• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawky22

I noticed a DB coal train heading into TYne Dock , must have been the first one in a long long time . Anyone know why ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
I noticed a DB coal train heading into TYne Dock , must have been the first one in a long long time . Anyone know why ?

There are two coal trains in and out for the rest of this week up to and including Friday :

4N00 0251 Milford West Sdgs to Tyne Dock 0617
6Z54 0834 Tyne Dock to Cottam Power Station 1815
4N82 0919 Milford West Sdgs to Tyne Dock 1242
6Z85 1536 Tyne Dock to Cottam Power Station 0022

cawky22

Thanks for the info , I saw the afternoon one loading today, never got on id on the loco.

Legzr1

This is the second week it's been running - 9 trains from Mon-Fri.

More than likely just DBS moving the stuff GBRf can't handle through lack of loco/wagon/staff.

cawky22

Thats over a half a full ship load shifted in 18 trips WOW ,
A normal shipment is about 68 000 MTonnes in a ship 225 metres long .
Average coal train carries about 1700 Tonnes.

Last edited:

TVHH

Couldn't do all of them this week, according to our leader cottam ask how many can we do.
We say such and such and the rest gets farmed out, there was extra ferrybridges as well this week so all sets in use no doubt.

Legzr1

That climb isn't so bad.

What makes it a complete PITA is the position of the weighbridge (3mph max) and occasional rainfall.

Established Member
How many trains a day are leaving Tyne Dock and are they planning on increasing this ?

Port of Tyne seems to be ever-expanding, so hopefully this is good news in terms of sending stuff by rail.

cawky22

Heard rumours of another bulk carrier berth getting built and another biomass storage shed going up , the one we have now can hold 65 000 tonnes + . And plans to double the number of trains to 25 a day !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Saw another DB coal train in the Dock today at about 1250 . Just seen another one at 2000 , could not id loco . Also this has an interesting article on the biomass :- http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/cache/files/1361-1332235630/CurrentMarch2012.pdf
I was talking to the agent of the coal ship yesterday and he said there are other companies that want to build biomass storage facilities at TYNE dock, each company needs it's own shed to keep it's biomass in , also rumours of bigger ships coming in part loaded with coal.

Last edited:

cawky22

JUst heard yesterday from someone working for Port of Tyne that there is going to be another biomass facility built and DB have had wagons converted for this , could double the amount of biomass trains.

cawky22

Saw 66731 getting a help out of the port today off another 66 ,
the incline is 1 in 37 and when the 9Fs used to run to Consett
Steel works they used to get banked too.

cawky22

Just been told today from a cargo unloader that all powerstations are stockpilling the coal as it is cheaper than gas at the moment .
Immingham is having problems as they have a broken conveyor belt and some ships have been at anchor off the port for 3 weeks...
Tyne dock is loading 14 trains per day which equates to about 24 000 tonnes per day , dont think they can unload that amount off the ships per day ,
interesting times ahead ...

John55

Just been told today from a cargo unloader that all powerstations are stockpilling the coal as it is cheaper than gas at the moment .
Immingham is having problems as they have a broken conveyor belt and some ships have been at anchor off the port for 3 weeks...
Tyne dock is loading 14 trains per day which equates to about 24 000 tonnes per day , dont think they can unload that amount off the ships per day ,

Are you sure it isn't just the normal build up of coal stockpiles before the high demands of winter are upon us? I believe there are strict limits as to how much coal can be burned for electricity generation so it is not normally possible to significantly increase the coal burn due to price changes.

The port has stockpiles on site and can of course in the short term load more coal than the 10,000 tonnes/day which the unloading facilities can manage.

