• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Trips to London Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Firstly i dont have a railcard its just me travelling and i need to be at said venues for 7pm each day can anyone suggest best tickets for these trips? oh and i dont have an oystercard.

Travelling Orrell-Alexandra Palace on 25th May Returning Saturday 26th May can travel anytime can anyone suggest best route to go for this please would i be right in saying Orrell-Wallgate Walllgate walk to Northwesten Then train to Euston then Walk Euston-Kings Cross Then Kings cross to a station near aly paly heard there was one?

Then on the 29th May Im Travelling Orrell-Brixton Returning 30th May Am I Right In Thinking Same trains to Euston then Tube to Brixton is best bet?

I dont normally travel with Virgin but due to Merseyrail being up the crapper for 6 months i will travel via Wigan instead

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigwilson

For the London end...

Then train to Euston then Walk Euston-Kings Cross Then Kings cross to a station near aly paly heard there was one?

The nearest rail station to Ally Pally is Alexandra Palace station itself. I think those trains come from Moorgate though so you'd need another change (probably at Finsbury Park).

Easier is to get a northbound Piccadilly line tube at Kings Cross St Pancras (going towards Cockfosters) and get off at Wood Green. Alexandra Palace is only a short walk away from there.

Then on the 29th May Im Travelling Orrell-Brixton Returning 30th May Am I Right In Thinking Same trains to Euston then Tube to Brixton is best bet?

Yep!!

Someone on here with more knowledge of fares will be able to advise you the cheapest way to do these itineraries. :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Step 1: get an Oyster card.

Anyway, with that done, for Alexandra Palace go to either Alexandra Palace mainline or Wood Green Underground. It's quite some hill, but there's the W3 bus up it from both the railway station (exit on the palace side, there's a stop nearby) and underground.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Step 1: get an Oyster card.

Anyway, with that done, for Alexandra Palace go to either Alexandra Palace mainline or Wood Green Underground. It's quite some hill, but there's the W3 bus up it from both the railway station (exit on the palace side, there's a stop nearby) and underground.

Assuming it's a gig you're going to and you don't want to miss the end to start going for buses, I'd advise walking back to the station afterwards.

Sometimes the venue provide additional buses but they make several trips before the crowds clear (and they're quite good at departing with the top deck half empty).

tsr

Established Member
If you come into Euston, consider using the Victoria Line to Finsbury Park, and changing there for a service to Alexandra Palace.

sonic2009

Established Member
Step 1. Get an Oystercard :) either online here , or when you arrive into London.

Journey 1. 25th May - 26th May.

Personally i think the cheapest way for you to get to London on this date would be via Megabus.

Take the train from Orrell to Manchester Victoria, which will cost you £3.80 Anytime Day single, and walk to Shudehill Interchange. Book your Megabus ticket online here..

Your best option would be to take the 1300 service from Manchester Shudehill, arriving into London Victoria coach station at 1730. This will cost you £8.00 book as soon as possible as the price may rise.

When you get to London you will then have 1hr 30mins to get to Alexandra Palace, which is easy, all you have have to do is catch a Victoria line train to Finsbury Park, then a First Captial Connect Service to Alexandra Palace.

Returning on the Saturday you have a Megabus service from London Victoria Coach station, costing £8.00 at :

1100 London - Manchester Shudehill 1615 connecting into the 1710 or 1750 train from Manchester Victoria to Orrell, with the 1750 being your last train, again you will need a £3.80 Anytime Day single.

Total cost journey 1 excluding Oyster fares : £23.60

Journey 2 29th May - 30th May.

Again the cheapest option on the 29th would be again Megabus. Same as above get yourself to Manchester Victoria, and take the 1330 from Manchester Shudehill to London Victoria 1730, this journey will cost you £8.00.

Once again an easy journey from London Victoria to Brixton, on the Victoria Line train.

Returning on the 30th with Megabus again take the 1200 from London to Manchester 1700 and this will cost you £5.00, getting you back in time for the last train from Manchester to Orrell.

Total cost excluding Oyster fares : 20.60 (including your 2 x Anytime Day singles Orrell to Manchester)

Getting the train on both journeys to London will set you back at least £100+

Hope all the above helps.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On the first trip, if money is your number one priority, take the Underground to Wood Green from Finsbury Park rather than FCC. The reason is that north of Finsbury Park the National Rail Oyster fares apply which includes the premium if you use NR + TfL on a journey including zone 1.

Victoria to Alexandra Palace: £4.40 peak, £3.40 off peak
Victoria to Wood Green: £3.10 peak, £2.60 off peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.