• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two trains on same route at same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I've just looked at timetables on the Eastcoast site to check details for my journey this coming Saturday morning, having only just realised that there is Six Nations rugby on at Cardiff so wondering how bad the journey might be!

There are two departures showing from Crewe to Cardiff both departing at 10.38, both arriving at Hereford (my destination) at 12.18. For those continuing to Cardiff, one train has a change at Newport, the other doesn't.

I wasn't issued with a reservation for this leg of my journey although I bought Advance. Presumably it doesn't matter which train I get on? Is the extra one for the rugby fans overspill?

Or might there be a mistake on the website, as surely there has to be a certain distance for safety between two trains running on the same route? Don't see how they can both arrive in Hereford at 12.18.

Also just out of interest, is drinking permitted on sporting specials these days, or is it at the discretion of the TOC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Could well be double formation. portion working maybe i.e. 2x175's or 2x 158's

D1009

Established Member
I've just looked at timetables on the Eastcoast site to check details for my journey this coming Saturday morning, having only just realised that there is Six Nations rugby on at Cardiff so wondering how bad the journey might be!

There are two departures showing from Crewe to Cardiff both departing at 10.38, both arriving at Hereford (my destination) at 12.18. For those continuing to Cardiff, one train has a change at Newport, the other doesn't.

I wasn't issued with a reservation for this leg of my journey although I bought Advance. Presumably it doesn't matter which train I get on? Is the extra one for the rugby fans overspill?

Or might there be a mistake on the website, as surely there has to be a certain distance for safety between two trains running on the same route? Don't see how they can both arrive in Hereford at 12.18.

Also just out of interest, is drinking permitted on sporting specials these days, or is it at the discretion of the TOC?

There is only one train from Crewe at 1038, which is the usually strengthened loco hauled WAG express set from Holyhead. Hereford arrival time is as you state. I would guess they are dry trains.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
NRES is showing there is one train from Crewe, it is a Holyhead-Cardiff service. At Newport, there is a Gloucester-Cardiff train which leaves Newport three minutes later than the Holyhead departure, but arrives in Cardiff four minutes earlier, so the journey planner is probably just showing fast and direct options.

trainophile

Established Member
Curiouser and curiouser. I normally travel via Chester, where I pick up the ex-Holyhead train. Always assumed the Crewe connection started at MAN.

You live and learn!

So the 10.38 will be a longer train than the usual two or three coaches then?

D1009

Established Member
Curiouser and curiouser. I normally travel via Chester, where I pick up the ex-Holyhead train. Always assumed the Crewe connection started at MAN.

You live and learn!

So the 10.38 will be a longer train than the usual two or three coaches then?

Yes it's an additional via Crewe because it's loco hauled and so can't easily reverse at Chester. Last week (also 6 nations at Cardiff) it was 2 class 57s and 6 Mk 2 coaches. I think it's only south of Hereford it really gets busy.

trainophile

Established Member
I thought it was unusual that it was 10.38 as the normal hourly service is always **.08.

Hope you're right about the scrum (lol) starting post-Hereford. I have a shopping trolley full of cat food (don't ask!) that I was going to take back, but maybe I'll leave it until next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.