• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjohnson86

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a barrage of complaints on facebook and the nexus forum about the new doors closing tone, although I don't really mind it myself. I still think they need to change the unlock tone though.

Looking at coach alex's videos, it appears 4075 left for Doncaster last week, which means that 75, 89, 29 and 15 are the four cars down at the minute, and that 4020 and 4087, both of which havent been seen in service in months now, are almost certainly still in the north east. Who knows whether or not we'll ever see these 2 units or 4044 in service again in the future!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hacman

To be fair, the door unlock tone has had its volume lowered and is more acceptable now, even if still not great.

Likewise, I personally don't find it too bad as many other rail systems have something similar, but do agree perhaps 3 shorter beeps might have been less intrusive.

One thing that is a shame though is that the boarding lights above the doors had to go to make way for the new alarm hardware. When first installed and working properly those were probably one of the more constructive modifications made to these trains in recent years.

Either way, thank God they removed the old tone - it sounds like a cheap 1980's alarm clock!

On another note, does anyone yet know what those three black rectangles above each set of doors are? I haven't been able to get a close look yet and it would seem an odd place for passenger counting equipment.

Others may be able to confirm, but I believe there were 3 units that suffered major flood damage, so the ones you mention above may be those. I'd be quite interested to know exactly what damage they suffered mind!

Paul_10

I don't think the doors opening alarm has been lowered at all, its still as loud as its ever has been but from my experience, I don't hear passengers complain about them and as with most things, we have a moan at first but just accept and get used to it!

The 3 units I believe to be damaged by the floods are 4012/44 and 87. 4020 has probably gone down for refurbishment as this unit has been seen as late as September(so after the floods) and I have not seen it since that time. When 4044/87 coming back into service is anyone guess but 4012 has now been back into service for about a month now, and as I mentioned in this thread, it has received a new painted front end(twice) at the 'A' end only.

To answer Hacman's question, it sounds to me the undercarriage was badly damaged by floodwater which I assume knocked out the electrics therefore the trains can't run under there own power.

To answer Hacman's other question, they are apparently passenger counters, Bernard Garner said this on one of the Sky's Tyne & Wear videos about the refurbishments of the metrocars.

Tramfan

Apparently 4020 came back from refurbishment the same day 4075 went to Wabtec.

I noticed looking at 4012's undercarriage, that some of the components have clearly been replaced. I also think it sounds slightly different at the 'B' end.

Established Member
I've been told 4020 should be ready soon - it has been undergoing commissioning and looks as if it is ready to enter service. There is also something missing from the roof, which makes it look a lot more attractive.

The changes to the door tones have been apparently set up since the first set arrived back, but they were deactivated for a time. As has been said, the driver only now pushes one button for the door tones and to close the doors. I'll have to check but I'm sure someone said that one of the buttons has also been removed (most likely the door tones).

The sensors above the doors are indeed passenger counters, but how reliable they will be remains to be seen. Not sure if it can differentiate between people boarding/alighting and those who stand at the doors instead of sitting down.

4075 went down to Doncaster last Wednesday I believe.

Paul_10

I've been told 4020 should be ready soon - it has been undergoing commissioning and looks as if it is ready to enter service. There is also something missing from the roof, which makes it look a lot more attractive.

Does that mean this unit does not have the air con box above the drivers cab then?

Good too see though the refurbishments are making gradual process now.

Paul_10

That is correct, looks all the better for not having it as well.

I wonder why that is? Drivers not finding the air con thing being much use, perhaps? Or is it a cost cutting measure?

Wonder if the units with the air con units will have them removed aswell?

tjohnson86

Just wondering, if 4020 is almost ready for service and possibly left for Doncaster in September, what has happened with 4049? 49 returned quite a while back but hasn't yet been seen in service as far as I'm aware. Is there a chance that 49 and 20 may enter service together as a pair?

Established Member
4049 was paired with 4057 today on the morning peaks. Think it may also have been used to replace a failed set, so is probably still out on the system.

tjohnson86

Noticed today that 4038 has a new "Thomson" livery. Seems a bit strange to have a new livery on an unrefurbished set at this point if you ask me, as it probably would have made more sense repainting a refurbed unit, but at least they put it over an existing advert livery as opposed to one of the standard liveries.

