• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DI87

Congratulations! How did they contact you after interview? Phone or e-mail?
Thank you. I got a telephone call yesterday morning to say I’d been successful, she had me going for a while thinking I was unsuccessful

BFC1882

Thank you. I got a telephone call yesterday morning to say I’d been successful, she had me going for a while thinking I was unsuccessful
Hi. Sorry I meant how did they contact you after your first interview at Gosforth to arrange the next stage? I had my interview at the end of October so hoping for good news in a couple of weeks.

DI87

Hi. Sorry I meant how did they contact you after your first interview at Gosforth to arrange the next stage? I had my interview at the end of October so hoping for good news in a couple of weeks.
Ah apologies. It was by email with a link to a practice booklet.

Cyclist

not necessarily, may just mean he was one of the highest scoring people.
I think this is the most likely outcome so I'm crossing my fingers for a positive reply in December. Regardless, it's been a great learning experience so far!

Jarv4374

Congratulations,DI 87 I haven’t even been in for interview yet , it’s not till the back end of next week . How many people were in your group for the psychometric assessment?

DI87

Congratulations, I haven’t even been in for interview yet , it’s not till the back end of next week . How many people were in your group for the psychometric assessment?
Good luck, you’ll be fine. Just be yourself and I’m sure you’ll smash it. There were 6 in my group, and only 3(including myself) made it to the end of the day. Not sure how they got on in the interview though.

Jarv4374

Good luck, you’ll be fine. Just be yourself and I’m sure you’ll smash it. There were 6 in my group, and only 3(including myself) made it to the end of the day. Not sure how they got on in the interview though.
Cheers , well done and fingers crossed you get a start date soon

Cloudybusta

I guess the facilities were made available and they put the current highest scoring to date candidates forward.
It did confuse me at first why they would put 6 people forward before finishing the first stage interviews, but I suppose it makes sense.

Last edited:

Cloudybusta

Anyways well done DI87.
Sounds like you are the star candidate !

Last edited:

Cloudybusta

Was anyone actually told in the interview they would let you know if you failed?

I know someone that failed the application never heard anything afterwards.

Grayzy

Was anyone actually told in the interview they would let you know if you failed?

They’ll let you know if you get to the next stage or not, so the interviewer told me.

I’m not getting ahead of myself and waiting for the December time when they told me they would let people know. Staying optimistic :D

DI87

The competency based interview? Or the psychometric structured one?
Competency based interview I was told around December time that I’d find out if I made it to the psychometric testing.
Then for the Structured interview(Friday) at the end of the psychometric testing, I found out if I passed or not the following Monday.

L2355

The competency based interview? Or the psychometric structured one?
Competency based interview I was told around December time that I’d find out if I made it to the psychometric testing.
Then for the Structured interview(Friday) at the end of the psychometric testing, I found out if I passed or not the following Monday.

how did you find the whole day in general? I did mine yesterday and have to say I wasn’t happy with the setup.

DI87

how did you find the whole day in general? I did mine yesterday and have to say I wasn’t happy with the setup.
There were 6 candidates at my assessment centre. I think anymore would have been off putting. The day I feel went well and didn’t find the tests too tasking. I had a decent seat which helps. The only part I found frustrating was the interview at the end and then not finding out until after the weekend. I got to town early and went for a coffee and looked over that booklet they sent.

L2355

There were 6 candidates at my assessment centre. I think anymore would have been off putting. The day I feel went well and didn’t find the tests too tasking. I had a decent seat which helps. The only part I found frustrating was the interview at the end and then not finding out until after the weekend. I got to town early and went for a coffee and looked over that booklet they sent.

