• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdonnigan

Chaos this afternoon. I would be intrigued to know what the electrical fault was that caused the mess.

A train brought down the OHLE on the bend into south gosforth before the points causing the train to overheat as well there is a few pictures flying about on different sites flicker is showing on of workers on top of the train cleaning the site after the incident. Also on Facebook checky watch page theres a picture of the train being evacuated with white smoke it the background. I also thinking has this part of the line not recently been replaced as well but not sure if they replaced the OHLE as well as track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/8361950526/

also a short article in the Evening chronicle about the incident.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...ne-brought-down-72703-32567411/#ixzz2HOlE1P7F

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312360_10151211052642607_347708738_n.jpg The Picture on checky watch

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Was just track work, no OHLE was replaced in that area. IIRC there is supposed to be some work soon on replacing the wires on the system, but I cannot remember if this includes that section of line.

The only good thing is that Nexus Rail HQ is about a two minute walk and the emergency overhead train is about a five minute walk away from the site...

Paul_10

Metrocar 4052 was the one which had the white smoke coming out of it, was not there at the time of the incident but 4086 was paired with 4052 so I'm guessing it is that unit involved. Seen 4086 paired with 4064 this afternoon.

Some observations regarding the refurbs, caught 4015 paired with 4020 on the green line today, went on 4015 and noticed quite a fair number of lights not appear to be working on this unit. Also the infamous Monument mistake has also been corrected now on the maps of this metrocar so looks like Nexus has finally sorted it out although I'm not sure if the other units have had their maps corrected.

Established Member
Sure 4052 had just come back into service recently as well. Has anyone seen 4044? Apparently it was on test at the depot last week.

tjohnson86

I was actually on 4052 the day before it caught fire, and it was the 1st time I had seen it in a couple of months. As for 4044, I cant claim to have seen it yet, though I havent been on the system too often in the last couple of weeks or so. I also wonder when we'll be seeing 4087 again, I havent seen that car on the system for about 6 months now.

blue sabre

4029 is back today. Passed it about half an hour ago on the A19 in the layby just past Seaton Burn roundabout.

Kryten2340

Wonder if it managed to get back onto the system to get to the depot given the level of disruption today.

Wonder how big the crack in the track was?

Maninblack

I saw 4022 at Pallion today (Friday). Both units were joined at the "B" end as the air con units were in the middle of the train! I was told that the air con was making the drivers cabs feel like a fridge and they had restored the old heating units.

Established Member
I saw 4022 at Pallion today (Friday). Both units were joined at the "B" end as the air con units were in the middle of the train! I was told that the air con was making the drivers cabs feel like a fridge and they had restored the old heating units.

That maybe just due to shunting at the depot, the air con units have been turned off but cqb heating should still work.

cdonnigan

further disruption again today another train developing a fault at pallion having to go out of service

AutoKratz

So, there's a lot of talk about Metro ticket prices at the moment with the price increase this month and that infamous Facebook group! I thought I'd do a quick comparison between Metro and other UK light rail ticket prices. Price is based on the maximum realistic distance travelled i.e. I have excluded the North Tyneside Loop as no-one will realistically commute the whole loop.

Here's the results....
8382311066_cd7906f6b2_o.jpg

Last edited:

Paul_10

Perhaps you should post that on the checkywatch page and the T&W metro page but no doubt people will still moan about the fares, although you do understand why people do complain fare rises because it is a year on year increase it seems.

4044 is now back in service, saw it this morning on a peak working paired with 4078, no changes from what I can see though.

Established Member
Good to hear about 4044, much needed boost to the numbers.

AutoKratz, that is some good work (although saw on SSC the comments against it). A better comparison might be what you can get for the DaySavers - not many other places have Light rail/Heavy rail/Ferry travel for under £5 for all day travel to boot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4033 is now down at Doncaster.

Kryten2340

I'll put this here instead of a new thread. Mods please move if appropriate.

Just renewed my Network One pass this morning and the guy said that they haven't agreed to move to smart cards. The impression I got is they will never make the move and the let they will do is enable the magnetic tickets to go through the new
barriers.

I will be surprised if they don't as everyone seems to be moving in that direction.

markydh

Putting Network One tickets onto smart cards is the aim, but it requires the agreement of the Network One board, of which NEXUS is but one member (the rest being the public transport providers themselves). It will happen eventually.

Ze Random One

It should be noted that Nexus have 37% of the shareholding in Network Ticketing Ltd, so depending upon NTL's corporate governance structure, they *may* only need to persuade one of the big bus groups (Go Ahead have 32% and Stagecoach 21%) to push through any change.
I note that the corporate governance structure is not straightforward for NTL, as there are two types of shares, one of which may offer different voting rights (although they are both ordinary share types, which would typically attract a dividend and voting rights). I don't intend to (pay for and) trawl through the company's Articles of Association to determine which shareholders can vote for what (and what proportion carries sufficient weight to make a decision), but if anyone wants to, they are welcome (Company No. 02197910)

Established Member
Well, if it isn't sorted, the barrier staff are going to have a great time trying to get everyone with Network One tickets through each time a train arrives.

cdonnigan

Is it quite easy to get on a refurbished metrocar now? I always seem to get the unrefurbished ones :(

it all depends on allocations and which line and service they are put on the last few days ave seen at least two refurb sets running airport - south hylton was and one today 4057 i think it was and seemed to be holding up and looking clean on the inside despite the horrible weather.

Maninblack

I was on 4029 on Wednesday. It smelt like a new car!! I wish people would keep their feet off Metro seats though, especially when there is so much grit and dirt on the platforms during this bad weather!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can someone put me straight on a fact about 4001/02 please!! I have read somewhere that these two units were not part of the fleet for passenger use for a good few years after the Metro system started operating. Am I right in my thinking? I would really love to know as it has been recent a topic of conversation with a friend. Thank you to anyone that can answer this query.

Established Member
That's right - after the system was opened, they were modified to bring them in line with the rest of the fleet. Not sure how long this took though.

AutoKratz

too easy now, I'm always being disappointed when a referb turns up :(

Wow really? I think refurbs are much better than the old design. Im pleased to get on one. One thing I had noticed was that typical high-pitched Metro whurr noise has totally gone, how can this happen if they haven't replaced any of the equipment underneath? I was amazed how silent the refurb train was for a train built in the late 70s!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Wow really? I think refurbs are much better than the old design. Im pleased to get on one. One thing I had noticed was that typical high-pitched Metro whurr noise has totally gone, how can this happen if they haven't replaced any of the equipment underneath? I was amazed how silent the refurb train was for a train built in the late 70s!

I don't know much about the technincalities to be fair but I much prefer the unreferbished ones. I think they have done a good job with the referbs but I think they look too clinical and I hate the new door warning tones. Personally though, I would have rathered the Metro never opened and we had proper trains running but we are where we are! :)

voyager221137

Does anyone know why 4029 doesn't have the air conditioning box on the roof of the a end unlike the other refurbs

Established Member
They are no longer being fitted - according to other forums, the drivers don't like them.

4010 has been spotted going round the Coast this morning on way to Hylton Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.