• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro Fleet Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

childwallblues

Established Member
A visit to Newcastle yesterday to see the Metro.Based at South Jesmond we saw approx 28 double units before they started coming round again. On a trip around the coast, up to the Airport and out to South Shields we did not see any of the units not in service. Yet after 1530 we noted "new" units operating peak hour services from Pelaw to Monkseaton. Where would these units have been kept during the off peak please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AutoKratz

A visit to Newcastle yesterday to see the Metro.Based at South Jesmond we saw approx 28 double units before they started coming round again. On a trip around the coast, up to the Airport and out to South Shields we did not see any of the units not in service. Yet after 1530 we noted "new" units operating peak hour services from Pelaw to Monkseaton. Where would these units have been kept during the off peak please?

Trains are kept at Gosforth depot and the new depot at Howdon can take 10 trains.

Each train has a number 101 - 112 for green line trains and 121 - 136 for yellow line trains so 27 trains are used for the normal service out of the 45 trains in total. Then there's the 8 extra Pelaw / Monkseaton trains at the AM rush hour and another 8 at the PM rush hour.

Last edited:

childwallblues

Established Member
Trains are kept at Gosforth depot and the new depot at Howdon can take 10 trains.

Each train has a number 101 - 112 for green line trains and 121 - 136 for yellow line trains so 27 trains are used for the normal service out of the 45 trains in total. Then there's the 8 extra Pelaw / Monkseaton trains at the AM rush hour and another 8 at the PM rush hour.
Presumably no longer 45 trains as 4022 has been scrapped and 4055 and 4062 are withdrawn.
We went out to the Airport passing South Gosforth off peak and past Howden in the off peak but saw nothing except two shunters.

DanNCL

Established Member
4022 was scrapped at Nemesis Rail in Burton-on-Trent last year. The two cab fronts from the unit were transported back to Gosforth where they remain as spares.

4055 and 4062 now reside at the Nexus Learning Centre in South Shields. They remain operational for training use so can be seen outside from time to time.

4001 and 4002 are long term out of use at Gosforth. Most likely they'll be hidden out of sight in the shed.

As far as I know the remainder of the fleet is in operational condition, including the other two unrefurbished units (4040 and 4083).

Additional diagrams during the peaks usually stable at Gosforth depot during the day. Most of the evening additional diagrams will reuse sets from the morning, though occasionaly some may appear in one peak but not the other.

Tramfan

Presumably no longer 45 trains as 4022 has been scrapped and 4055 and 4062 are withdrawn.
We went out to the Airport passing South Gosforth off peak and past Howden in the off peak but saw nothing except two shunters.
At Gosforth Depot, there were previously 4 outside stabling roads located closest to the running line between Regent Centre and South Gosforth, but these have been lifted as the new Depot building is being built there. Most trains are therefore stored within the current Depot building.

ModernRailways

Established Member

We have 79 available cars for use, 39 train sets. This can change quite quickly and the age of the trains is certainly not helping.

DanNCL

Established Member
We have 79 available cars for use, 39 train sets. This can change quite quickly and the age of the trains is certainly not helping.
I know that 4001, 4002, 4055 and 4062 are unavailable. Do you know which other ones are long term out of action?

Can I ask if the unrefurbished units above are still generally working please? I’d also be interested in knowing if there are any other units which are long term out of use beyond those mentioned in the thread above please.

Also, I’ve never managed to get a photo of the battery locos. Are they likely to work the RHTT trains again and, if so, is there a diagram available for this duty please? Many thanks.

bramling

Veteran Member
Can I ask if the unrefurbished units above are still generally working please? I’d also be interested in knowing if there are any other units which are long term out of use beyond those mentioned in the thread above please.

Also, I’ve never managed to get a photo of the battery locos. Are they likely to work the RHTT trains again and, if so, is there a diagram available for this duty please? Many thanks.

4040 and 4083 are regularly out as a pair, almost exclusively on the peak Monkseaton to Pelaw services. Not sure if they ever stray further afield than that.

4001 and 4002 I believe are stopped at the moment.

I seem to remember 4001 and 4002 have to work as a pair, so it may well be the case that one is unavailable which in turn ensures the other is by way of having nothing else to work with.

I’m not sure why these two can’t work with the other unrefurbished units, as they certainly did work together in recent years - 4001 and 4040 worked as a pair for some time in about 2017. I’m not 100% on this though, so open to correction.