Yeah there were 6 of us too, day started as expected, briefed on what would happen through the day and about breaks and dinner. Started the pencil and paper tests as a group of 6, 1 lad knew he messed up and told us when we had our first proper break. We went back upstairs after the break to find we were getting split into 2 groups, 1 group went straight in to do the computer tests and my group got told to wait outside the conference room whilst the assessor finished marking the tests. Problem was there was no holding area so we were loitering around an open plan office where nexus staff were working, felt really uncomfortable and to make it worse the lad who messed up his test was in my group. He started flapping saying we were getting cut, he then got called into the room where he was told he wouldn’t be continuing. He came out to tell us what was said making us think that we were going to be cut, the other lad in my group went in then after a couple of minutes came out and said he wanted to see me. I went in and was asked how I felt! I said feel pretty nervous because I think I’m about to be cut! I was told to relax and I’ve passed all the tests so far and I’ll be doing the computer tests when the other group finished. I was sent back out on to the nexus open plan office with the other lad, the assessor said he was off for his lunch, we asked if we could go for ours. We told no and to wait until the other group had finished, when they finished the other assessor asked why we were standing around? We told her that her colleague had gone for lunch and we were told to wait here, we weren’t allowed back into the conference room because he had left all the tests in there. She cleared the office an told us all to go back in the room, after 10 minutes myself and the other lad were told to go into the other room to do the computer tests, we completed them then were told who wanted to go first for the interview. I said I didn’t mind going last, I was told to wait back in the open plan office so I asked if I could go for some dinner, he wasn’t going to let me but I said just tell me what time be back for as I wasn’t comfortable loitering around the office. I went away and came back at the time I was told too, the assessor was still interviewing the other lad in my group and the other assessor was packing away the computers. I asked her what was happening about my interview, she seemed surprised I hadn’t been interviewed and wasn’t told that I would be coming back for mine. She said I would have to wait till the other assessor had finished as he needed to be the one to interview, after he finished he said that he had forgot about me and moaned that he needed to get a train back down south and it was getting late. We eventually started the interview, could barely hear what he was saying so had to keep getting him to repeat the questions. He kept stopping the interview to moan about the cold! I was that wound up I felt I messed the interview up. At the end I asked how If I had passed, he told me he couldn’t say and that he will score it up and send everything to HR. I said well at least can you tell me if I had passed the computer tests to which he replied had no one gave me feedback? I said no, you were supposed to tell me. He couldn’t find my results but told me not to worry I had had done enough to pass that!!

I felt it was very unprofessional and I have no confidence in the assessor interviewing me. I want to complain but I’ve yet to be told if I’ve passed or failed and I’m worried it might come across as sour grapes if I have failed! It was all very bizarre.

DI87

Yeah there were 6 of us too, day started as expected, briefed on what would happen through the day and about breaks and dinner. Started the pencil and paper tests as a group of 6, 1 lad knew he messed up and told us when we had our first proper break. We went back upstairs after the break to find we were getting split into 2 groups, 1 group went straight in to do the computer tests and my group got told to wait outside the conference room whilst the assessor finished marking the tests. Problem was there was no holding area so we were loitering around an open plan office where nexus staff were working, felt really uncomfortable and to make it worse the lad who messed up his test was in my group. He started flapping saying we were getting cut, he then got called into the room where he was told he wouldn’t be continuing. He came out to tell us what was said making us think that we were going to be cut, the other lad in my group went in then after a couple of minutes came out and said he wanted to see me. I went in and was asked how I felt! I said feel pretty nervous because I think I’m about to be cut! I was told to relax and I’ve passed all the tests so far and I’ll be doing the computer tests when the other group finished. I was sent back out on to the nexus open plan office with the other lad, the assessor said he was off for his lunch, we asked if we could go for ours. We told no and to wait until the other group had finished, when they finished the other assessor asked why we were standing around? We told her that her colleague had gone for lunch and we were told to wait here, we weren’t allowed back into the conference room because he had left all the tests in there. She cleared the office an told us all to go back in the room, after 10 minutes myself and the other lad were told to go into the other room to do the computer tests, we completed them then were told who wanted to go first for the interview. I said I didn’t mind going last, I was told to wait back in the open plan office so I asked if I could go for some dinner, he wasn’t going to let me but I said just tell me what time be back for as I wasn’t comfortable loitering around the office. I went away and came back at the time I was told too, the assessor was still interviewing the other lad in my group and the other assessor was packing away the computers. I asked her what was happening about my interview, she seemed surprised I hadn’t been interviewed and wasn’t told that I would be coming back for mine. She said I would have to wait till the other assessor had finished as he needed to be the one to interview, after he finished he said that he had forgot about me and moaned that he needed to get a train back down south and it was getting late. We eventually started the interview, could barely hear what he was saying so had to keep getting him to repeat the questions. He kept stopping the interview to moan about the cold! I was that wound up I felt I messed the interview up. At the end I asked how If I had passed, he told me he couldn’t say and that he will score it up and send everything to HR. I said well at least can you tell me if I had passed the computer tests to which he replied had no one gave me feedback? I said no, you were supposed to tell me. He couldn’t find my results but told me not to worry I had had done enough to pass that!!

