• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnwilliam

Hello!

First time poster. Was wondering if anyone could offer some clarity around the pay for this role?
The advert states:
If successful you will commence an intensive 6 month training programme, on a start salary of £18992 per annum rising to
£37,985 per annum (once qualified)

So are you qualified following 6 months and then the pay rises or is there another pay scale in between until qualified which may be in 1 year/2 year time?

Thanks

ModernRailways

Established Member
The pay really small.

This is why we're currently losing so many of our drivers. A lot of drivers are moving up onto mainline work, a few have moved to freight but we've lost a big chunk to Transpennine and Northern.

You get poor rates of pay, and you have to deal with everything. You're not just driving a train, you have to deal with anti-social behaviour, train failures along with multiple other things on a near daily basis and you must do so alone in most instances.

From what I've been told, they are looking to hire about 50 train crew in this intake.

Paper copies only, however my advice would be to do it electronically then print it out.

It should also be noted that if you're successful you'll likely be the last intake to drive the current rolling stock.

Frankfurt

This is why we're currently losing so many of our drivers. A lot of drivers are moving up onto mainline work, a few have moved to freight but we've lost a big chunk to Transpennine and Northern.

Transpennine Express, Grand Central, DB Cargo and DRS have all taken on metro drivers (between 30-35 in total so far in past 18 months) . Northern for whatever reason won't entertain metro drivers - their loss.

Frankfurt

Hello!

First time poster. Was wondering if anyone could offer some clarity around the pay for this role?
The advert states:
If successful you will commence an intensive 6 month training programme, on a start salary of £18992 per annum rising to
£37,985 per annum (once qualified)

So are you qualified following 6 months and then the pay rises or is there another pay scale in between until qualified which may be in 1 year/2 year time?

Thanks

Just the one jump, half pay to full after passing out - approximately 6 months

Frankfurt

if that’s the case then, does that mean they’d have to join as trainees and go through all the assessments as a non-qualified driver would?

Depends on the TOC/FOC. Some require it, others as we've seen don't.

Cyclist

"NB: PLEASE NOTE THAT CV’S WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AS PART OF THIS APPLICATION AND MUST BE COMPLETED IN BLACK INK IF HANDWRITTEN OR TYPED"

What's the point of part 2 of this sentence?

johnwilliam

Frankfurt - thanks for the reply.
Once passed out is that the top end of the pay scale or are there further increments?
Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Depends on the TOC/FOC. Some require it, others as we've seen don't.
I’m intrigued now haha. So what assessments to prospective Metro drivers have to undertake? I assume its different to the usual psychometric tests?

Frankfurt

I’m intrigued now haha. So what assessments to prospective Metro drivers have to undertake? I assume its different to the usual psychometric tests?

Exactly the same testing as prospective "mainline" drivers.

Cyclist

Many TOCs close their applications early because they are done online. I’m assuming Nexus won’t do this because of the paper nature of it. Anyone know for certain?

Stigy

Established Member
Many TOCs close their applications early because they are done online. I’m assuming Nexus won’t do this because of the paper nature of it. Anyone know for certain?
I can’t believe people still use paper? DB cargo did until I checked last week and see they’ve updated it, but other than that most are online these days.

Cyclist

I can’t believe people still use paper? DB cargo did until I checked last week and see they’ve updated it, but other than that most are online these days.
agreed. I'm guessing Nexus being a public body can't afford to upgrade their recruitment system

skelator52

are the metro drivers tested to the national rail group standards? does the 2 strike rule system still apply does anyone know?

Stigy

Established Member
are the metro drivers tested to the national rail group standards? does the 2 strike rule system still apply does anyone know?
According to the answer I received earlier in this thread, the Psychometric assessments are the same as for a train driver (at least national standard). I’d imagine the two strike rule still applies.

Harrison108

Hi,

I am new to this board. I applied for the Train Driver job for Metro. Has anyone else heard anything back yet? I know it said up to 6 weeks. Just wondering.

ChrisRS

Hi,

I am new to this board. I applied for the Train Driver job for Metro. Has anyone else heard anything back yet? I know it said up to 6 weeks. Just wondering.

Not yet no. It did say deadline for a response is 31st July 2019 then assume its been unsuccessful.

Cyclist

Hi,

I haven’t heard either. Be prepared for a long wait because previous rail jobs I’ve applied for have been similar.

Owen2323

I've put in for this too and am totally new to the idea of train driving and the recruitment process other than the brief research I've done on here (I've not heard anything yet either and wouldn't really have expected to at this early stage).

Good luck to all prospective candidates and I'll post if/when I hear anything...…...

Owen2323

Seeing as the pay seems to be a fair amount lower than mainline/freight work would it be fair to say that the application process for Metro will be less fiercely contested do people think?

Stigy

Established Member
Seeing as the pay seems to be a fair amount lower than mainline/freight work would it be fair to say that the application process for Metro will be less fiercely contested do people think?
Probably not, because it’s still well paid compared to a lot of other jobs, especially oooop north.

Cusaeng

Definitely not. They receive thousands of applications every time they advertise for jobs and just like all other TOC’s they have the ability to pick and choose. A lot of people want to work for them as it’s a good wage for the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.