DanNCL

Established Member

With regards to 4055 and 4062, they can just about be seen through the window of the training centre in South Shields from a footpath that runs round the back of it. When I walked past a couple of weeks ago they were stabled side by side inside the building, but both visible through a window.

The battery locos when they work are usually the first choice for the RHTT as using them keeps Metrocars free to run the passenger service. If only one battery loco is available there’ll be a metrocar on the opposite end of the train (usually one of the unrefurbished ones but not always). If none of the battery locos are available the RHTT runs top and tailed by metrocars. I can’t help with a diagram for it I’m afraid.

4040 and 4083 are regularly out as a pair, almost exclusively on the peak Monkseaton to Pelaw services. Not sure if they ever stray further afield than that.

I seem to remember 4001 and 4002 have to work as a pair, so it may well be the case that one is unavailable which in turn ensures the other is by way of having nothing else to work with.

I’m not sure why these two can’t work with the other unrefurbished units, as they certainly did work together in recent years - 4001 and 4040 worked as a pair for some time in about 2017. I’m not 100% on this though, so open to correction.
4040 and 4083 also take in Regent Centre as part of the peak short services to/from Pelaw. Their use on the rest of the network is rare but does occasionally happen.

4001 and 4002 can (and almost always did) work paired with the other two unrefurbished units as opposed to with each other. Apart from one very brief spell in 2018, the last time I recorded 4001 and 4002 paired in service was in 2015.

WestRiding

Can I quickly ask, whiteout invading the thread (i just didn't think it needs a new thread). Do the units ever operate on their own, as just 2 coaches in service? Taaaaa.

Volvictof

All the unrefurbished units previously could work together, however they can now only work in the pairs they have as 40 & 83 have been updated to the newer PIDS and door tones used on the wabtec units. 01 and 02 stabled together in the depot presumably waiting for the same update.

Can I quickly ask, whiteout invading the thread (i just didn't think it needs a new thread). Do the units ever operate on their own, as just 2 coaches in service? Taaaaa.

Metro services only ever operate in passenger service in 2 car formations nowadays due to their age and unreliability. I presume when you say “2 coaches” you are talking about 1 articulated metro car? If so you will generally only ever see them travelling up and down towards the airport doing brake tests.

WestRiding

All the unrefurbished units previously could work together, however they can now only work in the pairs they have as 40 & 83 have been updated to the newer PIDS and door tones used on the wabtec units. 01 and 02 stabled together in the depot presumably waiting for the same update.

Metro services only ever operate in passenger service in 2 car formations nowadays due to their age and unreliability. I presume when you say “2 coaches” you are talking about 1 articulated metro car? If so you will generally only ever see them travelling up and down towards the airport doing brake tests.
Thats exactly what I meant, 1 articulated set. Cheers for the answer.

Paul_10

I caught rather unintentionally 4040/83 last week heading to South Shields on trb 127 last week. This was at half 5 so not sure if they replaced a set or not and I worked out from the timetables trb 127 finishes in the early evening so whether they were out all day or it was just that one run I don't know.

Not sure what the future is for 4001/02 because they don't have the door sounders above the doors on the exterior whereas 4040/83 did(used to be lights but they recently got converted). I have a feeling 4001/02 may not be seen in service again but time will tell.

Volvictof

Thats exactly what I meant, 1 articulated set. Cheers for the answer.
No problem.

I caught rather unintentionally 4040/83 last week heading to South Shields on trb 127 last week. This was at half 5 so not sure if they replaced a set or not and I worked out from the timetables trb 127 finishes in the early evening so whether they were out all day or it was just that one run I don't know.

Not sure what the future is for 4001/02 because they don't have the door sounders above the doors on the exterior whereas 4040/83 did(used to be lights but they recently got converted). I have a feeling 4001/02 may not be seen in service again but time will tell.
I had heard that about the sounder but had completely forgotten. I hope they do come back into service as 01 Is one of the only sets I haven’t driven at all. need to tick it off in my book.

Tramfan

As I understand it, the unrefurbished cars are only to be allocated to peak short workings, so if they do end up on a full service run, it's because they've been used to cover a missing service train whilst in service. Indeed I noted 40/83 working the tail end of TRB 136 in the last week or so, like TRB 127 this also comes out of service at the end of the peak.

4067 appears to be the only other currently long term stopped car, been missing since end of July

hacman

4022 was derailed in the depot during some sort of shunting accident
It traversed a set of points from behind that were set the wrong way, and the driver then reversed it to try and correct the mistake.

This caused it to try to go down two different roads at the same time, and it basically got folded in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.