• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_10

Just wondering if anyone knew the type of work and timeframe for teh last major overhaul of the Metrocars that was done at Gosforth?

As far as I understand, it took around 5 years for the last refurbishment to do, indeed I remember on some metrocars displaying plaques menturning the metrocar refurbishment took place between 1995-2000 by the Gosforth Depot team.

According to what I read, this refurbishment will be of a bigger scale hence the works being done in Doncaster and not in Gosforth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blue sabre

Are the works still going as planned? If so we should be seeing the first one return soon?

Established Member
As far as I understand, it took around 5 years for the last refurbishment to do, indeed I remember on some metrocars displaying plaques menturning the metrocar refurbishment took place between 1995-2000 by the Gosforth Depot team.

According to what I read, this refurbishment will be of a bigger scale hence the works being done in Doncaster and not in Gosforth.

The earlier refurb was done in the Top Shed, which is now part of Nexus Rail and not DB, so not much room for new refurbs in the main shed. It would have been possible but there is a lot of other work going on at the minute which would have to be shifted/delayed.

daniel3982

Any updates on this refurb programme?

Have heard the new cars will be white inside and out, that can't be right can it?

valenta

Any updates on this refurb programme?

Have heard the new cars will be white inside and out, that can't be right can it?

I think the interior is white. Not sure about the exterior, there is a more active debate in another thread. See my post further up the page.

Established Member
One coming back is expected to be early September now. 2 Metrocars will have to come back for the comissioning runs.

Established Member
Anyone know what the hell Kaiser grey actually looks like? I've found a BMW in a Kaiser colour that is silver but no Kaiser grey.

goldsmithb

This is a question thats been on my mind, in the future when the Metro-Cammell Fleet is eventually retired, what will happen with the carriages, will they get recycled or sent to the scrapyard and/or will some get given to Heritage Railways, Museums or Rich Enthusiasts. And Yes I know that this is a "couple of years in advance"
Thanks

Established Member
This is a question thats been on my mind, in the future when the Metro-Cammell Fleet is eventually retired, what will happen with the carriages, will they get recycled or sent to the scrapyard and/or will some get given to Heritage Railways, Museums or Rich Enthusiasts. And Yes I know that this is a "couple of years in advance"
Thanks

I'd hope that at least one full set (i.e. two Metrocars), possibly 4001/02 would be preserved. Stephenson raiwlay museum would be a good place to put them, or even the NRM at York or Shildon.

Person A

More information now, this time on the exterior, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402998&page=84
Seems to suggest it will be dark, (Kaiser) grey.

I think it'll be a case of whatever it is, we'll only know when we see it. Should be mid-Sept latest, I gather.
You know yourself how often we have people being told it'll be this colour and that colour, then when it's actually there, it's totally different to everything previously said.
I just hope the colours will be across the board rather than the range we have now.

Established Member
I think it'll be a case of whatever it is, we'll only know when we see it. Should be mid-Sept latest, I gather.
You know yourself how often we have people being told it'll be this colour and that colour, then when it's actually there, it's totally different to everything previously said.
I just hope the colours will be across the board rather than the range we have now.

I wouldn't be suprised if it came back bright orange now...

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'd hope that at least one full set (i.e. two Metrocars), possibly 4001/02 would be preserved. Stephenson raiwlay museum would be a good place to put them, or even the NRM at York or Shildon.
It would be very fitting to see at least one of the prototype cars, most likely 4001, preserved at the Stephenson Railway Museum, given that they utilise the test track originally used to test the two original Metrocars before they entered service.

I can't see many of the Metrocars being preserved in the future. They're limited to a very small geographic area, and the way that the British preservation movement is set up has never proved conducive to the preservation of large numbers of electric vehicles. Though I suspect that at the very least 4001 will have a future in preservation.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't be suprised if it came back bright orange now...
I've always thought that an adaptation of the orange and black promotional livery applied to 4002 would have worked very well as a modern looking fleet scheme. :D

Established Member
I've always thought that an adaptation of the orange and black promotional livery applied to 4002 would have worked very well as a modern looking fleet scheme. :D

I'll have it in any colour, as long as it is due back sooner rather than later. Lot of people getting quite impatient for it to come back from Donny!
Two cable thefts in 3 days. Not good - had to walk to Monument on Monday, luckily didn't affect me today.