I felt it was very unprofessional and I have no confidence in the assessor interviewing me. I want to complain but I’ve yet to be told if I’ve passed or failed and I’m worried it might come across as sour grapes if I have failed! It was all very bizarre.
Crikey! That is not ideal. Thankfully mine went nothing like that. It’s good news when you hear back, definitely. Do you know the structured interview, the interviewer was asking me a question and then as soon as I was answering that one he was in asking a side question. I feel it’s something to do with concentration to see if you get sidetracked or not? I mentioned this to the lady that rang me with my result on Monday, and she mentioned a few people had said they felt that.

Caad12

I’ve been thinking back over my competency interview & I think I’ve knacked it up. Started off using STAR on answering questions but wandered off.

Typical and i really wanted the chance to progress.

DI87

I’ve been thinking back over my competency interview & I think I’ve knacked it up. Started off using STAR on answering questions but wandered off.

Typical and i really wanted the chance to progress.
When was yours? It’s normal to feel anxious and overplay it but you’ve got through the hard part. Think positive

Comfy

Would anyone share what the tests were? Just on the off chance I make it past the interview.

DI87

Would anyone share what the tests were? Just on the off chance I make it past the interview.
Once you pass the interview you’ll be sent an email containing an attachment with what to expect on the day. It’s the full psychometric test if that helps

Comfy

Once you pass the interview you’ll be sent an email containing an attachment with what to expect on the day. It’s the full psychometric test if that helps
Thanks , was just wanting to make a start and ive heard some tocs sometimes leave one or two of the tests out so ill just focus on the core ones for now.

Caad12

When was yours? It’s normal to feel anxious and overplay it but you’ve got through the hard part. Think positive

I had mine in October - I’ve just a funny feeling in my gut that I’ve shot myself in the foot.

Caad12

I wonder what the criteria is if you’ve passed tests up to dials test?

L2355

Crikey! That is not ideal. Thankfully mine went nothing like that. It’s good news when you hear back, definitely. Do you know the structured interview, the interviewer was asking me a question and then as soon as I was answering that one he was in asking a side question. I feel it’s something to do with concentration to see if you get sidetracked or not? I mentioned this to the lady that rang me with my result on Monday, and she mentioned a few people had said they felt that.

yeah he would read out the example I gave earlier during the testing then he would ask side questions like give me more detail about the situation, what challenges did you face, how did it make you feel, what did you do to change that etc! A lot of the time when he asked how it made me feel I would say stressed and pressurised! I thought by showing I can adapt and handle stressful situations it would look good until he made that comment ‘you get stressed a lot!’ Then I thought maybe I shouldn’t be saying this!

I felt some of my answers were ok But most I wasn’t too sure I should’ve said or were strong enough examples. I’m just hoping that if there is a total score I have to pass then the results from my tests and previous interview are high enough to offset what I felt was a poor final interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.