• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[TV] Redevelopment of Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all,

Just came across this on iPlayer - it's available until next Friday.

Gives an insight into perhaps why some of the costs can be so high in projects - but also perhaps also an insight why it's necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bittern

Established Member
Question. At 8 minutes in, does anyone else hear "First ScotRail to Edinburgh"?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I heard "the 9.30 non stop train to Edinburgh" :lol:

Darandio

Established Member
I heard the non-stop service, was that the "Scotsman". Excellent find by the way, I had no idea it was on.

Established Member
yeah i saw this on TV on Friday it was on English Heretage, i saw it was about KX and i just hit record on my Freeview box :)

Metroland

Established Member
It's a good programme, starts a bit slow, bit soon picks up. I'd agree with EH though, these things are important to protect, its what makes England, England. Making the whole world look like Milton keynes is just a bad idea.

I reckon the Scottish guy was quite fond of 60s architecture, he must be the only one! Only the Post office tower and Rotunda in Birmingham, scrape into the worth preserving list from that period. (Yes BNS box really is listed!) Architects lost of the plot for a while after the Art Deco period, until just recently.

Daimler

Established Member
I heard the non-stop service, was that the "Scotsman". Excellent find by the way, I had no idea it was on.

I think the footage is from 'Elizabethan Express' - a BTF film, and so that would be 'The Elizabethan' - the footage at the beginning is also from that film, with the 1950s narrator.

Metroland

Established Member
Yep, it's from the 1954 film, about the train of the same name. Non-stop and A4 hauled, from the 50s till the early 1960s when Deltics took over and non-stop working finished. The crew used to walk through the tender of the A4 from the coaches.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I saw this - good insight into the squabbling behind projects, conflict of interests between the parties involved.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Probably. But hey - there are worse ways to make a living. My Father is a director of Galliford Try - admittedly whilst still an executive, he's only concerned with the housing side of it, but he still has to dabble in the StPancras "funny farm" as he calls it, as Galliford Try are leading the hotel redevelopment et al.

It is little wonder these projects cost so much, hideous amounts of red tape, checking this, checking that.

Metroland

Established Member
I guess this is why it costs £70 million before a bit of tram track is even laid in Liverpool! Or why everything is so expensive. It's certainly not going on kit on the ground. It always amazes me how some people can justify charging £100-500 per hour or more, it makes you what value they really do add.

Status
Not open for further replies.