• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two-together : excess - return only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
Travelling on two-together super-off-peak returns.

If our travel plans change on the way back so we're travelling separately can we excess the return half only ( at half the difference between the full and discounted price per ticket) ? Can we do this after we've commenced our return journey (as long as we're still together at the point we get the excess) ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I don’t think ticket office / on board staff would be obliged to do this excess. You’d likely have trouble finding someone willing to do this. It ought to be POSSIBLE but is probably UNLIKELY

island

Veteran Member
The official rule is that you cannot excess away a Railcard discount at all. The tickets would need to be refunded (if any value remains after the £10 admin fee) and new tickets purchased.

Unofficially, you may be able to find a clerk who will do it, but it would have to be before travel, and it would be the full difference.

JB_B

Established Member
OK - thanks for the information, robbeech and island.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Unless you want to do it at an LNER station, they will do it without question. The difference to pay would be the whole difference between the discounted and I discounted fares so I can see much point using the Railcard in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.