• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Together Railcard returns 3 March 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I must say that I find it strange there is no real effort from within the industry to simplify the product range in the manner that you have described, for example. The differing terms and conditions are not only causing confusion amongst passengers, but staff too. Surely streamlining all these into two or three offerings will not only make life easier for everyone, but also save on associated admin costs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If the Two Together railcard materialises, and after my last 16-25 railcard expires, I am planning to get a Two Together with another forum member just for travelling from London to various forum events :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How long til we get a sad story in the 'disputes' section, along the lines of "my two together railcard is still in date but I forgot my wife/girlfriend/whoever..." :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
How long til we get a sad story in the 'disputes' section, along the lines of "my two together railcard is still in date but I forgot my wife/girlfriend/whoever..." :)

No, it will be "nobody told us we had to travel together...!" :D

BHXDMT

Have heard from a member of rail staff on another forum that they were issued with a staff brief saying that the Two Together Railcard will be rolled out nationally in March/April of this year.

Has anyone else heard this, and can confirm it?

They were correct, I read the brief today. Launches March.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Do you get any discount for children travelling with you?

Fortunately, my son is not yet 2, so that's not an issue now and I really can see some great opportunities with this card (as in not having to buy a child ticket even for someone under 5) but later on, it would make some sense for a family that doesn't need to buy both types of railcard.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Do you get any discount for children travelling with you?

Fortunately, my son is not yet 2, so that's not an issue now and I really can see some great opportunities with this card (as in not having to buy a child ticket even for someone under 5) but later on, it would make some sense for a family that doesn't need to buy both types of railcard.

Assuming it's the same T&Cs as in the trial, then no - it's the two named adults only. Unless you were planning to make trips without your child, a Family Railcard would be better anyway.

For us, the Family Railcard will remain useful for trips where either only one adult and a child is present, or (as we do at least one or two times a year) we're travelling long-distance in a group and so get 1/3 off for two of our compatriots.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thanks. Seems it's the two together card until he's 5 then. By then, who knows what will have happened to all of these railcards!

insidetrack77

Got the new publicity through today for the Two Together railcard, seems this will be very popular indeed. The only restriction is that journeys cannot be made between 4.30am and 9.30am Monday to Friday.

Cost is £30 bucks, roll out from 1 March apparently.

breadfan

Got the new publicity through today for the Two Together railcard, seems this will be very popular indeed. The only restriction is that journeys cannot be made between 4.30am and 9.30am Monday to Friday.

Cost is £30 bucks, roll out from 1 March apparently.

Saw a couple of posters for the railcard on Shrewsbury station today. Offering a £3 discount for ordering online. We already have a family railcard but this will be a worthy investment too.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Saw a couple of posters for the railcard on Shrewsbury station today. Offering a £3 discount for ordering online. We already have a family railcard but this will be a worthy investment too.

Naughty Shrewsbury! The publicity is supposed to be embargoed until 1st March, with the Railcards available to purchase from the 2nd.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Leaflets for the new Two Together Railcard were out in the racks at Highbury & Islington (a London Underground-operated station) today; I have one here in my hand! Interestingly it specifically states that it's valid on Gatwick Express (which a Network Railcard theoretically isn't), and also Heathrow Express.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Leaflets for the new Two Together Railcard were out in the racks at Highbury & Islington (a London Underground-operated station) today; I have one here in my hand! Interestingly it specifically states that it's valid on Gatwick Express (which a Network Railcard theoretically isn't), and also Heathrow Express.

Naughty LU as well then! As for Two Together validity on GatEx, that's not entirely surprising as it's a National railcard, unlike the Network Railcard.

stut

Established Member
Naughty LU as well then! As for Two Together validity on GatEx, that's not entirely surprising as it's a National railcard, unlike the Network Railcard.

However, the Network Gold Card is valid on HEX and GEX (and SEX!) And that's certainly not a National railcard.

Great news about the return of the Two Together, though. Made great use of that during the trial, and will certainly be signing up again.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
However, the Network Gold Card is valid on HEX and GEX (and SEX!) And that's certainly not a National railcard.

Great news about the return of the Two Together, though. Made great use of that during the trial, and will certainly be signing up again.

"Gatwick Express" claims not to accept gold cards.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've seen GTX, GX, GEX and STX before in something that is at least semi-official. Never seen SEX used anywhere (unsurprisingly).

stut

Established Member
I've seen "StEX" as well. I prefer to think of it without the 't', although the experience is not nearly so pleasurable.

The GEX website quite weaselily* excludes the Gold Card from its list of accepted railcards, but only for use online.

Paul Duck

2 together railcard will be rolled out on 3rd March
Not allowed to be use on any trains scheduled to depart before 0930 (including advance fares). Two named people on railcard must travel together.
Interesting from may timetable change when Grand central will depart at 0929 monday to friday. Going to catch a few people out no-doubt.

IanD

Established Member
2 together railcard will be rolled out on 3rd March
Not allowed to be use on any trains scheduled to depart before 0930 (including advance fares). Two named people on railcard must travel together.
Interesting from may timetable change when Grand central will depart at 0929 monday to friday. Going to catch a few people out no-doubt.

Probably only those with tickets from Eaglescliffe.

gswindale

Not allowed to be use on any trains scheduled to depart before 0930

This could indeed cause problems in times of slight disruption.

Say I get to the station at 09:35 aiming to catch the 09:45 but all trains are being delayed by approx 25 minutes; so my expected one won't be in until 10:10 but the 09:15 is just about to arrive.

I would have thought that it should therefore be perfectly acceptable to use it on this delayed service as my intention was to travel after 09:30 and I am doing so.

island

Veteran Member
This is a difference between "trains scheduled/timed to depart..." and "trains that depart...". The restriction says the former, so delays don't matter.

Paul Duck

Probably only those with tickets from Eaglescliffe.

Yep, it means we will be splitting a Eaglescliffe To Kings Cross Ticket on the 0929 at Northallerton to gain the discount (2 GC returns to Northallerton, then 2 GC returns from Northallerton-Kings Cross wtih 2 together r/c).

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The leaflet I have says it is not valid for travel between 04:30 and 09:30. Nothing about scheduled departure times.

furlong

Established Member
Yep, it means we will be splitting a Eaglescliffe To Kings Cross Ticket on the 0929 at Northallerton to gain the discount (2 GC returns to Northallerton, then 2 GC returns from Northallerton-Kings Cross wtih 2 together r/c).

Ask GC whether they are prepared to add an easement, along the lines of the Network Railcard ones at http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/time-restrictions/ ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've also picked up a leaflet. It gives the URL http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/leaflet which seems to be out-of-date! The leaflet claims to be valid until 6th September 2014 and there's no start date mentioned so I wonder if some stations are already issuing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.