Established Member
According to the Nexus Discussion forum the 1st train is due back later this month (next 3 weeks or so).

Paul_10

Better late than never! Although I'll believe it when I see it.

I been thinking when they do bring it back, I was wondering around what time will they bring it back to North Shields? Will they do like they apparently done to the new Blackpool tram and cover it up and bring it back at night so no one see it for its official launch at St James' for example or will the official launch be at the sidings in North Shields and they will bring it back during the day(perhaps even covered up)? I'm sure the residents may have something to say if it was bought back during the night so i can only imagine its coming back during the day.

cdonnigan

When its due there will probably be a battery locomotive in the siding at hylton street to get it back to depot or even two cause they Will have to cross onto the north shields in line. Then onto the other siding to turn round and goto depot it could be possible they would do it first light on a Sunday morning because of the later start of public service. Just another thought is there any line closures planned for weekends in the next few weeks so they could try sneak it through without being seen.

Established Member
There is supposed to be some sort of big unveiling when it does come back for the media, so I'm 95% sure that they'll have it covered. If it wasn't someone on the A19 would be able to spoil the surprise.

There is some work going on on the 25th between South Gosforth and Shiremoor, which would mean it would have to travel via Manors if it did come on that weekend. As cdonnigan says there'll have to be battery locos available (think two is needed as it should be classed as a 'dead' train). Plus then it will have a couple of weeks of commissioning before being out on revenue service.

Paul_10

When you say it like that, then I will have to agree they would probably have it covered up. I thought Huw on the Nexus forum said that 2 cars will be coming back at the same time and they will then run as a pair for tests but I guess one car will come back and then I assume the 2nd one will come back the next day perhaps?

I assume the unveiling will take place at Hylton Street siding instead of St James' seeing as I don't think it will be the safest idea of having sheeting over a train in tunnels and under OHL!

I just hope they pass the commission runs and get them into passenger service ASAP but it just would not surprise you if there is yet further delays.

cdonnigan

All speculation really we can guess and make up what we want but until nexus do a press release all we can do is wait and hope. As to a unveiling of it maybe they might do a depot opening day for likes of the press and city knobs. My mind working overtime as well as im thinking about the old test track and some sort of presentation in the museum away from the main metro system.

Person A

All speculation really we can guess and make up what we want but until nexus do a press release all we can do is wait and hope. As to a unveiling of it maybe they might do a depot opening day for likes of the press and city knobs. My mind working overtime as well as im thinking about the old test track and some sort of presentation in the museum away from the main metro system.

I can add that we have our uniforms now (bar the shirts and big winter coats) and we expect to be given the OK to wear new uniforms (they're totally different - they'll surprise you - paticularly the big M on the jacket back....) and that'll be to coincide with the new trains running out. My guess is that it'll be for the morning rush, and back to depot, then evening rush, then depot for the first couple of days.
Be interesting who gets to drive the new set first. Maybe me....:roll:

Established Member
Big media event when the first one went down at Hylton Street, so could be one there when it arrives back. Would probably cause too much disruption if they were to do it in the depot.

Have seen one of the new ties (bit different to what I was expecting). Not sure how long commissioning will take, although I assume this will be ECS only? If that is the case then the fleet will be severely reduced.
Was on 4040 at the weekend - automatic announcements failed at Monument and driver had to manually announce "Doors closing". Nexus are not having a very good time with these announcements.

davo882000

In my opinion, Sunderland could be an ideal location however, Park Lane - South Hylton have no cross overs until you actually arrive at South hylton station, Another possibility is that when engineering works occurs ( nearly every week! ) this would be the ideal opportunity to set motion working, I am presuming that they can go 80km or 55mph on the tracks...just a thought... as for East Boldon sidings, dont think they have ever been used, although there are sidings at Sunderland and Pelaw which could be used

Established Member
AFAIK they may not be allowed onto NR rails if they haven't been commissioned. So I'm guessing the commissioning will take place somewhere on the actual Metro network, most probably at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.