• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne Commission Quay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Fertgusson

What was the route of the Boat Trains to Tyne Commission Quay from Newcastle? Other sources state branch from Percy Main, but all maps I have seen do not show any track connections from Percy Main, but just the line from the north via Backworth area

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
What was the route of the Boat Trains to Tyne Commission Quay from Newcastle? Other sources state branch from Percy Main, but all maps I have seen do not show any track connections from Percy Main, but just the line from the north via Backworth area

I think it was a reversal on the line to Backworth north of Percy Main. Been reading the Suburban Railways of Newcastle-upon-Tyne by Alan Young (one of the books in the series that Martin Bairstow wrote in the main).

Taunton

Established Member
I believe this is correct, a reversal was required. It was a nuisance short journey, and again if I recall correctly just a couple of through coaches from a Kings Cross to Newcastle service would be taken forward to connect with a ship. Some time in the 1960s this was given up and buses were hired to link Newcastle station with the vessel. Tyne Commission Quay is quite a way down river, and I am guessing is not actually within Newcastle at all. Should not be confused with the electric locos used on the Quayside Branch nearer to Newcastle centre, which was freight only.

Buttsy

Established Member
I think DMUs were used in later years from Newcastle only for ease of reversal.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I believe this is correct, a reversal was required. It was a nuisance short journey, and again if I recall correctly just a couple of through coaches from a Kings Cross to Newcastle service would be taken forward to connect with a ship. Some time in the 1960s this was given up and buses were hired to link Newcastle station with the vessel. Tyne Commission Quay is quite a way down river, and I am guessing is not actually within Newcastle at all. Should not be confused with the electric locos used on the Quayside Branch nearer to Newcastle centre, which was freight only.

The Tyne Commission Quay is near the Royal Quays outlet centre, just to the east of Percy Main. Roughly 6 miles from Newcastle?

Jim Fertgusson

Thanks for responses on how trains reached Tyne Commission Quay. This station is shown on my old A to Z Atlas, on east side of Albert Edward Dock (the original name of Tyne Commission Quay) adjacent to the River. Another query: In the same area, at which location at Percy Main did the "Jam" train that operated to and from Backworth Colliery in WW1 terminate? Also, does the current heritage operation based on Middle Engine Lane run on the former Backworth Colliery Line? Due to my silly error, my surname was misspelt, its actually Fergusson! Anything relevant that comes to light, I pass on to Michael Quick, custodian of the RCHS Station Chronology. Some of you may be interested in my web-site: railwaystationlists.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.