• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Going back to level crossings, was on a train from Sunderland to Airport today, got to East Boldon and the signal just before the crossing was red, although I could see the ones in the distance were green. Barriers went down and signal changed to green, train moved off. However in the distance I could still see traffic crossing the line at the two crossings at Tile Sheds, even after we had went past the last signal protecting those two crossings. Made me think, what would happen if there was a problem with the barriers there, how could a train be stopped in time to prevent an accident?

Established Member
Also just realised the Metro I was on to St James on Thursday went into platform 2 instead of one. Makes a change.

Person A

Also just realised the Metro I was on to St James on Thursday went into platform 2 instead of one. Makes a change.

Orinally they were meant as island platforms. If you look to the other side of the platforms as you're going into SJP, you'll see straight concrete walls where the other side WOULD have been a platform. We were supposed to be going to the west end with them, and should have just about trebled the metro size by now going by the original plans (Blyth, Cramlington, Team Valley- Kibblesworth etc) all blown out of the water by Thatcher in cut backs when the bitch came to power, (always voted Labour until recently. No more though) and then it was too late. We were well placed to even open up the old Riverside line, believe it or not. BR also asked ridiculous sums for disused lines that they eventually allowed to go to hell and couldn't give away in the end.

Actually though, my boss did seem fascinated at the old mineral line - which has trees growing in amongst the track - down to Washington and via Leam Lane. So I wouldn't write off that being bought up in time. It could (and should have) connect up at South Hylton.

Established Member
Doesn't sound like the plans to go any further west than St James will ever come to fruition, all we hear now is that it will be too expensive to bore through the rock. Easier to put trams into the west end, until Project Orpheus vanished.

Person A

Doesn't sound like the plans to go any further west than St James will ever come to fruition, all we hear now is that it will be too expensive to bore through the rock. Easier to put trams into the west end, until Project Orpheus vanished.

No, that old original idea's long gone, sadly.

Established Member
Aye it seemed to quietly disappear a while back, hard to find any mention of it now. Also had some bad news last week, seems as if there is going to be jobs cuts soon (according to the papers). Hopefully they will have some in two years' time.

Person A

Aye it seemed to quietly disappear a while back, hard to find any mention of it now. Also had some bad news last week, seems as if there is going to be jobs cuts soon (according to the papers). Hopefully they will have some in two years' time.

Talking to one of the cleaners and he said it's Nexus, not DB saying this. So it's cleaners and office staff (never managers notice ? Course they'll have a LOOOONNGG way to go before they're as bad as the NHS trusts - get rid of Doctors Nurses Cleaners and employ a few more of their friends as managers. They take "too many chiefs and not enough indians" to obscene extremes<()

Established Member
What is the situation with DB advertising for jobs? I have only seen a few around on job sites but Nexus put theirs on the website, but are DB able to use Nexus to advertise vacancies?

Person A

What is the situation with DB advertising for jobs? I have only seen a few around on job sites but Nexus put theirs on the website, but are DB able to use Nexus to advertise vacancies?

Would imagine DB are more than big enough to do it themselves !
They're based in Regent Centre

Huw lewis of Nexus writes: I can confirm that DBTW will continue to post job vacancies at www.nexus.org.uk/recruitment alongside vacancies advertised by Nexus.

I would also add that it is not true to say that Nexus managerial posts will be excluded from the cutbacks we are looking for across our business. The process to find efficiency savings will look at all positions and areas of work, with the aim of reducing costs without affecting frontline services, if we can avoid it.

blue sabre

Going back to level crossings, was on a train from Sunderland to Airport today, got to East Boldon and the signal just before the crossing was red, although I could see the ones in the distance were green. Barriers went down and signal changed to green, train moved off. However in the distance I could still see traffic crossing the line at the two crossings at Tile Sheds, even after we had went past the last signal protecting those two crossings. Made me think, what would happen if there was a problem with the barriers there, how could a train be stopped in time to prevent an accident?
I had noticed that, was tryimg to work it out but I can't see any possible way to do it.

Person A

Signaler can activate the signal even though it shows green in an emergency
Doesn't apply to all other trains though

Established Member
Not sure what you mean by that, as once past the last signal (will have to get its number one day), the next signal is after the two level crossings.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

If I understand your description correctly, East Boldon is a full barriered crossing. The next two are automatic half barrier crossings. These do not have 'protecting signals' on the railway side, they rely entirely on the road users following the rules, so what you see with the signalling is perfectly normal.

Edit - Just thought I'd add a reminder that the NR section is different to the operation of the Metro's own open crossings, where the train driver does see a signal.

