• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Trains Collide in Swiss Mountain Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
collision of two trains in the tunnel near Oberwald VS

On July 3, 2020, two Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MBG) trains collided in a tunnel near Oberwald. According to initial knowledge, seven people were injured. The Swiss Security Investigation Board (SUST) is required to investigate the primary axis.

Around 10:10 a.m. , two trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MBG) collided in the Stephan-Holzer tunnel near Oberwald (VS). The car train 2428 from Oberwald (VS) towards Realp (UR) drove into the right flank of regional train 533 from Andermatt (UR) towards Oberwald (VS).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That is worrying, I hope no one was badly hurt. Is that on the Route of the Glacier Express?

MotCO

Established Member
I'm assuming it was dual-tracked; so how come a train going in the opposite direction came to 'drive into the right flank' of the other train?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Does that mean flank as in "flank protection"?
ie. pointwork at one end of a crossover was set and the car train overran a signal?

I'm somewhat confused.

Veteran Member
Does that mean flank as in "flank protection"?
ie. pointwork at one end of a crossover was set and the car train overran a signal?

I'm somewhat confused.
Side-on collision, trains going in opposite directions at end of double track (the tunnel is IIRC all or part single, in any case there is pointwork in the tunnel entrance)

Belperpete

Established Member
Side-on collision, trains going in opposite directions at end of double track (the tunnel is IIRC all or part single, in any case there is pointwork in the tunnel entrance)
Don't the Swiss railways have some form of train protection? Or is that only the mainline railway?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Don't the Swiss railways have some form of train protection? Or is that only the mainline railway?

I think not all lines to the same extent. I'm sure low-speed collisions have occurred in Switzerland due to this in the recent past, one maybe even on a SBB-CFF line.

alistairlees

Established Member
It’s double track for a short distance after the entrance at Oberwald I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.