• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Those shots at Manors turned out great! What a fantastic collection :D

Jordy

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
So, any comments?
It was difficult to view your EXIF data (tip: Photo Facilities > Visitors can request 'Image Info' popup: YES), but I found a way.

Some of your photos appear too dark, and lack depth of field, this is because it was a cloudy day and you had Exposure Compensation set to -1. I think you probably meant to set it to +1 (or even +2) but accidentally set it to -1?

This meant that your camera tried to compensate by using a larger aperture, which meant you lost some depth of field.

Also I noticed some of the shutter times seemed faster than they needed to be, especially as you weren't photting trains moving at a high speed. Slowing down the shutter speed a bit (but not too much) would help let more light in.

Hope that helps!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the advice, will note for the future :)

The trains were going at a fair speed through Manors though, accelerating to about 80mph.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
Thanks for the advice, will note for the future :)

The trains were going at a fair speed through Manors though, accelerating to about 80mph.
Line speed at Manors is 40mph[1], but I'm told by JonB that 1/100 would be suitable for that speed, so roughly 2.3 times as much light could have been let in at that setting. :idea:

[1] According to my Video 125 DEV.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Only 40! Seemed much quicker. I can't manually set shutter speed though, it does it for me.

Jordy

Established Member
I agree it did seem quicker than 40mph, i'll show a video soon and then we can see, maybe the trains started accelerating sooner than they were supposed to??

Jordy

The Gricer

yorkie said:
Line speed at Manors is 40mph[1], but I'm told by JonB that 1/100 would be suitable for that speed, so roughly 2.3 times as much light could have been let in at that setting. :idea:
At 40mph a train would move 7in (18cm) in the 100th of a second that the shutter was open so I guess how sharp the picture came out would depend on how close it was and the angle the shot was taken from.
I used to hate trying to take pictures of moving trains with a digital. This was due not so much to the lack of manual control but more to the awful shutter lag of digital cameras in general, especially the earlier models, which meant I had to try and guess where the train would be by the time the shutter went off. I'd often end up with a nice sharp photo but with the front end of the subject off the picture! Cameras are of course getting better all the time and my current one isn't too bad in this respect.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.