• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Together identical tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Hello there,
Regarding the Two Together railcard...
Do the two tickets issued have to be identical if the two people concerned are making the same journey but one aleady has a ticket for part of the journey?
I.e. London to Southend if one person has a Freedom Pass can one ticket be bought from London & one from Upminster or would both have to have the same origin station?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
A large majority of Two Together Railcard holders will be buying two identical tickets but I dont think that the terms and conditions actually require you to do so (although the tickets must be purchased at the same time).

As far as I know, most (or all) public-facing retail systems are incapable of accomodating your requirement but I understand that at least some ticket issuing systems used by booking offices should be able to cope. That means you'll probably need to buy the tickets face to face and you may need to shop around.

If you use the forum search you can find quite a few threads on this issue.

The terms and conditions are here:-

Edit: I note that the T&Cs now have an extra 'information' text after point 4.5

"INFORMATION:

Discounted price tickets purchased by a Two Together Railcard holder should be issued for travel for the same origin and destination and should normally be of the same ticket type (example both Off-Peak Returns)."

Note that the text says "should" not "must." As with similar "Information" points in the National Rail Conditions of Transport ( NRCoT ) I think it's reasonable to assume that this text doesn't form part of the conditions and merely represent RDG's aspirations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If the tickets were issued, I would say that they would be valid to use in the way you describe. However in most cases I think a ticket office will either be technically incapable of issuing that or otherwise the staff will refuse to do it.

Leisurefirst

Thank you all for your replies.
Conclusion - file under more trouble than it's worth!
(Normally I have a Gold Card as well, but I refunded it under the current circumstances.)
Presume the same thing applies to PlusBus as one of us (in England anyway) has free bus travel from 09.30.

P Binnersley

You should be able to get the plus bus as a separate ticket. It is in BR fares as XXXX to XXXX+BUS. You will need to show a ticket to/from XXXX.

I'm sure I've done this in the past when a ticket machine didn't give the +Bus option.

robbeech

Established Member
You should be able to get the plus bus as a separate ticket. It is in BR fares as XXXX to XXXX+BUS. You will need to show a ticket to/from XXXX.

I'm sure I've done this in the past when a ticket machine didn't give the +Bus option.

I’ve bought plus bus tickets from ticket offices separately, most of the time I haven’t even been asked for a ticket that allows it.
I’ve also bought them on board. I did a number of plus bus addons with the Northern 10p tickets, some with two together cards etc.
You should have no issues with this.

Leisurefirst

...ah, but if you want just ONE PlusBus ticket in conjunction with Two Together discounted rail tickets can you get
a) One discounted PlusBus ticket.
b) One non-discounted PlusBus ticket only.
c) Two discounted PlusBus tickets or nothing?

Leisurefirst

One of the above most likely.
I suspect so and that c) is probably likelier, in which case it might be cheaper to buy the least expensive non-discounted single to the destination and a PlusBus maybe rather than two discounted PlusBus tickets one of which you don't need?!

Status
Not open for further replies.