• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Nelson

Can sombody name the two Stations, both on a Main Line, one is West ****** one is North***** (***** = Same name) have a service passing through both, but are about 100 miles apart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Can sombody name the two Stations, both on a Main Line, one is West ****** one is North***** (***** = Same name) have a service passing through both, but are about 100 miles apart.

A slightly different one :-
Two junctions about 6 miles apart and have exactly the same name.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My initial thought is Madeley Junction, but looking on a map the distance appears to be 20 miles rather than 6?

12CSVT

Established Member
Clue to the two Junctions - they are both on busy main lines leading to different London terminals

4SRKT

Established Member
:) OK, two UK stations bearing the same name. There are no services linking them (indeed this would be impossible). Both are the main town in their respective local authority areas.

4SRKT

Established Member
Newport ? (Essex / Gwent)

Nope. One of the towns is a terminus of a branch from the regional capital. Half hourly off-peak services. The local railway operator is state-owned.

This should be easy. 2 junctions with stations, same name, about 250miles apart. The level of service at the respective stations is very different.

4SRKT

Established Member
I must say Clapham also crossed my mind, but Clapham North Yorkshire may have once been a junction, but hasn't been for many years.

buses7675

Hi All,

How about Waterloo (London) and Waterloo (Merseyside).

Both 750v DC third rail lines though!

Are there two Walton stations to, as the trainline.com always refers to the Merseyside one as Walton (Merseyside)

Thanks

buses7675

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hi All,

How about Waterloo (London) and Waterloo (Merseyside).

Both 750v DC third rail lines though!

Are there two Walton stations to, as the trainline.com always refers to the Merseyside one as Walton (Merseyside)

Thanks

buses7675

Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex

4SRKT

Established Member
Could also be Walton on Thames.

I guess these distinctions have to be put in to prevent cheating. It would otherwise be possible for me to by a single from Shipley to Bradford and then claim 'innocently' that I thought this meant Bradford on Avon. It says 'Bradford Yorks stns' for Bradford in West Yorkshire.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Same could also go for Hope (Derbs and Flints) and Radcliffe (Notts or Lancs (Metrolink)) :D

12CSVT

Established Member
Getting back to the 'two stations' quiz - a station on a preserved line with the same name as a London Underground station ?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Oo-er! Does that mean I have to think up the next question?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK... thought of one...

These two stations... neither are on the national network, both are narrow guage and both serve a town which shares the same name. There is, however, no connection between the two systems which are not even in the same county.

12CSVT

Established Member
Halfway ? (Great Orme Tramway and Snowdon Mountain Railway)

4SRKT

Established Member
Oo-er! Does that mean I have to think up the next question?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK... thought of one...

These two stations... neither are on the national network, both are narrow guage and both serve a town which shares the same name. There is, however, no connection between the two systems which are not even in the same county.

Hythe.

12CSVT

Established Member
Station on one Municipal railway system (ie Public transport system not part of Network Rail) with the same name as a rolling stock depot on another municipal railway.

4SRKT

Established Member
Station on one Municipal railway system (ie Public transport system not part of Network Rail) with the same name as a rolling stock depot on another municipal railway.

Northumberland Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.