• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Good news on the Metrocar reliability issue...

Nexus have stepped in and are to overhaul all the pneumatic-actuator passenger doors across the entire fleet. The reliability of the saloon doors has been a significant causal factor of Metrocars being withdrawn from service and therefore contributed to the recent drop in reliability.

Work will begin immediately and carried out by DB at South Gosforth.

Wasn't this done a while ago or is this new?

Also, a few trains being withdrawn have been because drivers haven't shown and no spares are available resulting in a train being removed.

Finally, if these door faults are the main cause then why hasn't it happened before or is it just because they're old now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Good news on the Metrocar reliability issue...

Nexus have stepped in and are to overhaul all the pneumatic-actuator passenger doors across the entire fleet. The reliability of the saloon doors has been a significant causal factor of Metrocars being withdrawn from service and therefore contributed to the recent drop in reliability.

Work will begin immediately and carried out by DB at South Gosforth.

Work started on this a while back, and has been progressing for a number of months.

ModernRailways said:
Also, a few trains being withdrawn have been because drivers haven't shown and no spares are available resulting in a train being removed.

This isn't exactly true, as with any railway there are spare drivers in case someone doesn't turn in or turns up late. A few months ago industrial action by one of the unions meant an overtime ban which resulted in services cancelled. Any cancellations at the minute are due to rolling stock shortages.

Kryten2340

More outrage today about Metro's plans to install bollards in front of every escalator in what is an admirable effort but is clearly not what they should be prioritising in my view. In fact I agree with some of the posts on Facebook about people will just lift their luggage up and over or squeeze it through the bollards. It does also penalise those who are claustrophobic.

blue sabre

More outrage today about Metro's plans to install bollards in front of every escalator in what is an admirable effort but is clearly not what they should be prioritising in my view. In fact I agree with some of the posts on Facebook about people will just lift their luggage up and over or squeeze it through the bollards. It does also penalise those who are claustrophobic.

I'm more miffed about them arranging a meet the manager session on a weekday in office hours. No option for commuters who use the service everyday to get to work and back to have their say.

ModernRailways

Established Member
This isn't exactly true, as with any railway there are spare drivers in case someone doesn't turn in or turns up late. A few months ago industrial action by one of the unions meant an overtime ban which resulted in services cancelled. Any cancellations at the minute are due to rolling stock shortages.

This isn't true. Trains have been withdrawn lately due to shortage of drivers, if I recall correctly it was because a driver was unfairly dismissed. Obviously, some have been withdrawn due to faults etc. though

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There have been a lot of trains out in service with trainee drivers at the minute, naturally losing bucketfuls of time as a result. I'm assuming they've got a shortage.

The bollards on the escalators are a good idea, mostly to stop people with pushchairs using them. I don't see why the bollard would make claustrophobia worse. If you're too claustrophobic to use a lift, and you have big bags or a pushchair, then an underground train service probably isn't for you. I don't think installing them will affect other maintenance, it's not as though they're difficult things to bolt to the floor.

blue sabre said:
No option for commuters who use the service everyday to get to work and back to have their say.

What an unfortunate coincidence.

Went to have a look at the bollards at Central yesterday. (Sad, I know, but it has to be done!) Just in time to follow a couple up the escalator with a buggy. When they got to the new barriers the (large) man decided to lift the buggy and child over the barriers. A member of staff intervened (brave chap) and told the couple to use the lift in order to get to main line station level. How thick are some people? I would not have believed this had I not seen it for myself!

Established Member
This isn't true. Trains have been withdrawn lately due to shortage of drivers, if I recall correctly it was because a driver was unfairly dismissed. Obviously, some have been withdrawn due to faults etc. though

With all due respect, you are wrong on this occasion. As I said, there was industrial action by one of the unions which resulted in an overtime ban and refusal to work rest days. This was sorted weeks ago, and staffing levels are back to normal. Very few services have been cancelled recently due to a lack of drivers - as I pointed out there are always spare turns which cover for drivers not turning up for a shift.

Arctic Troll said:
There have been a lot of trains out in service with trainee drivers at the minute, naturally losing bucketfuls of time as a result.

Training trains shouldn't be causing delays as they are slotted in between the normal service. One positive thing is that there is then a spare train out on the system which can be used if a service train needs to be taken out of service.

Paul_10

Apparently 69% of trains in the last period ran on time, shocking figure and I wonder how much in the way of fines DB will be coughing up over this.

