• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Together Railcard returns 3 March 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I wonder is that because they are not dropping two tickets in the basket at once? If you try to do them one at a time it won't give the discount.

Nothing to do with that. There's a problem with the TiS which automatically deletes 2TR Advances set up in RJIS from the basket. There is a error message that says something about reservations. Tried to find a workaround using heuristic methods but drawn a blank. Hopefully the problem can be rectified soon.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
On another note, ATOC seem keen to push this as I've heard lots of adverts on the radio over the weekend - although they don't really explain what it is very well :s

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Nothing to do with that. There's a problem with the TiS which automatically deletes 2TR Advances set up in RJIS from the basket. There is a error message that says something about reservations. Tried to find a workaround using heuristic methods but drawn a blank. Hopefully the problem can be rectified soon.

Which Tis?

hassaanhc

Established Member
A clerk should offer to sell the cheapest available through fare that is valid for the journey being made. A child can travel on an 'adult' ticket, so, if the GS3 ticket fits the bill, that should be offered.

Thanks, just as I thought. Probably got the wrong end of the stick regarding what RJ was saying :oops:, I'm sure he meant starting/finishing short and the like (for which I would agree with him as there are several instances such as Advances or restriction codes which ban it for some tickets, not to mention the risk of finding a small minority of staff making up rules about it not allowed even when it is...)

breadfan

Hi.

Recently posted message to Railcard Help (concerning Two Together) explaining that my son and I often use the same train travelling to away football matches, but that he occasionally then finds friends who are more interesting company than his father so nips off down the coach for a natter.

Got a very quick reply - on Easter Monday!! - very impressed. However the reply seems to duck my main question which was to query the definition of "together" - do we need to be adjacent physically or merely on the same train(s) for the entire journey.

Here's the reply:

In regards to your query I would advise that it would be best if you were to sit together to prevent any issues. The guard would require to see the Railcard to accept the tickets and if your son is not able to provide the Railcard when providing his ticket to the guard it may cause an issue.

This issue can also be addressed with the operator you are travelling with to confirm this with them however I would recommend sitting with each other to provide the tickets.

I wonder if anyone on this board is able to shed any further light on this question, perhaps from experiences in the pilot.

Thanks.

Don't go to the toilet. Or use a busy train where you may not be able to sit together ;)

That's two emails to the railcard 'helpline' in this thread and two poor replies. (see post #167 for my incorrect reply from them).

RJ

Established Member
I don't volunteer information on fares which involve starting or stopping short. Not just because of the risk that it may not be permitted, but because it can confuse people and create a bad impression for the customer.

Random question: If someone wanted tickets for two adults and one child and it was cheaper to have three adult tickets with GS3 discount, which one would you sell?
This links to both 1. And 3. where the other day my uncle wanted a Southall-Windsor&EtonCentral return for 2 adults and 1 child, which he thought was the case until I saw the tickets. When I pointed out they were three adult tickets he initially got concerned until I told him that it was £3 cheaper this way due to the GS3 discount giving them three adult tickets for the price of two. The price on them was slightly misleading too as the normal price was around £6 each but with the discount the tickets were showing £3.95 on them (he was surprised how a return for Southall-Slough which is shorter is more expensive until I explained what they'd done).

Yes, I'd sell the Groupsave fare. Customers in this situation are sometimes bemused when I hand them tickets with no identifiable child fare. I say something along the lines of "these Groupsave tickets allow three people to travel for the price of just two adults. Normally, you'd pay for two adults plus a fare for the child." They always understand and go away happy.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I don't volunteer information on fares which involve starting or stopping short. Not just because of the risk that it may not be permitted, but because it can confuse people and create a bad impression for the customer.

Yes, I'd sell the Groupsave fare. Customers in this situation are sometimes bemused when I hand them tickets with no identifiable child fare. I say something along the lines of "these Groupsave tickets allow three people to travel for the price of just two adults. Normally, you'd pay for two adults plus a fare for the child." They always understand and go away happy.

Yeah that is what I thought, good idea! And I like the explanation about the Groupsave fare :D

Status
Not open for further replies.