Last edited:

Established Member
That is indeed correct, thanks for the info. Before the extension was opened I guess this was taken into consideration, but if a car hit a Metro that was going at full speed at these two AHBs I would hate to think what would happen. The damage can be bad enough to a Metro on the unbarriered level crossings on the original network, but would be far worse on the extension.

djw1981

Established Member
I think that teh drivers tend to approach the unbarriered level crosisngs at relatively lower speeds so rely on a visual check?

Established Member
That's true for the ones on the 'main' network such as Fawdon, Callerton, Kingston Park, Bank Foot and Howdon, as they are all either just before or after stations. However on the Sunderland extension the half barrier crossings are where the Metro is going full pelt (and normal trains as well), so if for some reason there was a problem with the barrier, the train may not be able to stop in time.

Person A

Not sure what you mean by that, as once past the last signal (will have to get its number one day), the next signal is after the two level crossings.

I should know ! ;) The East Boldon signal is T6239. The signal BEFORE Tile Sheds is T6243.
On the up line also there is before the crossings, a signal, T6248
Was on there today, just to make sure of the numbers anyways.:lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's true for the ones on the 'main' network such as Fawdon, Callerton, Kingston Park, Bank Foot and Howdon, as they are all either just before or after stations. However on the Sunderland extension the half barrier crossings are where the Metro is going full pelt (and normal trains as well), so if for some reason there was a problem with the barrier, the train may not be able to stop in time.

This is what is surprising me about this threaad. The situation described here is no different to AHBs elsewhere on Network Rail's system. Train speeds are limited to 100 mph at an AHB (unless normal line speed is lower of course), and there is NO interlocking with the signals. Train drivers do not slow down for AHBs...

Established Member
Trying to think of other places where it happens but can't. Guess it is perfectly acceptible to have it that way.

Person A

This is what is surprising me about this threaad. The situation described here is no different to AHBs elsewhere on Network Rail's system. Train speeds are limited to 100 mph at an AHB (unless normal line speed is lower of course), and there is NO interlocking with the signals. Train drivers do not slow down for AHBs...

Absolutely correct - unless otherwise told to, or emergency situation.

Established Member
While at the open day I was told (when sitting in the driver's seat - highlight of the week) that the Metros will be in a semi-permanent coupling when they return from Doncaster, so this means only one cab will be refurbished. Guess this means that Nexus have abandonded the single carriage working plan that they had a few years ago?

Person A

While at the open day I was told (when sitting in the driver's seat - highlight of the week) that the Metros will be in a semi-permanent coupling when they return from Doncaster, so this means only one cab will be refurbished. Guess this means that Nexus have abandonded the single carriage working plan that they had a few years ago?

Well....thats interesting. Never heard that. Single cars are a pain in the...that said, it was handy just walking the length of one car. But, a problem can be got round with the other car. Problem in one car and you're knackered. But I'll be surprised if we can't remarshall them. Cracked windscreen (happened twice to me) windsceen wiper/horn/whatever not working....you get my drift.
See what I mean about the hydraulic seats ? I gather new seats are on their way regardless of the refitting. Tried two months ago, but dunno if either are the ones chosen.

By the way - did they show you our driver's room ?
During the dinner times some of the depot staff take their dinners in our room, and then the depot blames US for being scruffy !!!!! (We pointed this out to the dopes who said it, by the way. They haven't been as snotty since)

Last edited:

Established Member
Not sure who the guy was but he seemed to know his stuff. I asked him what would happen if one car became knackered, he just said it could be replaced with another. He did say they would be semi-permanently coupled, but in a way they are already. The only thing I can think of is that it will save some money on the cab refurbs and thats it.

Did indeed try the chair, seemed to be comfortable but was only sitting in it for a few minutes. I did spot a couple of chairs in the north part of the depot which someone had put the old Metro seat covers on. Looked quite good, wonder how long it will be until it's on eBay?

Whereabouts was the drivers room? There was a small room next to the canteen but was being used by staff. Quite surpirsed about the hot drinks machines, 10p for a coffee or tea! Cheapest cup of tea I've had in years!

Got a new cup as well, looked like they had some leftovers from ones given to staff. Also a pen about reducing SPADs. All in all a very interesting day.

Person A

Whereabouts was the drivers room? There was a small room next to the canteen but was being used by staff. Quite surpirsed about the hot drinks machines, 10p for a coffee or tea! Cheapest cup of tea I've had in years!

Got a new cup as well, looked like they had some leftovers from ones given to staff. Also a pen about reducing SPADs. All in all a very interesting day.

That was the drivers room. Go in the door first on right. Canteen 2nd on right. So the depot staff continue having their meals in our room do they ?
Yeah, we got cups with DB on them and pens too (and small tiepins too. Quite natty):)

Established Member
Seemed to be a popular room when I went past. Didn't notice if it was dirty or not. When I was looking at the stabled Metrocars, thought someone was being funny in the depot, most of the trains had "Sunderland" on the front of them. Bloody mackems!

Status
Not open for further replies.