Also is it just me, or has the door closing tone on the refurbed units now been quietened a bit?

Paul_10

Noticed today that 4038 has a new "Thomson" livery. Seems a bit strange to have a new livery on an unrefurbished set at this point if you ask me, as it probably would have made more sense repainting a refurbed unit, but at least they put it over an existing advert livery as opposed to one of the standard liveries.

Also is it just me, or has the door closing tone on the refurbed units now been quietened a bit?

Yeah it does seem a bit strange too me, front ends have remained untouched and the roofline has not been repainted either but 4038 needed another livery either way, as the Talk to Frank livery was looking rather sorry for itself with all those dirt streaks coming from under the windows in particular.

Also what has happened to that Steve and Karen's Metro Radio livery that a unit was meant to have? I looked recently on the Metro Radio FB page and I have seen the "faces" for the competition they had which in turn the winner would have their face applied to the Metrocar along with the livery but it seems to of been quietly dropped now.

Also to note a very rare sight(first time I seen it) but at Sunderland today, a South Hylton train departed from Platform 3! Answers on a post card why this was the case as there was nothing unusual to report it seems but it was an interesting sight especially seeing the signal changing to Green for probably the first time in a very long time!

Established Member
I doubt Nexus would want one of the refurbished sets to have an advertising livery straight away, after all the money that is being spent on the new body work and the final paint finish.

Paul, what time did you see the train at Sunderland? There is at least one early morning service which goes from platform 3 at Sunderland but terminates at Park Lane IIRC, which has to use this platform as the Grand Central service blocks the normal platform. This is what may have happened today - a few week's back I noticed it happening, but there was no GC service in the platform, so the route must have been already set up, meaning the Metro had to make way.

Paul_10

Paul, what time did you see the train at Sunderland? There is at least one early morning service which goes from platform 3 at Sunderland but terminates at Park Lane IIRC, which has to use this platform as the Grand Central service blocks the normal platform. This is what may have happened today - a few week's back I noticed it happening, but there was no GC service in the platform, so the route must have been already set up, meaning the Metro had to make way.

Around 11:45, I think it was the 11:46 South Hylton train with the TRB 106, obviously the timetables are altered for the xmas period but I could not put my finger onto why it departed from platform 3. A GC train pulled in from the South not long after the train departed and I think it was slightly late to start off with so surely pulling a metro train for South Hylton into Platform 3 would hold it up even more.

Still an interesting sight though nonetheless.

Established Member
Being reported elsewhere that 4076 is going down to Doncaster today, so must be another one coming back.

Maninblack

Just been past the yard and 4076 is being prepaired for Doncaster and 4015 has returned and is gleaming!

Paul_10

As people have noticed, it seems some units are taken off the system for a while and then put back onto the system only for them to head to Doncaster a short while later and this was the case with 4076. Was only on it 2 days ago after not seeing this unit for some time.

Has anyone seen 4044/87 back onto the system yet? According to the ITA files, they were trying to aim for them to be back into service by the xmas period but I have not seen either of these units yet.

Established Member
They are both still at the depot, not much has changed. Must have been some serious damage done to them - then again, seeing as all the traction motor and electrical components are below the floor level, if any water entered those areas then there will be a lot of things to check and replace.

4020 should be making an appearance soon I've been told, possibly has been out today.

tjohnson86

4020 was out yesterday, saw it during the evening peaks paired with 4041. Good to see the process is finally starting to gather pace.

As for 4044/87, the damage done must've been really bad for them to have been out this long. With there being no sign of a forthcoming return to service for either, I think we can be almost certain that it will be these 2 cars that won't be refurbished along with 01/02.

Also, I know this may be going completely off-topic, but I'm interested to know if anybody knows the longest amount of time 2 metrocars have been paired together for?

Paul_10

4020 was out yesterday, saw it during the evening peaks paired with 4041. Good to see the process is finally starting to gather pace.

As for 4044/87, the damage done must've been really bad for them to have been out this long. With there being no sign of a forthcoming return to service for either, I think we can be almost certain that it will be these 2 cars that won't be refurbished along with 01/02.

