• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Also got email today for October. I know we have to wear masks during the tests but can anyone clarify if this also means the interview too? Just so I can mentally prepare for the weirdness of doing a face to face interview wearing a mask lol

Best advice would be to ask if they mind if you take it off. Most won't mind, and providing you are distanced (you will be) then it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure to put it back on at the end of the interview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tallpaul1606

I have a question, is there anyone who is self employed who has been for the assessment day? If so what proof of your national insurance number did you take with you? In the email it says a payslip or p60. As self employed don’t receive either of those.

MotCO

Established Member
I have a question, is there anyone who is self employed who has been for the assessment day? If so what proof of your national insurance number did you take with you? In the email it says a payslip or p60. As self employed don’t receive either of those.
Do you have any tax code or tax return letters from HMRC which should have your NI number and address?

Lemtrac8

Best of luck to everyone, the day really isn't as bad as you build it up in your head

I second that. It's easy to say but try and relax. Work accurately and as quick as possible. Follow the guidance from the assessors on the day. They are there to try and help you through it. If unsure about something, ask before you start an exercise.

Also got email today for October. I know we have to wear masks during the tests but can anyone clarify if this also means the interview too? Just so I can mentally prepare for the weirdness of doing a face to face interview wearing a mask lol

I’m aware that the OPC assessors ask for masks to be warn all day. During the MMI however, you will/should be allowed to take it off as long as you can keep 2 metres apart

MP20

Yeah this is true. You will wear a mask all day through the paper/computer assessments but will be able to take it off for the interview.

Koozar

Hi everyone, new here, I received my date the other day and sent the confirmation that I would be attending. Did anyone receive an email of acknowledgement after they confirmed their attendance?

tommyb2687

Hi everyone, new here, I received my date the other day and sent the confirmation that I would be attending. Did anyone receive an email of acknowledgement after they confirmed their attendance?
i didnt get a response so slightly worried ill turn up on the day and my name wont be on the list haha

jeff1989

I also didn’t get a response so I’m guessing they are just not responding to the confirmation. I hope that’s the case anyway haha

Actually just looking back through emails and I never got a response when confirming attendance to the first interview last year so I’m sure that’s the case this time too.

Koozar

Ah that's fine then, I only asked because I got a response to the confirmation email I sent for the original interview so wasn't sure whether to expect one for this stage.

Best of luck to those of you taking your assessments this week! Good to see that the cogs of railway recruitment are starting to turn again :D

jeff1989

Hope any of you guys who did the tests this week did well! I’m up tomorrow, felt confident early this week preparing answers to interview questions(if i get that far)
But now I’m sitting here and they all look like crap and I’m second guessing everything haha
what will be will be I suppose

Toon4life

Well failed the GLOP memory test today unfortunately. Gutted! Feel like I’ve got a longggg wait ahead of me until I get to the testing stage again, if ever. Hope the other guys who made it further than me did well though if any if you are reading.

Last edited:

Owen2323

Gutted to hear you didn't get through Toon4life - if that was your first life gone just use it as a learning experience mate. I think it's harsh they don't let you do the full day as if you have dipped in one area then at least you know what to expect next time. Chin up!

Toon4life

Gutted to hear you didn't get through Toon4life - if that was your first life gone just use it as a learning experience mate. I think it's harsh they don't let you do the full day as if you have dipped in one area then at least you know what to expect next time. Chin up!
Thanks very much mate, yeah it was my first attempt. On reflection I probably worried too much about the MMI and didn’t focus as much on the tests before it as I could have. Didn’t realise how bad my memory was until i did the GLOP test haha. One life left hopefully I’ll get a chance to use it one day....

f1nch26

Hey Toonlife, sorry you didnt get through yesterday. The 3 of us did manage to all get through to the MMI stage yesterday.
Hopefully find out next week whether we passed or not.
Dont give up, you know what to expect the time you get to the testing stage. You've obviously done very very well to get through the sift and interviews, so lots of positives for you.
I was on my last life, so hopefully it's good news for me!

Toon4life

Hey Toonlife, sorry you didnt get through yesterday. The 3 of us did manage to all get through to the MMI stage yesterday.
Hopefully find out next week whether we passed or not.
Dont give up, you know what to expect the time you get to the testing stage. You've obviously done very very well to get through the sift and interviews, so lots of positives for you.
I was on my last life, so hopefully it's good news for me!

Thanks mate I’m sure after a week or so ill get over it and try again! Like you say at least I’ve got an idea of what to expect next time.
Get in glad to hear you got all the way to the interview, fingers crossed you get the good news next week.

Owen2323

Thanks very much mate, yeah it was my first attempt. On reflection I probably worried too much about the MMI and didn’t focus as much on the tests before it as I could have. Didn’t realise how bad my memory was until i did the GLOP test haha. One life left hopefully I’ll get a chance to use it one day....
Which one is the GLOP again? I've heard of it but didn't see it in any of the practice materials??

Toon4life

Which one is the GLOP again? I've heard of it but didn't see it in any of the practice materials??

Its the one where you listen to and read a passage of text while making notes, then the text and notes are taken off you and then you answer multiple choice questions on what was in the text. Sounds simple and it probably is easy for some people but i had a complete nightmare with it on the day unfortunately.

Owen2323

Its the one where you listen to and read a passage of text while making notes, then the text and notes are taken off you and then you answer multiple choice questions on what was in the text. Sounds simple and it probably is easy for some people but i had a complete nightmare with it on the day unfortunately.

Nightmare mate - from practicing that's one of the few one's I seem to be quite confident about. If you pm me your email address I can send you another example to go on. I know its only one more but you never know it might just make the difference next time. They say you can make notes when reading the passage but I think that just wastes time - spend the full 3 minutes reading and absorbing the passage and hopefully it'll go in.......

tommyb2687

anybody with tests shortly slightly concerned by the look of whats going on regarding covid. I know tests have been cancelled recently, keep checking my inbox for the dreaded email

Emilali

anybody with tests shortly slightly concerned by the look of whats going on regarding covid. I know tests have been cancelled recently, keep checking my inbox for the dreaded email

Whos had tests cancelled may I ask? I was aware people had taken tests the week before last but people having them cancelled is a new one on me.

Owen2323

Whos had tests cancelled may I ask? I was aware people had taken tests the week before last but people having them cancelled is a new one on me.

All testing with the OPC for Metro which was due to take place between 13th and 23rd this month has been postponed

Owen2323

Oh dear that isnt good. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think they anticipated the North East being put into the tier 3 category and then it wasn't. Even the revised dates are obviously subject to change if necessary it's just the nature of how 2020 is turning out (a year we'd all like to forget!)

The Lurker

Anyone on here told they were starting training 4th Jan heard anything since their medical? Hadn’t heard anything and was wondering if it was all still on schedule given local restrictions etc???

Andrizu

Hello all,

I had my assessment centre late last week and had the brilliant phone call today to say that I had passed the tests/interview and in pending medical. Absolutely over the moon.

Was told I was originally on the early February course, but due to lockdown being imposed this may very well be delayed

How are people finding the training?
Hope other members get some good news also

Status
Not open for further replies.