More delays apparently due to a train being withdrawn from service at Heworth(and there was a train withdrawn from Howdon) so low rail adhesion cannot be helped, the fleet reliability is still a cause for concern and lets be honest, it has been for well over a year now.

Just to think those predictions of if that large sum of money was not granted that the system would decline and fail by 2018 yet despite investment, we are still seeing what could of happened if the system was not upgraded so whilst some passengers will question why the investment does not seem to be working, I would imagine the situation would be even worse if the government never give metro the money to upgrade the system.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Or alternatively we could be seeing what the trade unions predicted, a scrimping on maintenance to maintain profit margins for DB Regio.

It's not as though DB Regio don't have form on this. Just ask the people of Berlin.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Or alternatively we could be seeing what the trade unions predicted, a scrimping on maintenance to maintain profit margins for DB Regio.

It's not as though DB Regio don't have form on this. Just ask the people of Berlin.

I wonder if Nexus would hold this kind of information. Maybe under the amount of money spent on maintaining trains etc. If Nexus do hold it would it be obtainable via Freedom of Information request?

I am actually surprised Nexus haven't had a lot of FoI requests lately asking for Metro figures etc. Unless they have and people have been keeping them to themselves, in which case what is the point of asking for them unless their going to do a big article on a blog or something.

14xxDave

Training trains shouldn't be causing delays as they are slotted in between the normal service. One positive thing is that there is then a spare train out on the system which can be used if a service train needs to be taken out of service.

Training trains appear to be normal timetabled trains, just with the front section blanked off and a manager in there.

D.

Established Member
Training trains appear to be normal timetabled trains, just with the front section blanked off and a manager in there.

D.

Depends if it is with or without passengers. Over the past couple of months there have been various trains out without passengers on them, which normally are put out after the morning or evening peaks. On Sundays, there are sometimes trains that run down to Sunderland and South Hylton, the headcodes usually are 2I91 - 2I93 (i.e. 191-193 on Metro infrastructure). After running without passengers, the trains used are normal, timetabled services as you say.

Regarding maintenance, Nexus owns the rolling stock and therefore get a set amount from the ITA budget for maintenance. This is then passed onto DB Regio. Nexus are the ones that pull the strings. Hard to tell whether it is a lack of maintenance, or no doubt it is a lack of time to do maintenance due to the 3/4 life refurb.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Regarding maintenance, Nexus owns the rolling stock and therefore get a set amount from the ITA budget for maintenance. This is then passed onto DB Regio. Nexus are the ones that pull the strings. Hard to tell whether it is a lack of maintenance, or no doubt it is a lack of time to do maintenance due to the 3/4 life refurb.

I've got a feeling it's lack of time. My train this morning didn't show on time and was 12 late so we ended up with two trains following each other on exactly the same timetable.

There was no apology for the delay from the driver and all we got was a mumbled 'If you don't want to force your way onto this one and get all cramped and sweaty, then you should get the next train which is right behind this one.'

The train was ridiculously busy, more so than normal. And this in the end resulted in all hell breaking loose at Central. The barriers were in full operation, but there was an inspector blocking two barriers whilst she gave someone a penalty Fare, they had three gates closed off because they weren't working, so that's 5 gates gone, leaving around 5 or so. Since almost everyone of my train got of my train at Central there was a good 200 or so people waiting. They eventually released the barriers, when someone screamed, 'we're getting held up on the escalators you incompetent f***wits'. A Nexus manager was there seemingly watching over it all too, I think she got a pleasant eye opener to what happens on the system even during the peaks. If these delays remain and people are getting rammed into trains like we are currently because we just don't know when the next train will be - there was no announcement, and the information board was switched off - then I can imagine the barriers will be kept open during the peaks because of the sheer pressure. One train tends to empty at Central in the AM and this results in huge swarms of people filling the area between the ticket barriers and the escalators which I would say is really dangerous. Why the barriers weren't moved further forward, same at Monument, is beyond me.

Also, Metro staff aren't helping, they are blocking the way to the barriers and whilst I understand they are there because a lot of people are confused, what they should do is set up one side, so at Central the three barriers on the left hand side (opposite the travelshop) for those who aren't 100% confident, this can then mean those that do know what to do can keep moving fairly freely. What also hasn't helped is that some days they are closed and some days they are open. A week (at most) should be spent on a station with the barriers closed, after that week 3 inspectors will stay on that gateline until all barriers are active. This should help make sure those who use it during peak hours know what to do, people will then quickly get into the swing of things because they don't want to be held up.