Also, I know this may be going completely off-topic, but I'm interested to know if anybody knows the longest amount of time 2 metrocars have been paired together for?

Not sure how you can draw yourself to that conclusion in all honesty, but it will be interesting too see which two metrocars it will be, let just hope its not more than two though!

In terms of lengthy pairings, last year 4033/88 was paired for what must of been around 4-6 months roughly. But perhaps the most lengthy paired metrocars might of been those that had the same advert applied to both sets and run them as a pair(e.g metroland, woodpecker cider and M&S adverts come to mind). I certainly remember the M&S advert units being paired together as a youngster!

Established Member

I wouldn't be so certain, it might be the case that if another two are in worse conditon, they'll be kept at the depot and not sent down to Doncaster. Only time will tell.

StoneRoad

Very early on Wednesday morning (19th) I went past one of Alley's rigs parked up with what I thought was a refurbished unit (4015 I think) as the load.

I was on my way to near N.Shields Fish Quay to collect a rowing lifeboat - the one that was in Northumberland Street helping to collect for the RNLI.

I didn't get a picture, unfortunately.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Sorry if its already been mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone know whats gonna happen to 4001 & 4002. On a Facebook group it was suggested that they would stay unreferbished as a 'heritage set' but I can't see that being practicle (even if it would be sad to see the original doors going) and I think passengers would not see them in the same fond light that enthusuasts would. If referbished I would like to see at least one in near enough (DDA compliant) original livery!

cdonnigan

Sorry if its already been mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone know whats gonna happen to 4001 & 4002. On a Facebook group it was suggested that they would stay unreferbished as a 'heritage set' but I can't see that being practicle (even if it would be sad to see the original doors going) and I think passengers would not see them in the same fond light that enthusuasts would. If referbished I would like to see at least one in near enough (DDA compliant) original livery!

I believe that the facebook page to preserve 4001 and 4002 was set up by metros known trouble maker a wont mention any names as i think most will know who am talking about.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I believe that the facebook page to preserve 4001 and 4002 was set up by metros known trouble maker a wont mention any names as i think most will know who am talking about.

Ah, I was not aware of a preservation page it was actually mentioned in another group. But, thats how rumours start I suppose. Considering 4001 & 4002 are a little different I'm wondering how much work they will actually do especially with those doors. I'm surprised how long those two metrocars have lasted with the original ones!

markydh

Those two sets are no longer being refurbished, along with two others (the latter two being permanent spares which will only be in service during special events when more units are required).

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Those two sets are no longer being refurbished, along with two others (the latter two being permanent spares which will only be in service during special events when more units are required).

Interesting, at least if thats the case that will be 4 candidates for preservation when they eventually get replaced. I'm surprised that they will still be DDA compliant unless a light bit of work could be done at South Gosforth.

As for the far off future I would love to see 3 cars preserved, 4001 & 4002 and a production one although I'm not sure who would want one/have the space for one in preservation. It would be nice for 4001 or 4002 to be preserved at the North Tyneside Steam Railway as the Depot was built as part of the Metro test track before introduction!

Paul_10

It would be nice too see 4001 being preserved in its orignal livery, and if possible original flooring and seats, whether its possible or not is another matter.

There does seem to be some confusion what is happening to the prototypes once the refurbishments are finished, will 4001/02 be in service again or not? I assume they have to be upto DDA by 2019 so it will be interesting what will happen, hopefully they will still be in service at times after the refurbs.

Established Member
The only problem with 4001 is that it has already been refurbished once, so technically isn't the same as when it first entered passenger service (also discounting the fact that the livery isn't accurate as well).

I don't really think that Nexus have thought about which sets will be chosen to be 'spared' the 2/4 life refurb - as far as I can see it is just about saving money. 4001/02 seem to be easy targets since they are not like the other units, and therefore their spec and refurbishment will be different and more costly. Having 4 cars sitting around doing nothing is not good business sense, and I have no idea what to think of it.

I was on 4020 today which failed this morning. I've been told that 4044 might be ready to come back into service soon.

Kryten2340

Chaos this afternoon. I would be intrigued to know what the electrical fault was that caused the mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.