• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Class 40s in "Mystery" Crash Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

(Sorry, just practicing my tabloid headline writing skills!)

I came across this intriguing photo that was through by many initially to be a fake, of two BR Green Class 40s "wrestling like crocodiles" in a crash that occurred in Granton, Edinburgh, in 1970.

030-D368-Granton.-GNT0786-TOPticl-Digital-Memories.jpg

Read all about it here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I remember reading about this a while ago - an interesting story. The railway seems to attract this sort of mystery: just have a look at the forums where people spend ages working out all sorts of lovely details!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are there any photos of D363 the other contender in this fight?

Yes I was wondering about that.
You’d think that it might be a prototype contender for early cab streamlining looking at this one?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Are there any photos of D363 the other contender in this fight?
My first reaction on seeing this photo was: what happened to the footplate crew? Were they safe?

It may seem a long time ago to you, but talking glibly about "a fight" between locomotives when men may easily had died or been horribly injured is offensive to me. Conservative old fart that I may be.

Slight change of subject: what was on the other side of the tracks? A yard? A shed?

Peter C

Established Member
My first reaction on seeing this photo was: what happened to the footplate crew? Were they safe?

It may seem a long time ago to you, but talking glibly about "a fight" between locomotives when men may easily had died or been horribly injured is offensive to me. Conservative old fart that I may be.
The article linked to in post one says the crews were not badly injured. People responding to the incident said the engines looked like "two fighting crocodiles". :)

-Peter

Richard Scott

Established Member
Looks like there must be a weak spot by the cab doors then? Not seen that happen with a peak with the similar designed bogies (appreciate noses much shorter on a peak so less likely anyway). Any other images of 40s with front end collision damage or was it just this collision had just the right forces to make that happen? Must be honest still looks fake (seems enough evidence to say it's real) and can't believe they repaired the loco, can't have been an easy job?

Strathclyder

Established Member

Inversnecky

Slight change of subject: what was on the other side of the tracks? A yard? A shed?

I would obviously have treated it in a different manner had the outcome been more serious, and I took my cue from the contemporary commentary referenced in the article, as someone else mentioned.

I can appreciate those unfamiliar with the episode may not appreciated this, though.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
What, the bit that's raised is part of the body of one, and the rest of it is the other one?

Gloster

Established Member
The locos were probably not travelling very fast, so even though it was foggy, the crew probably had a chance to dive into the engine compartment, or at least out of the seats. With 368 it looks as though the passage behind the drivers’ seats came off worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.