• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two TPE related questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
Does anyone know if this computer-generated model of a train in the link below was just that - a random computer design or was it the planned shape of a future class for TPE (presumably 185) which hasn't materialised?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3974527.stm

Also do 185s have multiple-tone horns available to the driver? Just I've heard on some a loud Pendolino/Adalante style tone used and on others a quieter tone more similar to the type you'd hear on a Sprinter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It looks like a 175 which used to run some TPE services on the North Western side of operations.

As far as I'm aware 185s have the same horn as is found on all rolling stock in the UK with two tones and two volumes for those tones.

Yew

Established Member
In a lot of places, drivers are encouraged just to use one tone of the horn (often due to residents) so although they might have a Two-Tone equipped, they might only use one in some circumstances. However a lot of this is down to the driver, and a few drivers on here had said something along the lines of 'I would prefer to explain to my manager why I did (use both tones) than explain to a family why I didnt'

Schnellzug

Established Member
i'd say it looks like a Turbostar with a hypothetical front end, which we can only be grateful never saw the light of Day.
On the subject of Horns, I think most have a 'soft/loud' facility these days.

Philip

On Moderation
I know all trains have typically two tones in the horn but the 'two tone' on certain 185s (I think mostly the lower number ones) is different from the others. I wondered whether it was all down to the driver but I only hear this louder 'Pendolino style' tone on the lower number units, not the 13xs/14xs for instance.

The 175's used to have a real high pitched sound blaster on them but these were definitely changed on all of them to quieter 'duller' tones a couple of years back. Don't think the 180 horns have been 'quietened down' though, at least not the Northern ones.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I know all trains have typically two tones in the horn but the 'two tone' on certain 185s (I think mostly the lower number ones) is different from the others. I wondered whether it was all down to the driver but I only hear this louder 'Pendolino style' tone on the lower number units, not the 13xs/14xs for instance.

The driver can only select loud or soft setting and can only select high/low by using the horn valve. The actual sound that comes out of the trumpet will depend on the individual unit. In an ideal world they will all be identical but with things like differing air pressure sent through the pipes or even damage they can sound different.

scotsman

Established Member
Could be either an early Siemens graphic of a diesel desiro (similarities to both 185 and 444) or an Alstom Coradia graphic (similarity to 175)

BestWestern

Established Member
Whatever that is it looks bloody awful! The windscreen area looks to me as though it's a chunk from a photograph, so perhaps it's an original image of a real unit that somebody has 'modified' (not very well :( ). Definite hints of FNW 175 there.

driver9000

Established Member
Given that the article is from 2004, the image used could be an early artists impression of the new trains TPE were to have built once the order was placed. The windscreen looks like the type found on the 360 and 175 a 175 body. Apart from the lower skirt I quite like it.

The bogie looks like its a photograph.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Given that the article is from 2004, the image used could be an early artists impression of the new trains TPE were to have built once the order was placed. The windscreen looks like the type found on the 360 and 175 a 175 body.

I wondered why the picture was used, until I too realised the date of the article. Incidentally, the same picture was used in an article the previous year, dated 31st July 2003, headed " New operator for Pennine route".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.