• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two views of one line from one spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsooN

From a high floor in the Holiday Inn Express in Watford Junction, you can see the WCML in the far distance towards London as well as Watford Station directly below you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
If you go to Dawlish station or langstone rock, it's possible to see trains approaching from the West before they disappear into a tunnel in the cliffs.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
ISTR that as a child I was taken up to the top of the Malvern Hills somewhere. My grandparents pointed out an ex GWR diesel railcar before it disappeared into Colwall Tunnel some time later it became visible again on the other side.

Established Member
From memory (it's been a good 14 years since it was my local station!) if you stand at the London end of Whittlesford Parkway, you can see down trains rounding a corner before disappearing, then arriving at/passing the station. Not the most spectacular example I know!

Peter Fox

Well that was a terrific tour right round the mainland UK. East Kent, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, Northumberland, Lincolnshire and Norfolk. I feel quite dizzy!

wimbledonpete

If you're on a Southeastern high speed rounder going east over the Medway at Rochester you can see the Medway bridge on HS1 over which your train will pass west in two and a half hours.

Established Member
I guess there'll be many places where if you take a boat a couple of miles out to sea you'll get at least two views of the same railway line.

I haven't checked, but somewhere above Old Cleeve in Somerset you may get two views of the West Somerset Railway: one westwards to Washford or beyond, and the other eastwards to Watchet or Williton.

But I wonder whether the OP was thinking about the places where you get two views of the railway from the train itself.

route101

Established Member
From the M8 towards Port Glasgow you can see over to the North Clyde line and see the Inverclyde line

Peter Fox

But I wonder whether the OP was thinking about the places where you get two views of the railway from the train itself.
I'd been thinking of land pointsor trains but why not extend it to boats. Perhaps the middle of a lake where the rails go (say for example) east along the north shore, curve around the east end then west along the south bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.