• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two people, how many Permits to Travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

On Saturday, me and a friend were travelling from Dunton Green (DNG) (a small station with no ticket office only a Permit to Travel Machine). When we got to the station we got one Permit to Travel and got the train to Sevenoaks where we were going to change trains to make our onward journey to Canterbury West (CBW). Because we had 15 minutes to change there we went to the ticket office to get a ticket from DNG-CBW and we exchanged the Permit to Travel. The person behind the desk asked us to confirm several times that we only had one Permit to Travel, gave us a bit of an odd look and then gave us the tickets. Although he said nothing it did seem to imply that he thought we should have one Permit to travel each. Is there any rule that people travelling together should have one Permit to Travel each or is one enough?

Thanks,

Joe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Two. A Permit to Travel is issued in lieu of a ticket so you need one for each ticket you'd have bought (so certain family tickets would require only 1 PTT)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Each person is required to hand over for inspection a valid rail ticket, travel pass or permit to travel when requested by an authorised person, if a person is not able to provide that, where facilities were available to get one, they are liable for a full price Anytime fare or a Penalty Fare. In summary, two permits would be required for two people.

island

Veteran Member
Unless you only had with you one coin between the two of you, you would both need permits to travel.

cuccir

Established Member
Well a duo is still two tickets, but as a Northern Rail ticket I doubt there are any available from stations wither permits to travel

radamfi

Established Member
At the top of a train ticket it says

Adult Child
ONE NIL

Is it possible for it to say instead

Adult Child
TWO NIL

So that would be 2 people on one ticket?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
For two people? only if the machine is programmed to issue a Duo (or similar) that way (a Duo should be issued as two tickets) and it is possible to tell machines to issue one ticket for groups of three or more, however, guidance being given to staff these days is not to issue tickets like that as there are potential problems at ticket barriers.

radamfi

Established Member
I'm sure I've heard guards asking passengers if they want everyone on the same ticket. But that may have been up north where automatic gates are rare.

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've heard guards asking passengers if they want everyone on the same ticket. But that may have been up north where automatic gates are rare.

Northern Duo tickets offer a discounted rate for two people travelling together at off-peak times but if you're travelling back at different times to one another then it doesn't work.

I think ignoring the South East and London you're probably just as likely to come across ticket barriers in the North West than in other parts of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.