• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two together railcard with second person under 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leazes

I bought a some advance tickets with a Two together railcard to use with myself and my son.

My son can't go now but my daughter (15) says she could go instead for a 'day out'. I could buy another Two Together Railcard (got plenty of Tesco Clubcard vouchers so it's free) and put her name on it as the second person but the T&Cs say both card holders should be 16.

Obviously the tickets are labelled 'Two together' so I can't buy a Family and Friends card and use that (more generous) discount.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not allowed by the wording of the T&Cs, but they are hardly going to ask her for ID to use an adult fare. After all she's effectively paying over the odds!

Leazes

Not allowed by the wording of the T&Cs, but they are hardly going to ask her for ID to use an adult fare. After all she's effectively paying over the odds!

That was my thought the railway is effectively getting MORE money rather than less.

coxy

Perhaps look at Family & Friends railcard instead. Designed for Adult(s) travelling with 1 or more children.

Leazes

Bought the railcard and used the tickets yesterday with my daughter and no issue.

In fact they never asked to see the railcard!

RJ

Established Member
The railway generally allows this where it saves money overall.

Children can officially use adult tickets for Groupsave and under 5s can officially use child tickets for a Family and Friends discount so I don't think there would be any issue at all with this. Though nobody should do this as a long term strategy of course as better and more flexible options are available!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.