Two trackworkers killed near Port Talbot in South Wales (03/07)

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by tonysk14, 3 Jul 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebor79

trebor79 Member

Yes that sort of thing does exist in the mobile plant world. I bought such a system when I was responsible for a site that involved people working in close proximity to HGVs and large loading shovels. If they came within 10m of the shovel their helmet vibrated and an alarm went off in the shovel cab.
    On the railway, you could perhaps link it to the pee wee system?

2. dgl

dgl Member

Firstly i wish to offer my condolences and hope all involved/affected get all the support they need in respect of this tragic accident.
    Secondly,
    This is something I have been thinking about since the news of this accident came about and my thoughts on the subject.

Easily I would have thought, there are already headphones for drummers that use ear defenders with headphone parts (https://www.thomann.de/gb/vic_firth_sih2.htm), you would probably need a daylight visible light on them so that the COOSS/Lookout knows that they are still functioning and a regular beep in the headphones that is sent from the controller so that the operatives know that they are still communicating correctly with said controller.

3. colchesterken

colchesterken Member

I have thought of two things that may make work safer, How about temp whistle board about a mile back with a worker sign like on the road, the driver could then sound the two tone several times before getting to the work site
    How about a speed sensor type device again placed a distance back that sounds a loud warning to the site I mean seriously loud
    If any invents this I want the royalties !!

4. 6Z09

6Z09 Member

Track staff have been wearing ear protection while carrying out certain tasks for many years.
    The safe system of work takes this into consideration.
    Safe system of work doesn't rely on hearing trains.

5. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

While some of the posts here are probably well meaning, we are at risk again of delving into speculation, rumour and the , ' I know but won't say' types of replies. The RAIB and other bodies will be finding the facts and will report them, not sure how helpful continuing this thread is to be honest.

6. silverfoxcc

silverfoxcc Member

Colchesterken

Even better idea than mine!! And it is PORTABLE!!! Surely it wont take years in getting it put into practice?

You set it up with a Temp Whistle Board 1k/2k away and a motion detector that activates a unit in the ear defender. Not only
    does the look out ( i assume these are still used?) get an audible warning ie train horn he is also a back up if the workers do not appear to move.
    I note 6Z09 comment, however if it was in use in certain cases , viz the runaway wagon a few years back. a motion detector would have given them warning. Better to have too much than not enough, and i am one of the first to have a pop at the 'H+S jobsworths' who go overboard in interpreting their job remit. but this does give extra protection.

Anyone on here in position to put this forward ,and not take NO for an answer?

7. theironroad

If you've got ideas for new tech. Then start a new thread.

Leave this thread for people to express their condolences etc, though probably best locked.

8. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

Perhaps we should have a special thread for condolences instead.
    COSSs, and the modern equivalent people, will point out that setting up a safe work site involves looking at the local circumstances (line-speed and curvature etc) and the task, together with the PPE needed to do it safely. Ear defenders used to demand either a touch warning or cutting the power to their tool (on top of the time needed to get the tool out of the ground and carry it to a place of safety. Then work out how many repeater lookouts or lineside cable lengths are needed to achieve the necessary warning time. If it can't be done then a possession is needed.

9. theironroad

We did.

This was that thread.

It's been overtaken by people wanting to hijack it with speculation and wibble.

10. ABB125

ABB125 Member

I don't wish to speculate, but would the workers have felt vibrations in the tracks? Whenever I am near a railway line I can hear the distinctive sound of ringing, but obviously I don't know whether the vibrations of this can be felt when on the tracks.

Condolences to the families of those involved.

11. Phil-D

Phil-D Member

I don't think modern trains vibrate as much as the older ones did, plus if using certain equipment that is loud enough to need ear defenders, the vibration/noise from that would probably prevent you from detecting the train. As someone who is just starating out in the industry, it did disturb me hearing this, ok, I've heard of people being killed by trains before, in fact I actually saw the aftermath many years ago, but by the fact that I'm doing my training currently, it puts a different slant on the incident, sort of a 'losing 2 of your own' type of thing. Who knows, I should be on track within a month or so, and the next incident cold involve me, or one of the guy's I've trained with.
    We won't know for ages yet as to what caused this tragedy, I've been sickened by some of the theories I''ve heard already! Whatever caused it, we need to find out,and make sure it isn't repeated.
    My sincere condolences to the families of those people unfortunate enough to be involved in this tragic incident

12. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

The trouble is: all sound is vibration. So if you need to wear ear defenders whwn doing some manual work, the noisy equipment is probably vibrating too.

13. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

The fact the workers were wearing ear protection should never have been disclosed at this stage.

14. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thread is locked pending official RAIB report seeing that more speculation is again appearing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fatal-accident-at-margam
    Edit: the above information is now available on the RAIB site; if anyone has a good reason why they think the discussion should be re-opened, feel free to contact us.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jul 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.