• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV presenter Nicholas Parsons dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it on TV that presenter Nicholas Parsons has died, more details to follow.

RIP Nicholas Parsons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51278023
Broadcaster Nicholas Parsons has died at the age of 96 after a short illness, his agent has confirmed.

Parsons had hosted Radio 4's Just A Minute since its inception in 1967.

"Nicholas passed away in the early hours of the 28th of January," said a statement issued on behalf of his family by his agent Jean Diamond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Sad news. I had the pleasure of seeing him close-up when he did "An evening with..." at our local Arts Festival about five years ago. He was as bright as a button and well into his 90s.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Very sad news indeed. Just a Minute has been part of the soundtrack of my whole life.

Glad I got to see him in a very entertaining live recording of Just a Minute a few years ago.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For me he will always be associated with the TV series "Sale of the Century" - the unforgettable theme tune accompanied by the words "and now from Norwich it's the quiz of the week".

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My parents bought a TV for the first time in 1961 when I was thirteen, and one of the early programmes I really enjoyed was the Arthur Haynes Show, a sketch show featuring that excellent comedian, with Nicholas Parsons as foil, or 'straight man'. They were live, I believe, and Haynes, with a twinkle in his eye and smile hovering on his lips, was always trying to get Parsons to break down into laughter, which happened most times, whereas the other regular, the lugubrious Irishman Dermot Kelly, never did. Nicholas was also Benny Hill's straight man before Henry McGee took his place. Hill and Parsons competed to splutter with laughter.

Only time I ever came across him in person was at Euston station, when the gentleman in front of me holding the door open for me with a beam on his face was, I realised, Nicholas, immaculately dressed in a overcoat. The term gentleman was truly one that he deserved by all accounts.

RIP

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My parents bought a TV for the first time in 1961 when I was thirteen, and one of the early programmes I really enjoyed was the Arthur Haynes Show, a sketch show featuring that excellent comedian, with Nicholas Parsons as foil, or 'straight man'. They were live, I believe, and Haynes, with a twinkle in his eye and smile hovering on his lips, was always trying to get Parsons to break down into laughter, which happened most times, whereas the other regular, the lugubrious Irishman Dermot Kelly, never did. Nicholas was also Benny Hill's straight man before Henry McGee took his place. Hill and Parsons competed to splutter with laughter.

Only time I ever came across him in person was at Euston station, when the gentleman in front of me holding the door open for me with a beam on his face was, I realised, Nicholas, immaculately dressed in a overcoat. The term gentleman was truly one that he deserved by all accounts.

RIP
Well said and some nice anecdotes too Busaholic.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I never listened to Just a Minute but I did see Nicholas Parsons in the Doctor Who story The Curse of Fenric.

At that point in 1989, I assume he'd have been 65/66. The national age of retirement then was 65. To think he just carried on and some more. I did hear him interviewed on Test Match Special and he seemed a nice bloke.

Will be a loss to entertainment and of course his family and all who knew him.

Master29

Established Member
As well as a TV host he made numerous appearances in British films and a few TV series too.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As he was a great cricket buff, it's always sad when someone gets out for 96 and, sadly, there's no DRS available. For anyone that's interested, in a change to the schedule Radio Four has a re-run at 11 pm. today of Paul Merton's gentle interview with Nicholas on his life and career.

Condor7

Listening to Just A Minute was always a highlight driving home on a Sunday at 12.00. It’s a rare program that makes me laugh out load, and causes tears of laughter to run down my face. In over 50 years of presenting it Nicholas never missed an episode. A great loss. Rest in peace.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Listening to Just A Minute was always a highlight driving home on a Sunday at 12.00. It’s a rare program that makes me laugh out load, and causes tears of laughter to run down my face. In over 50 years of presenting it Nicholas never missed an episode. A great loss. Rest in peace.
He did miss a couple last year, Gyles Brandreth stood in for him (but didn’t work as well).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, neither would I. He would be a good choice IMO.
I think so too. He's chaired other programmes well, has a ready wit and can be self-deprecating when he's not namedropping! Anyway, being of an almost identical age to him it gives me some hope we're not all washed up. :lol:

The Ham

Established Member

RIP

I would have buzzed in with repetition, but I thought that wouldn't have been appropriate given the subject being talked about for that minute.

Butts

Veteran Member
For me he will always be associated with the TV series "Sale of the Century" - the unforgettable theme tune accompanied by the words "and now from Norwich it's the quiz of the week".

With the little Anglia Television Knight displayed prior to the show....I miss all the regional ITV symbols that used to tell you where the program was from.

swj99

I thought he was excellent in the Comic Strip Presents, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, where he co starred with Ade Admondson and Rik Mayall, and ended up being killed by Peter Cook.

Here he is on Wogan, when he's talking about it to Kenneth Williams.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49459680938/?ref=bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.