Presumably if the proportion of biomass is increasing, as this is less dense than coal, this will need more trains per tonne to move.

cawky22

Hi John , I think its more than the usual build up as I was told that with the price being so low that the powerstations are taking advantage . The old dock that was filled in recently is going to be used as an extra storage area for coal too .The biomass shipments have dropped right down and I heard that the last ship that sailed over a week ago was the last of the wood pellets for the year , something to do with the tax relief being stopped. This video at 4 minutes shows the size of the old dock that was TYNE DOCK :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2OmRhMU-s4&feature=g-upl

mac

I go past Ferrybridge power station a couple of times a week and over the last 3 months they have stockpiled more coal than in the last 4 years

D1009

Established Member
Tyne dock is loading 14 trains per day which equates to about 24 000 tonnes per day , don't think they can unload that amount off the ships per day ,

Do you mean IS loading or WILL load ? 14 trains a day seems beyond the capacity of the rail facility currently.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Do you mean IS loading or WILL load ? 14 trains a day seems beyond the capacity of the rail facility currently.
I would have said that myself, but three weeks ago there were 13 departures a day:

6H36 02:04 to Drax PS
6B12 05:00 to West Burton PS
6Y11 06:23 to Ferrybridge PS
6H93 08:43 to Drax PS
6H30 09:40 to Drax PS (BIOMASS)
6Y96 10:34 to Ferrybridge PS
6H90 13:37 to Drax PS
6V05 15:12 to Didcot PS
6B01 17:54 to West Burton PS
6N78 19:08 to Wilton
6H92 19:49 to Drax PS
6H34 20:50 to Drax PS (BIOMASS)
6B07 23:30 to West Burton PS

Not bad!! :shock:

MARK

cawky22

I was told by a GBRF driver that they are after 25 departures a day .
Also as there are only 2 GBRF drivers that can drive a 70 they will be very busy soon when 99 arrives.
I would have said that myself, but three weeks ago there were 13 departures a day:

6H36 02:04 to Drax PS
6B12 05:00 to West Burton PS
6Y11 06:23 to Ferrybridge PS
6H93 08:43 to Drax PS
6H30 09:40 to Drax PS (BIOMASS)
6Y96 10:34 to Ferrybridge PS
6H90 13:37 to Drax PS
6V05 15:12 to Didcot PS
6B01 17:54 to West Burton PS
6N78 19:08 to Wilton
6H92 19:49 to Drax PS
6H34 20:50 to Drax PS (BIOMASS)
6B07 23:30 to West Burton PS

Not bad!! :shock:

MARK[/QUOTE
So thats 11 coal trains a day which is about 19000 tons of coal a day .
No wonder the coal stock piles are getting smaller as it is taking about 5 days to unload a cargo of 67 000 tons .

PS at the moment the wood pellets are going by lorry to Drax , a guy on the gate said there was a problem with the unloading line at Drax.
There is a shipment of wood pellets due to arrive on the 26 th , but I have heard that Drax have sold this to Ironbridge and this is to be used to start off there biomass
generating until the Liverpool biomass terminal is built .

Last edited:

Teaboy1

Biomass is the way forward / flavor of the week at the moment. I expect that there will be a significant increase in BM over this coming year as 3 Yorkshire stations come on-stream. Drax is planning to increase its % of biomass to go greener and they already have the silos and firing hardware to increase its consumption.
Viewed from M1 Tinsley viaduct is the new EON Biomass plant at Blackburn Meadows taking shape with fuel bunker and boiler house well advanced. Tinsley spur will doubtless be used ??? unless its going to be all road deliveries.
SSE are just about to begin piling for their BM plant at Ferrybridge C, as seen from new A1M so expect this on-line maybe 2014 and this is designed for wood waste rather than biomass.
Japan currently buy masses of BM from South Africa (Durban area & Richards Bay) so expect BM trains to increase significantly over next few years but the black stuff will still be in abundance. Liverpool still not online yet BUT we still dependent on foreign supplies for our energy, when will we stop goofing about chasing this stop-gap method of power generation and go nuclear???? Maltby pit now axed and should cease with last train to Drax about early February. Dont yet know about coal slurry to Tyne Dock, depends if they decide to put a washing plant into Maltby soil heap ????

Established Member
Drax were getting a lot of wood by-products from Sweden and other Scandinavian countries, so good to see that it is still being used.

