• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro-planned closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
I am looking at travelling to Newcastle on 6th April 2019 and will be using the Tyne and Wear metro, is there any way of finding out if there will be any closures on that date this far in advanced?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

I am looking at travelling to Newcastle on 6th April 2019 and will be using the Tyne and Wear metro, is there any way of finding out if there will be any closures on that date this far in advanced?

If you email customer services they should be able to inform you (contactmetro(at)nexus.org.uk). Possessions are available to staff I believe something like 3-4 months in advance and I don’t see why they can’t give you a ‘provisional’ update if you ask. They’re only published on the website 4-6 weeks before they happen. In all honesty, there likely will be a possession on that weekend.

Last edited:

VT 390

Established Member
If you email customer services they should be able to inform you (contactmetro(at)nexus.org.uk). Possessions are available to staff I believe something like 3-4 months in advance and I don’t see why they can’t give you a ‘provisional’ update if you ask. They’re only published on the website 4-6 weeks before they happen. In all honesty, there likely will be a possession on that weekend.
I have emailed them to ask, Thank you
What makes you think there will be a possession on that weekend?

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

I have emailed them to ask, Thank You
What makes you think there will be a possession on that weekend?

Good stuff. Nothing in particular, just there is a lot of work going on and it does tend to be that there are a few weekends a month when lines are closed.

Will this planner take in to account any planned closures?
http://jplanner.travelinenortheast.info/nexus

It will do, but I’m not sure when it is updated to incorporate this. I’d assume closer to the time when the bus operator and timetable have been agreed.

ModernRailways

Established Member
For the 6th there are no planned line closures. However, the Sunday (7th) might have works so if you're planning on spending the weekend up then you may encounter some works on the Sunday.

DanNCL

Established Member
Metro tend only to announce their closures a couple of weeks in advance unfortunately, so at this stage it's too early to tell

VT 390

Established Member
I have had a reply from the email I sent and on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th April there is a closure between Wallsend and Monkseaton on the Yellow line but all other routes should have a good service.

danpick

I have had a reply from the email I sent and on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th April there is a closure between Wallsend and Monkseaton on the Yellow line but all other routes should have a good service.
Anyone have an idea what work will be taking place on the 6/7th April?

VT 390

Established Member
Anyone have an idea what work will be taking place on the 6/7th April?

In the email I got I was told that it was track renewal works, but whether that as true or has changed since then I don't know.

VT 390

Established Member
When do you think they will appear on the planner as I thought it was 4 weeks in advance

danpick

As their website is currently not showing any closures on the 6th April https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/modernisation?date=201904&type= As the reply to my email said there would be a closure between Wallsend and Monkseaton on this date could it be that there is no longer any work booked for this date or is it just not showing on their planner yet?
The details for Monkseaton-Wallsend service suspensions on March 23/24 and April 6/7 are now on the Nexus website.

VT 390

Established Member
I have looked on the journey planner but it does not seam to show the altered timetable for the 6th and I am wondering if when there are no services between Monkseaton and Wallsend will services still operate the usual 12 minute frequency from Wallsend to St James and Monkseaton to South Shields?
Also I assume that services from South Hylton to Airport will be unaffected by this is this correct? Thanks

cosmo

I have looked on the journey planner but it does not seam to show the altered timetable for the 6th and I am wondering if when there are no services between Monkseaton and Wallsend will services still operate the usual 12 minute frequency from Wallsend to St James and Monkseaton to South Shields?
Also I assume that services from South Hylton to Airport will be unaffected by this is this correct? Thanks

Airport-South Hylton services should be unaffected, yes. :)

During this closure previously, the 12 minute frequency has continued to operate on the Monkseaton - South Shields section. For the Wallsend - St James section, I am not sure exactly if the normal timetable is followed but this section does use 3 trains so is operating at regular frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.