• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Yesterday was the Tyne and Wear Metro meet. Present were myself, Vikki, evil_hippo, tramboy, bluecont, scott_lowes, 6M60 SEATON FLASKS and Chris who I don't think is on this forum.

Vikki and I met up with the rest on a coast train at Monument, we were greeted with the sight of Zoltan waving a printout of a BR badge around in the doorway. We then travelled out to Tynemouth before doubling back to North Shields to have lunch. Next we took a bus down to the quayside to get the ferry across the Tyne to South Shields. Then we took a metro to Pelaw, while on the train we decided it might be a good idea to have a proper introduction so we knew who everyone was! From here we took another metro out to South Hylton and back into Newcastle (Central). Finally we walked to Haymarket where Zoltan assaulted Scooby Doo en-route and Vikki and I decided to leave.

All in all it was an interesting day. It was interesting to learn that I have a reputation, apparently some of the group had been "warned" about me, whatever that means...:lol:

I'll leave it to the others to fill in the gaps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig said:
It was interesting to learn that I have a reputation, apparently some of the group had been "warned" about me, whatever that means...:lol:

Didn't someone mention yorkie?
Whats Yorkie been saying bout my craigie??????????
Im dead nosey and want to know.

Ps Zoltan i wasnt really going to rip your N**ts off. Dont be so scared of me. :(

Guinness

Established Member
Victoria-Louise said:
Craig said:
It was interesting to learn that I have a reputation, apparently some of the group had been "warned" about me, whatever that means...:lol:

Ps Zoltan i wasnt really going to rip your N**ts off. Dont be so scared of me. :(

Interesting.... That will be a first for the books!

Any pics of the meet (NOT ZOLTAN'S NUTS)?

tramboy

It would have been interesting to see if Zoltan could've saved his own life if he'd fallen off the Shields Ferry jumping about that's for sure!

All in all a fun day!

Cheers

Dave

Hmm i would have laughed my socks off.

ahh
WHEN THE HECK DID U GET A PHOTO OF ME!!!!!! yes i see my head in that photo!!!!!!!!!!!! EVVVVVVVVIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLL

bluecont

My day began at 0940 at Durham station where i purchased my tickets. I met a friend on my course, and then got on the train with 6M60_Seaton_Flasks we then waited at Newcasle Station for evil_hippo, who came running out of his HST from Carlisle (late).

Outside of the metro station we met up with Chris (aka awkard42 off District Dave's forums) and Scott_Lowes. At this point introductions were made. We made our way on the metro (eventually) to monument. This was the slow portion of the meet. When we got to Monument we wondered around, and at some point I got a call from tramboy who announced his arrival in Newcastle. We also called Craig and Victoria-Louise who said they would meet us eventually...

So it was a race! Which tramboy won, hands down. When tramboy arrived we took the next train to St. James, and evil_hippo wowed us with his knowledge of Nexus (excluding the getting lost on Monument station.... hehe). At St. James the metro turned back, so we were in the front. When we got to Monument evil_hippo scared various passengers with his BR logo, but did find Craig and Victoria-Louise successfully.

We then proceeded as well described by Craig.

Tramboy left us at Central Station, then me and 6M60... and Scott Lowes raced the others to the monument, and won despite their daft claims of us running.

From Haymarket we procceeded on Metro back to Central Station, where 6M60... and Scott_Lowes left us. So Chris, Zoltan and I proceeded to enjoy H-O on a HST to Carlisle. Zoltan decided he wanted to go home from Carlisle. On the return journey there was some more H-O, and plans for the deployment of Bristol Trams.

Back at Central Station, I saw the next train to leave for Durham was due to leave in 1 minute.... and ran full tilt, dodging around passengers, across the overbridge, to try and catch the voyager. As I got to the voyager the doors closed in front of me. I was not very pleased. I wondered back to the destination boards, and saw the next train was due to leave in around an hour and a halfs time. Great service you get on this ECML I know.

So I got some food and wondered around central station, and had a chat with a guard who thought I was his only passenger (I wasn't) then discovered there was the small problem of his pacer being blocked in by a second pacer. Ie everyone out, and start the next one. At 2100 the pacer duly departed and I made my way back to platform 2, to find that my train had just arrived. And so had a group of friends (one of whom I saw on the way out) which was a pleasant suprise, so I went home with them.

A satisfactory end to an enjoyable first meet.

Ian

Jim

Established Member
bluecont said:
My day began at 0940 at Durham station where i purchased my tickets. I met a friend on my course, and then got on the train with 6M60_Seaton_Flasks we then waited at Newcasle Station for evil_hippo, who came Galloping out of his HST from Carlisle (late).

Craig

Established Member
bluecont said:
then me and 6M60... and Scott Lowes raced the others to the monument, and won despite their daft claims of us running.
It was probably more down to a certain someone stopping every few feet to look at/hit something :lol:

e assalted scoobie doo and STOPPED TO LOOK IN ANN SUMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not me who wanted to look

and You lot sooooo did run CHEETS!!!!!!!!! :P

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds like we'll have to have another one some time! (a day I can make it next time !)

As for Zoltan galloping, I can believe that ;) :lol:

Did he need reminding that he has a railcard again? ;) The last 2 meets I've been on with him he's bought (or nearly bought - 'til I stopped him) full price tickets forgetting he has a railcard.

Meets aren't the same without him ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ROFL!

I'll have to try and make your next meet, sounds like it was brilliant fun! It'll give me a chance to make my middle-class-sounding language to use, as well as having the opportunity to bash a GNER HST to NCL (from KX, will have to see if that's at all possible next time).

'Oh good morning ol' chap. Did you happen to catch the high-speed train from Kings Cross?' 'Why yes I did, and a marvellous invention there. First class service all the way' 'Hot crackers, that's excellent. I believe this calls for a celebration. Waiter, a bottle of your finest and most expensive champagne. And put it on my platium card'

Hard to imagine without the audio to go with it, but I've tried such jokes with people, setting the scene originally in an FGW HST 407xx, now with a GNER Mallard First Class carriage, seemed to make them laugh quite a lot when I tried it then. I certainly enjoy doing it! I might make an audio recording of it actually. I'll certainly put it into practise next time I get the chance (Carlisle trip I reckon).

Zoltan scares me slightly

and hun next time you try to tell people i went into ann summers, I will tell them alll your little secreat ;) Ok *kisses* Bye

Ps yorkie do come next time cos it sounds like your the only one who can control him!!!

Met Driver

Established Member
Victoria-Louise said:
Ps yorkie do come next time cos it sounds like your the only one who can control him!!!

From what I've heard, I don't think anyone can control him. <D ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd like to see someone control Mr. 'Northern don't connect with themselves'! Or for that matter, Mr. 'You sound Welsh'.

Craig

Established Member
bluecont said:
When we got to Monument evil_hippo scared various passengers with his BR logo, but did find Craig and Victoria-Louise successfully.
I had to make a similar journey this evening. Getting on the Metro at Monument wasn't quite the same experience without Zoltan and his BR logo :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.