• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two questions about Azumas

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Couldn't find anything specific on these so here goes:

1. If an engine fails do the remaining engines uprate to full output? I know this was mentioned way back in the design phase on the GWR sets but they have since been uprated anyway so presumably it doesn't apply to them. I couldn't find anything on this specific to the Azumas which still have the downrated GPUs.

2. Can the GPUs crossfeed power between cars to supply other motor car's traction motors or cab they only supply their own car?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Not sure about the first (presumably a software option), but the second has to happen surely? Otherwise the vehicles without engines wouldn’t be motored.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not sure about the first (presumably a software option), but the second has to happen surely? Otherwise the vehicles without engines wouldn’t be motored.
There aren't any non-engined motor cars on Azumas though, unless you just meant 'without engines' to mean un-powered (ie failed) engines?

D365

Veteran Member
There aren't any non-engined motor cars on Azumas though, unless you just meant 'without engines' to mean un-powered (ie failed) engines?
My mistake, I thought the pantograph cars were motored.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My mistake, I thought the pantograph cars were motored.
No worries. Afaik the Azumas are arranged:

5-car:
Pantograph Driving Trailer
Motor (engine)
Motor (engine)
Motor (engine)

9-car:
Motor (engine)
Motor (engine)
Trailer
Motor (engine)
Trailer
Motor (engine)
Motor (engine)

Domh245

Established Member
2. Can the GPUs crossfeed power between cars to supply other motor car's traction motors or cab they only supply their own car?

The electrical systems schematic on pg 5 (/42) of this pdf suggests it would be possible as the GUs feed in upstream of the supply converter which feeds both "drive converter" and the auxiliaries. Then again, I think I've looked at that diagram in the past and said that they can't crossfeed!!

That said, the developmental battery "tri-mode" 5 car 802 would imply crossfeed is possible for the reasons @D365 points out

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The electrical systems schematic on pg 5 (/42) of this pdf suggests it would be possible as the GUs feed in upstream of the supply converter which feeds both "drive converter" and the auxiliaries. Then again, I think I've looked at that diagram in the past and said that they can't crossfeed!!

That said, the developmental battery "tri-mode" 5 car 802 would imply crossfeed is possible for the reasons @D365 points out
I couldn't remember either way, but definitely read something that implied they could in the GWR thread some time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.