."

T

Tom

Ben - do not make slanderous comments against other members. Stephen is obviously interested in the rail crash that was filmed, as everyone else is on this forum. So Please Calm Down and Stop talking In Random capital Letters, thank You.

Coxster

Established Member
He has now been diagnosed with a "significant brain injury" although the hospital are still "reasonably optimistic" that he will make a good recovery.

1.jpg

Beaker

Established Member
Ben - do not make slanderous comments against other members. Stephen is obviously interested in the rail crash that was filmed, as everyone else is on this forum. So Please Calm Down and Stop talking In Random capital Letters, thank You.

I think ben thinks that stepehen thinks that he just wants top gear to back becuase of a ped getting slammer into a ford, rather than Richard Hammond recovering . I take it as a big misunderstanding on ben behalf

T

Tom

BBC said:
A BBC spokeswoman also confirmed the final part of the Best of Top Gear, which was due to be screened on 1 October, had been postponed indefinitely.
It would have been broadcast ahead of the new series of Top Gear but the corporation has said it is not in a position to confirm the transmission of the new series.

Going to have to wait chaps!

Coxster

Established Member
Richard has been reported to have walked , aswell as calling James a C**kface (according to Clarkson's Sun column).

Ben

I think ben thinks that stepehen thinks that he just wants top gear to back becuase of a ped getting slammer into a ford, rather than Richard Hammond recovering . I take it as a big misunderstanding on ben behalf
Yes I Apologise.

Ben.

DJC_158

it has to be said that richard has been very lucky indeed, and to make a recovery as quick as he has done is encouraging.

was reading in the paper today that it seems that he has now been moved to an ordinary ward not the high dependancy unit which he was in before.

Status
Not open for further replies.