• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Twin Pendolino Testing This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
I agree with the ideas of too long trains and few stations capable of holding the whole train, but also, there are other factors like:

-A really slow acceleration due to a heavier train
-Also a long stopping distance, unless maybe all brakes of both units are applied.
-Signal blocks are occupied by more of a train at one time, which is the case with freight anyway, but also some signal blocks will end up being short enough for an 18 car train to occupy two at once, one block being fully occupied, which is most likely in a built up station are like a terminus.
- But a bigger issue in my eyes is to do with seat reservations, especially at a terminus. People have to walk a very long distance to where they need to sit, and this is worse considering you can't walk through the whole train, only each unit, so in a rush for the front when you're at the back will cause problems.

So the seat reservation "problem" is worse than no brakes, I think you need to look at your priorities!
As for the rest of your post, um wrong.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I reckon substations will be going boom as it passes :roll:

Power problems when a single Eurostar set used to pass.

One would hope that ten billion pounds bought some new substations.

VTPreston_Tez

Both are implausible though... Edinburgh/Glasgow - Liverpool would surely be more likely.

Glasgow Trains have most of that covered, nothing a change at Carlisle can't solve. I'm hoping for a new route after Warrington however, something like Chester and if we're very lucky, down to Cardiff and that may prove popular.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Glasgow Trains has failed to take off AFAICS. Change at Carlisle for Liverpool? No you don't.

David

Established Member
Glasgow Trains have most of that covered, nothing a change at Carlisle can't solve. I'm hoping for a new route after Warrington however, something like Chester and if we're very lucky, down to Cardiff and that may prove popular.

You can already get to Chester direct from Warrington though, and Cardiff can be reached with 1 change from Preston and Warrington. Either at Crewe onto the ATW service or at Birmingam New Street onto an XC service.

sonic2009

Established Member
i saw the 18-car Pendo on Wednesday Evening/Thursday Morning at Crewe.

Can anyone explain why two floodlights light up the Pantographs?

Also 390956 was noted at Crewe Thursday Afternoon

Yew

Established Member
The floodlights where probably to see how the pantographs interact with eachother

Mike C

Lights on pans would be to illuminate them for cameras mounted on the roof to see how the dynamics are with two of them raised. If I would hazard a guess I'd say they are looking at how the rear pantograph copes with a wire which has an oscillation set up in it by the leading pantograph. The leading pan would have a camera on it for a return journey and/or to compare the two - the leading one being the "benchmark". It is something I've done before on our trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.