L&Y Robert

I would have said that myself, but three weeks ago there were 13 departures a day.

Looking at the Tyne Dock branch on Google Earth, it seems as if all this traffic must share the tracks of the Tyne and Wear Metro before gaining access to the real railway somewhere. Is this right? And where is that 'somewhere'? Does Nexus mind?

Established Member
Looking at the Tyne Dock branch on Google Earth, it seems as if all this traffic must share the tracks of the Tyne and Wear Metro before gaining access to the real railway somewhere. Is this right? And where is that 'somewhere'? Does Nexus mind?

It runs over the Metro line between Tyne Dock and Simonside, the Metro line goes into a tunnel at this point. From there it joins the Durham Coast line at Brockley Whins - all sections controlled and owned by Network Rail.

There are plans mooted for a short link for the Metro between Tyne Dock and Brockley Whins, which would see shared use, but not much more than talk at the minute.

JohnCarlson

It does seem a lot but good news if its true. I am amazed they can get past the metro workings. Can anyone post the number of trains leaving and arriving per day at the moment?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Viewed from M1 Tinsley viaduct is the new EON Biomass plant at Blackburn Meadows taking shape with fuel bunker and boiler house well advanced. Tinsley spur will doubtless be used ??? unless its going to be all road deliveries.

Two railway lines running alongside it, if it isnt rail loading it will be a disgrace!

It runs over the Metro line between Tyne Dock and Simonside, the Metro line goes into a tunnel at this point. From there it joins the Durham Coast line at Brockley Whins - all sections controlled and owned by Network Rail.

There are plans mooted for a short link for the Metro between Tyne Dock and Brockley Whins, which would see shared use, but not much more than talk at the minute.

am i right in thinking they share track bed not tracks? doesnt it go single line here? Might be confused with a different rail terminal slightly to the west that handles petroleum?

What would the purpose of this short link be?

Last edited:

Ze Random One

There is no shared running on the approaches to Tyne Dock, and the only instance of shared running is between Sunderland and Pelaw.
After leaving the mainline at Boldon, the main Tyne Dock line heads NNE, before crossing the Metro line (which is in a tunnel here as mentioned before [1]). It then snakes past an industrial estate before crossing the A194 just at the A185 roundabout, heading directly in to the bulk/coal [2] and container terminals.
I should note that the OS map has an inaccuracy, as there is no permanent way connecting the Tyne Dock branch with the Metro line any more.

There is a separate Oil terminal in Jarrow [3], which is reached by running alongside the Metro line between Pelaw and Jarrow. This is fully segregated running, with completely independent permanent way and signalling for the Oil and Metro services, which has necessitated some single-tracking of the Metro line here (the single-track is not a problem for the infrequent oil services)

I attach a map, and the numbers in square brackets above should relate to the points on the map (hoping it works -- you may need to scroll a little)
http://binged.it/10a0d6B

Finally, I always thought that Metro also had the potential for using another former alignment in this area to provide a Sunderland - South Shields service, which follows the B1298 northwards from Boldon, to join the Metro line closer to Tyne Dock. The advantage of this over the shorter Tyne Dock route is the potential for extending Metro service to two more neighbourhoods [4] and [5], with one station easy walking distance from South Tyneside Hospital [5], as well as segregating goods and Metro earlier. A predominantly single track alignment would probably be fine, as the passenger flow is never going to warrant a particularly high service frequency.

Established Member
A Tyne Dock - Brockley Whins line would also increase flexibility if something were to happen between Pelaw and Simonside - a good diversionary route. Would be relatively easy to implement and wouldn't require more stock.

The section between Pelaw and Jarrow Oil Terminal is interesting, as it would have been much easier to allow shared working rather than have it totally segregated. The single track sections between Hebburn and Jarrow and Jarrow and Simonside are what limits more trains being run on the South Shields line, and there is normally only 2 oil trips per day in each direction, which could easily fit in between the Metro services. BR freight used to run to Fawdon and Callerton, so not really sure why BR didn't allow the Metro to use the line between Pelaw and Jarrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.