Paul_10

Lets be honest, I think peoples faith in Nexus/DB has been lost a long time ago and its nothing but a total and utter mess, projects not going to plan, failures and going over budget on projects.

Platform indicators on the Hebburn-South Shields line are STILL not permanently as seemed to be the case in the previous posters post. PA boards are still not 100% active despite it nearly being 2 years since they were installed, North Shields station was way over budget, station "refurbishments" are scaled down and do you honestly bet Central and Monument will be refurbished, I highly doubt it and it certainly won't look like Haymarket.

Also seems like the barriers are proving to be a right handful and I wouldnt be surprised at all by the end of next summer, we still won't have the gates permanently used for one reason or the other.

That petition has got over 800 signatures which is not a huge number in one way because one particular person post the link constantly after every disruption and there is over 20,000 people who joined the group but it shows there are quite a number who have lost faith with Nexus/DB.

ModernRailways

Established Member
The ticket barriers are a huge failure.

This morning my train was time - I was surprised. Coming home it wasn't though.
When we reached Central the barriers were closed and once again there was a giant crush. I was stuck at the top of the escalator with people still coming up behind me. Everyone at the top was having to get ridiculously close to each other to stop something happening on the escalator. Eventually one of the CSAs on the gateline shouted across to another Inspector saying 'Release the barriers'.

This was just one train from Pelaw (short service) and so it wasn't even too busy. I can't help but think the barriers have been installed way too close to the escalators and should have been a lot further forward, possibly angled all the way across. This is happening everyday now and it's get more a more dangerous as more people are using Pop cards which are saying 'Card is unreadable'. Staff on the gatelines appear to be fairly clueless as to what to do, but then again what can they do other than release the gates and allow everyone straight through.

Another problem is the lack of Validators on stations. There should at least be 4 at all stations which have a fairly decent footfall instead of the current two.

I've emailed Nexus with these problems, but as ever they seem unable to respond so if someone else could possibly email them. Or if anyone is going along to the Meet the Manager session tomorrow to bring them up. Hopefully, it's one of the more competent ones instead of Sharon Kelly.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I use Haymarket twice a day and I've not once seen them in use.

They seem to be at Central twice a week in the AM peak. Never to be seen again.

Considering the big switch on was supposed to be in September and now January it seems like this is going to be just as reliable as the whole smart card scheme. Unintegrated, taken too long, unreadable smart cards (I took mine to the Nexus travelshop and it worked, they told me to just touch it again until it worked) and the whole system just flat out doesn't work.

Nexus are keeping very quiet about it all too. I've barely seen any publicity, people are also touching the actual screens on the validators and on the barriers (I was surprised at that). Staff only seem to be helping people during the weekday morning peak, meaning elderly/disabled passengers with their after 0930 concessionary passes haven't got a clue what to do unless they see someone else use the barrier.

Last edited:

Ze Random One

There are cryptic messages on the Nexus website about a new timetable in the new year (which is a little odd, because T&W timetable changes are usually synchronised with National Rail ones, since they use Network Rail infrastructure for some of their journey)

Has anyone heard what that's likely to entail? Just a minute or two here-or-there, or something more drastic?

ModernRailways

Established Member
There are cryptic messages on the Nexus website about a new timetable in the new year (which is a little odd, because T&W timetable changes are usually synchronised with National Rail ones, since they use Network Rail infrastructure for some of their journey)

Has anyone heard what that's likely to entail? Just a minute or two here-or-there, or something more drastic?

More than likely, they will just be removing the timetable, and doing what the buses do by saying 'Trains will run a frequent 15 minute service' but no times for trains. :lol:

Have you got a link to these cryptic messages?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's not that cryptic:

New Metro timetable from 5 January 2014. Services operating between Pelaw - Airport and Pelaw - St James will run to the new timetable. Services between Hebburn-South Shields and Fellgate - South Hylton will not change. More information will be available soon.

I can't imagine it being too drastic as the sections shared with Network Rail are not changing.

hacman

This may be reverting to a timetable similar to what was in place prior to the Benton yard being dug up last year.

The intention always was, apparently, to re-instate the Benton shorts once the signaling work was complete allowing trains to turn around quickly in the station.

Jon

Established Member
Shouldn't be changing a great deal, probably a bit more reorganisation with the short services in the peak.

Crimzz

This may be reverting to a timetable similar to what was in place prior to the Benton yard being dug up last year.

