• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Anyone here travelled on the Tyne and Wear Metro?

I used to be a regular commuter on it when I was at uni. These days I only really use it for getting to and from Newcastle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joy54.gen

I've done this a couple of times, the front seat is great and the only thing better then it in terms of views are the DLR where both sides have a window at the front

tramboy

The metro is interesting to say the least...the acceleration and braking on a metrocar is "different" shall we say (the clunk as it pulls away from a station says it all!) The only problem is that they don't run frequently enough for my liking, which is why many people is Newcastle (or at least the central area) choose to use the bus, or so it seems.

BTW I'm a student at Durham, so i do use it from time to time!

Dave

Craig

Established Member
tramboy said:
The only problem is that they don't run frequently enough for my liking
It was ok before Sunderland Direct opened. They didn't get any new stock for the extra services, so had to stretch what they had. Hopefully the timetable change will improve things. But I doubt it will be as good as they were until they acquire some new stock.

Incidentally there was a signalling problem earlier. 15 minute wait for a train in the middle of the evening peak, it was a bit busy... :shock:

evil_hippo

The withdrawl of one of the two trains per hour between Newcastle and Sunderland should hep no end. Timetabling 5tph around 2thph is the problem; stock is not overstretched at all (the system was always overcrowded to the extreme at peaks). I love the system, and even more the fact that people on the system actaully talk on board a train, unlike on the tube.

steve158

i used to go on it when it was two quid for a day rover, or i had a network travelticket. i agree reliability was better before the mackems got the metro.

metro_4090

I agree, the sunderland extention was the biggest waste of time ever! i use the metro every day and the service is getting poorer i must say! Bring on the new units! They also have this problem with raising ticket prices. For one stop am sure its £1 which in a way i can understand with people "hopping" the metro but the service hasn't changed since the launch so why pay more! :roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
steve158 said:
i used to go on it when it was two quid for a day rover, or i had a network travelticket. i agree reliability was better before the mackems got the metro.
It's not much more than that on a Wednesday though! I can't remember the price but it was cheap, it doesn't appear to be listed on their website (maybe it's withdrawn?).

metro_4090

PASSENGERS on the Tyne and Wear Metro are being advised to take away their litter from underground stations after operator Nexus removed bins over the weekend.

The move was in response to Government guidelines stipulating the rules concerning underground stations and stations of strategic importance at a time of heightened security.

Metro bosses have taken out the bins as part of a Government checklist and also have teams of staff checking key stations on an hourly basis.

A Nexus spokesman, said: “There is no need for our passengers to be alarmed as these are security precautions stipulated by the Government at a time of heightened security.

Is this happening everywhere? Metro are certainly on the ball.

David

Established Member
metro_4090 said:
PASSENGERS on the Tyne and Wear Metro are being advised to take away their litter from underground stations after operator Nexus removed bins over the weekend.

Metro bosses have taken out the bins as part of a Government checklist and also have teams of staff checking key stations on an hourly basis.

When was the last time you saw a bin on any station?

I haven't seen one for years.

tramboy

Nexus have always had "used ticket" bins on stations on the metro...so i suppose this can be seen as a good idea...especially at Central Station, where you can't find a bin to in the national rail section but go underground and there are a few bins on the underground metro platforms.

Cheers

Dave

metro_4090

The bins were not really put into the sunderland extension because of lack of use to be frank. The yellow line had them but due to the recent evens have been taken away. For the good really because they were broke, not used properly and were fire hazards before 07/07.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's surprising they've lasted this long really. It's also a bit daft saying used tickets only - is that for recycling purposes? Anyway surely you'd need to hold on to the ticket until you were out of the system, not on platforms. :?

Craig

Established Member
yorkie said:
It's not much more than that on a Wednesday though! I can't remember the price but it was cheap, it doesn't appear to be listed on their website (maybe it's withdrawn?).
I think you mean a Day Saver? It's on the Metro tickets page.

All of the bins on the platforms had/have a sign saying something along the lines of "Please retain tickets for inspection".

metro_4090

There only ment to be used for tickets but everyone just used them for rubbish. So metro just went along with it and placed "non ticket bins" around stations. Well after your journey in the 80's you wouldn't need the ticket anymore because the only time you used it was going threw the barrier. But that was taken out of all stations because people could just jump over them! So these "ticket bins" have never been used for there purpose to be honest!

6ae28053.jpg

Here is a "non ticket bin" just taken last week but now has been removed. Monument Metro Station

Status
Not open for further replies.