• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two go to Tolsta

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can thoroughly recommend watching a 28 minute documentary broadcast on BBC Alba on 31st Dec '19. 'Two go to Tolsta' is the true story of a young sister and brother who ran away from home in the Summer of 1949 seeking adventure. They travelled by train from Hitchin to London to Inverness to Kyle then steamer to Stornoway, before finally getting to see their Grandmother in the north of Lewis. They blagged their way without tickets and became minor celebrities making newspaper headlines.
It's a great story which really ought to be dramatized in time for next Christmas! The programme is partly in English and partly in Gaelic with English subtitles.
On a personal note, I was delighted to see some old colour film taken at Kyle Station showing the blue enamel directional 'Stornoway Steamer' sign which I now own!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ct1p/two-go-to-tolsta-sgeulachd-syd-agus-millie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This is still available to watch on BBC iplayer. It says it's available for 28 days but I'm not sure if that means 28 days from now or 28 days from the day of broadcast which was 31st December '19. Either way, I implore you to watch it if you haven't done so already

Status
Not open for further replies.