The intention always was, apparently, to re-instate the Benton shorts once the signaling work was complete allowing trains to turn around quickly in the station.

Jon

Apparently they are going to be putting Benton sidings back in but were the yard is so more then likely they will terminate trains at Four Lane Ends.

Tramfan

4084 has received a new livery advertising East Coast trains, replacing the previous Pop Card advert

ModernRailways

Established Member
Had the first activation of the SOS button on the refurbs today. A child pushed the button, when the driver came along he said to the parent 'Watch what you're bloody kids are doing, I'm late now!' He then muttered something under his breath. If they are going to install a button that is at a child's height with bright green lights around then of course it will be pushed, and drivers/staff need to understand that these things happen. If the driver had of said 'Don't worry about it, but next time don't let your kids mash the button if you can.' then it would have been fine. He's not the only driver who could do with some customer service training either, the vast majority of them could do! You get the ones who go above and beyond with an announcement for every slight delay, and then you get others who just stay silent. A prime example, would be on Thursday, the auto announcement skipped a stop so when we reached Gateshead the driver poked his head out the door to check what it was displaying. He then turned it off and made manual announcements in full detail. Coming back, a similar thing happened only instead it was going through each station. It was left going until Heworth where the driver finally switched it off. No announcements were made though about where the train was going etc. I've also found some of the Pelaw short drivers not even making an announcement and just expecting to people to get off.

/Rant

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I disagree.

I am delighted that the people I meet in everyday life are different - that they can express their moods, that they interact differently, and that they are identifiable as the different people that they are.
When we experience a uniforminty of expression, or suffer the pain of hearing a 'customer service' shpiel, then, I will complain.

I caught a few seconds of a BBC Radio 4 discussion last night about Charles Dickens' ability to celebrate the differences between people. I support that position, and detest any imposed scripting or uniformity in the way people express themselves in the workplace. Give me a grumpy driver and the jolly driver any day, rather than the corporate shpiel.

tjohnson86

4084 has received a new livery advertising East Coast trains, replacing the previous Pop Card advert

Seems like 4084 will either be one of the cars not to be refurbished, or one of the last to go down to Doncaster then.

On another note, I've noticed alot more refurbed units out in service in the last few weeks, does anyone have any idea as to how many and what percentage of metrocars have been refurbished now?

Dont use the system too much now and havent really been following this page in the last couple weeks but noticed that 4011 and 4078 have both been refurbished and in passenger service. I assume these 2 are the most recent ones that have been done.

Established Member
Had the first activation of the SOS button on the refurbs today. A child pushed the button, when the driver came along he said to the parent 'Watch what you're bloody kids are doing, I'm late now!' He then muttered something under his breath. If they are going to install a button that is at a child's height with bright green lights around then of course it will be pushed, and drivers/staff need to understand that these things happen. If the driver had of said 'Don't worry about it, but next time don't let your kids mash the button if you can.' then it would have been fine. He's not the only driver who could do with some customer service training either, the vast majority of them could do! You get the ones who go above and beyond with an announcement for every slight delay, and then you get others who just stay silent. A prime example, would be on Thursday, the auto announcement skipped a stop so when we reached Gateshead the driver poked his head out the door to check what it was displaying. He then turned it off and made manual announcements in full detail. Coming back, a similar thing happened only instead it was going through each station. It was left going until Heworth where the driver finally switched it off. No announcements were made though about where the train was going etc. I've also found some of the Pelaw short drivers not even making an announcement and just expecting to people to get off.

/Rant

Try seeing it from a different point of view. The SOS button is there for a reason, i.e. in case someone genuinely needs help. Imagine having to go back and check every time one of these goes off. It is much like the bell to stop a bus. I must have been on hundreds of buses where the bell is pressed countless times by a young kid whilst the parent sits there and does nothing. It is a two way situation so people should keep better control over their children, to stop it from happening constantly.

Regarding announcements, do you really need to know the reason for every single delay? I've heard people muttering about the train going slow from Ilford Road to South Gosforth - if they looked through the front window, they would quickly realise that there is already a train at South Gosforth and therefore that one needs to clear the platform before another train can enter. Again, this happens countless times on the system everyday especially during the peaks with the short services running. In any case, most people take very little notice of the announcements, which is evident when there is engineering work on and services do not run to the normal destination.

Two way game. Not everyone plays it. That is life.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4038 has also received the same livery and both are paired together doing the peak workings.

Along with the Emirates cars, they'll probably be together until one has a fault or goes for an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.