• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two carriages delivered to Barmouth by road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil from Mon

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The work is not on Barmouth Bridge but is flood defence work at Black Bull Bridge on the Shrewsbury side of Machynlleth and lasting from the middle of May until the end of June. 6 Class 158s were left at Machynlleth so as to work between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, the rest of the fleet on the Shrewsbury side with bustitutution between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth.
However, 158833 developed a wheelset problem and was moved by road (rail line closed) from Barmouth last week to Canton and unloaded in the Brickyard Siding. A reverse move took place yesterday with 158824 going by road to Barmouth as a replacement. One might wonder as to why Barmouth was used rather than Machynlleth and this was due to suitable access at Barmouth whereas there would have been difficult road movements in Machynlleth for a transporter and the fact the Park close to the Depot was occupied by Rail Replacement Busses

Bob figgis

I watched this YouTube video yesterday so my assumption it is the same move. There may be some colourful language used.
The skill of these drivers and pilots negotiating the tight roads and bends, the reverse at the end of the video is exceptional, I was waiting for a wing mirror to be popped off.

Phil from Mon

I watched this YouTube video yesterday so my assumption it is the same move. There may be some colourful language used.
The skill of these drivers and pilots negotiating the tight roads and bends, the reverse at the end of the video is exceptional, I was waiting for a wing mirror to be popped off.

Indeed, they are incredibly skilled.

The work is not on Barmouth Bridge but is flood defence work at Black Bull Bridge on the Shrewsbury side of Machynlleth and lasting from the middle of May until the end of June. 6 Class 158s were left at Machynlleth so as to work between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, the rest of the fleet on the Shrewsbury side with bustitutution between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth.
However, 158833 developed a wheelset problem and was moved by road (rail line closed) from Barmouth last week to Canton and unloaded in the Brickyard Siding. A reverse move took place yesterday with 158824 going by road to Barmouth as a replacement. One might wonder as to why Barmouth was used rather than Machynlleth and this was due to suitable access at Barmouth whereas there would have been difficult road movements in Machynlleth for a transporter and the fact the Park close to the Depot was occupied by Rail Replacement Busses
Many thanks. explains it perfectly

peteb

Impressive driving skills. Locals are used to the delivery of 12 foot wide static caravans to the many sites in the area but rarely anything as long as a 158 carriage. Does anyone know the road route taken?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Impressive driving skills. Locals are used to the delivery of 12 foot wide static caravans to the many sites in the area but rarely anything as long as a 158 carriage. Does anyone know the road route taken?
No, but they did go the wrong way through the one way system in Barmouth.

And for info, it is almost impossible to get a road unit of that length into Machynlleth depot. There is no room to turn around in the depot so they would have to reverse potentially all the way from the clock tower junction in the centre of the town, and that presumes they could get to Machynlleth on the A470 from Caersws. I'm not sure they would get under the bridges along there.

rower40

One thing to be careful of: ensure the vehicles are off-loaded onto the track the right way round! I.e. one with its cab facing north, and one with its cab facing south. And, preferably, with their non-cab ends adjacent to each other to save having to do a shunt.

A long many years ago, I watched the Loram Rail Grinder being on-tracked at the Railway Technical Centre. Each (yellow) vehicle had a A1-size laminated piece of (white) paper stuck on, with "Derby station this way" and a big arrow printed on it. Some days earlier, pictures had appeared in Rail magazine of the same machine being craned into the ship somewhere in Canada, and the white paper with black arrows were clearly visible. So they'd already worked out which way round each vehicle would have to be.

snowball

Established Member
I think this relates to the civils works in question:

We are raising Black Bridge to prevent flooding delays for passengers Passengers have suffered continual delays and disruption when Black Bridge, near Machynlleth, has closed due to high river levels.

Our engineers will be raising the existing bridge by one metre to lift it out of the flood zone. This will protect the bridge from high river levels and significantly reduce disruption for passengers.

There's no bull in the bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cambrian359

2 carriages were taken away during half term and 2 brought back this week(unsure if they were the same ones)
Take a look at the allelys heavy haulage Facebook page as they’ve shared quite a few videos images.
The moves really fascinated the locals with local social media pages plastered with videos and photos.
I think previously they’ve only been moved by road when the line was badly damaged by winter storms and severe engine failure(I think,don’t quote me on last bit).
I’m I did have photos of a move from a few years ago but can’t find them.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
2 carriages were taken away during half term and 2 brought back this week(unsure if they were the same ones)
Take a look at the allelys heavy haulage Facebook page as they’ve shared quite a few videos images.
The moves really fascinated the locals with local social media pages plastered with videos and photos.
I think previously they’ve only been moved by road when the line was badly damaged by winter storms and severe engine failure(I think,don’t quote me on last bit).
I’m I did have photos of a move from a few years ago but can’t find them.

They were different ones as described in Post #2

snowball

Established Member
There's now another press release about the Black Bridge works:

Network Rail engineers are working through extreme weather to raise Black Bridge, near Machynlleth, by one metre to lift it out of the flood zone.

The £3.6m project – a railway first – will protect the bridge from high river levels and significantly reduce disruption for passengers.

Heavy rain at the end of May has caused the river levels to rise, hitting the closure mark of the bridge and demonstrating why the work to lift the bridge is so important. Despite this setback, work is progressing well.

The bridge deck has been lifted and secured into its temporary position. It will be held there until it is lowered on to its newly constructed bearings next week, which will be one metre higher and out of the flood zone.

Pete_uk

Established Member
So why not use this system to get trains into towns that don't have railways? It would save a lot of money in laying down tracks.

Gloster

Established Member
And why not provide a through service to and from the Isle of Wight by having large elastic bands at Portsmouth Harbour and on Ryde Pier? You could also save the cost of the proposed bridge/tunnel to Ireland by using the same system. Don’t suggest it: a politician will think you are serious.

RSimons

Those videos were interesting. Can the trailer be shortened to make it more manoeuvrable when travelling without a load or are there similar problems on the return journey?

CrispyUK

Those videos were interesting. Can the trailer be shortened to make it more manoeuvrable when travelling without a load or are there similar problems on the return journey?
Yep, the parts of the trailer where you can see the grey ‘ribs’ are the extendable sections, I believe they extend up to 28m length as needed to suit the load.

RSimons

Yep, the parts of the trailer where you can see the grey ‘ribs’ are the extendable sections, I believe they extend up to 28m length as needed to suit the load.
Thanks. I'd noticed the grey sections and wondered if that was the case.

Randomer

Am I the only person surprised not to see a hard-hat in sight?
Not really, outside of the building industry and some other places like railways they aren't necessarily a wear all the time on site thing.

If they aren't contracted by NR and following the rules they enforce on contractors it will depends on there risk assessment. Apart from the one section where they were using the crane for lifting I can't see anything that a hardhat would mitigate the risk or consequences of. If no overhead work is going on or a risk of falling objects exists that isn't mitigated by collective measures then sure but a pragmatic risk assessment might say that if the carriage tipped a hard had isn't an appropriate measure anyway. PPE should be a last resort after other risk reduction measures after all (not that this is very common thinking nowadays.)

Status
Not open for further replies.